April 20, 2014 | 1711 users online

Mascara - Jane Iredale - Longest Lash Mascara

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2014 9:04:00 PM More reviews by zoepaquin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've used this for six months and I like it. It's nice to have a mascara in my arsenal that I'm sure will not clump, ever. I like a natural face and a clumpy mascara can ruin the no-makeup makeup look in no time. Most of the time I'm in a hurry when I put on my makeup, so I don't have time to ''unclump'' or be particularly careful. The downside is that the product goes on very thinly, and needs at least two applications to really make a noticeable effect, though that may be because I got in in the brown shade, which is more discrete than the black.

The claim that this mascara makes lashes longer is actually true. It relies on little hair-thin filaments a few millimiters in length that are in the mascara and which get ''glued'' parallel to the lashes with the upward movement of the brush, thereby extending the length, especially with build-up applications.

It's expensive for mascara, even if the ingredients are great and all natural and non-irritating. I might buy it again, but I'd happily try a less expensive natural mascara. I swear by Iredale's pressed powder foundation, which I will keep on buying at any price, but I feel it is not as hard to find a good mascara as it is to find the perfect foundation, therefore I am less willing to spend big bucks for mascara.

I'm giving this a four out of five because the packaging ought to be much better considering the price range. I dislike the soft plastic tube, the shape of it reminds me of polysporin packaging... Yes, the product delivers, but my 10$ L'Oréal mascara packaging feels twice as luxurious, and that isn't right.

Application tip : the texture of this mascara is hard to define, but it makes it so that it does not glide on super-well, though that's fine because I believe that its texture has to do with how it never clumps and is buildable... anyhow I found on youtube an application tip a few weeks ago that works great with it and totally counteracts the difficulty I had with putting on a heavy coat of it. Use a piece of carton or a business card to apply it! Place an edge of the card on top of your eyelid just next to your lash line, it will hold the eyelid in place (while you use your mascara brush as usual), so you can push and pull the mascara more easily on your lashes.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2013 1:24:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

This mascara lengthens and separates the lashes. The formula is a little dry but it does not clump when applying. I used the color Black Ice, which is a soft black, so it defines the lashes while not looking overdone or too obvious. It also smudges somewhat, not horribly, but enough to be annoying. The packaging is kind of novel.

This mascara does what it says (though with flaws)...however, it's not spectacular and definitely not worth the high price tag. I can get this lash effect from several of drugstore brands at a fraction of the cost.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/10/2012 7:41:00 PM More reviews by Alfordalice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

jane iredale do amazing lip stains and amazing powders. But the mascaras are all terrible. Not black and glossy but more of an ashy looking muted grey, very clumpy, very messy.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/10/2012 6:15:00 PM More reviews by dawnlois

I wish there had been a way I could have said "oh hell no!" when asked if I'd buy this again! Oh wait - I just did!! And no joke - this is hands down the absolutely suckiest mascara I have EVER tried. Thank the good Lord this was a sample - in the BeautyBar Sample Society box, which I love with all my heart - but never mind that now.
This horrible, dry, clumpy, dusty-gray-passing-for-black CRAP is the most awful mascara on Earth - oh wait, I already said that. I would have been monumentally pissed if I had actually paid money for this junk. And just think - Jane Iredale actually charges THIRTY freaking dollars for this! A tube of mascara!! Wish I could take out an ad in the paper warning vulnerable, gullible women (kind of like me sometimes!) to stay far, far away.
I probably wouldn't be so vehement on the subject, except I actually wore this crap this morning - and here I am at my computer 10 hours later after having washed it off - what little that was on my eyelashes and not under my eyes - and I am still picking long disgusting fibers out of my eyes and off my cheeks, where they swooped and fluttered all the live long day. I will probably be paying for this till I wash my face a few more times - I could not be a whole lot more irritated that I am right now.
Don't waste your money, ladies - just don't.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/27/2011 5:13:00 PM More reviews by jabritao

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Full disclosure: I may end up lowering this rating once I have used the product for a longer period of time. Also, I applied Jane Iredale's Pure Lash Conditioner, prior to the Longest Lash Mascara.

While looking for a natural mascara option, I ran a comparison between this mascara (left eye) and the Rilastil one (right eye), one coat each. I like a very natural look with mascara. I do not want to look like I am wearing mascara at all. The Jane Iredale mascara evenly coated and lengthened my blonde eyelashes. The look was clean and elegant. The Rilastil was better for instant volumizing but it also looked thick and unnatural. I was told that both are tar free.

As far as the appearance of the mascara goes, it is a matter of taste. I asked a good friend which she liked. Unlike me, she preferred the Rilastil.

I put the mascara on at 3pm. By 9pm, some, but not much, of the Rilastil mascara was flaking off. I decided to leave them both on all night to see what happens. The Jane Iredale mascara never flacked. Both still looked pretty good on day two.

Edit:

I have been using the Dark Blonde color for a few months now. I have a number of complaints:

1) It is gloppy and sticky. Perhaps this is b/c my tube, purchased from SkincareRX, who I like a lot, is older? Perhaps it's b/c it's a slightly different formulation than the black? Either way, it is messy and difficult to apply. In addition to it getting around my eyelashes, it's also gotten in my eyes a number of times. I've never had that happen before! I have my first case of pink eye in 14 years. Coincidence?

2) The tube is annoying. If the mascara has fewer preservatives, I'd rather have a *smaller* container. I'd always like a smaller container for mascara since I have to travel w/ it from time to time. I think the larger container is JI's way to have an excuse for charging $30 per item.

3)The lash brush should be a better quality for the high price.

I do still like that it is a more natural product that rates well on the EWG Cosmetic Database.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2010 2:27:00 PM More reviews by thejacks

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

am liking this very much as i like to wear false lashes and this product blends real and fakes together with no clumping. when used on my own lashes alone they are natural looking but not dramatic. no racoon eyes with this which is a plus. if you are a real natural girl then this would be for you as it is not over the top pigment.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2010 11:33:00 AM More reviews by Aeon1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I received this as part of a gift set from JI. I have sensitive eyes and wear contacts. So most mascara doesn't work for me at all - the fibers end up scratching my eyes, or the scent bothers my lenses, or they flake, or they just look darn dirty and, well, like I'm wearing mascara.

If you want the smudgy, smoky, "dirty" eye look, then this JI product isn't for you. If you want that "slept in my makeup because I'm a rock n roll star" look, that's DiorShow, not this product. The goal of this product is to give you a longer but still very natural and polished look.

The matching conditioner product is essential to my mind. 2 coats of that lengthens, lifts, and separates the lashes, so it's impossible for them to clump. Let that dry thoroughly between each coat - very important for adhesion. Otherwise the mascara might "powder off" towards the end of the day.

2 light coats of this JI mascara after that will give a very nice but still natural look, with just a sweet glossy sheen to the lashes. Wiggle each coat on the lashes and brush slightly to the side as you do. Don't apply straight on - this sideways motion helps enhance the effect slightly. Again, let dry thoroughly between coats!

Following this procedure kept my mascara on nicely for 8 hours. The only comment I got was "pretty eyes" from my BF - very good!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2010 2:05:00 PM More reviews by janettad

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love the natural ingredient list! Love the minimalist packaging! Brush is not bad. For me, it takes way too long, way too many coats to get the look that I can get with 1 coat of my Cover Girl Professional Anti-Smudge(*7* Rating on Skin Deep - High Risk). Then, after all that effort, by lunch, I look like I forgot to put mascara on. It doesn't really flake, it's more like it turns to dust, like very powdery eyeshadow. Weird. Doesn't give me raccoon eyes, but you can see just a little dark powder under my eyes. So, this goes in the reject pile.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2010 12:12:00 PM More reviews by SweetCupcakez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I'm a sucker for cute packaging and loved the tube design, and thus decided to get this product in Black Ice despite the £20.80 price tag.

I thought this would be " The One " seeing as I had turned " all organic " and needed a Mascara with less chemicals.

I purchased this along with the Jane Iredale Pure Lash & Lengthening Mascara in Jet Black as well as The Jane Iredale Pure Lash Extender & Conditioner

I used this Mascara with the Lash Conditioner, and thought it would be as wonderful as The Pure Lash & Lengthening Mascara, but this turned out to be a real DISAPPOINTMENT.

It did nothing for my eyelashes, even when I curled them for like 5 minutes beforehand.

Nevertheless, I kept it at the bottom of my make up bag, just to look pretty..

Would I buy this again?? . . Sadly . . No . .

__________________________________
. . * ADDITIONAL INFORMATION * . .
__________________________________

- INGREDIENTS -

Water, Algae Extract, Beeswax, Carnauba Wax, Cellulose, Glyceryl Stearate, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Algae Extract, Vanilla Tahitensis Fruit Extract, Sweet Almond Seed Extract, Tribehenin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Panthenol, Oleic Acid. May contain: Iron Oxides, Carmine, Titanium Dioxide.

Only The Following shades contain Carmine: Dark Auburn & Ripe Plum.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2010 5:17:00 PM More reviews by signemarie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was extremely surprised by this product. I expected another fibre mascara which usually look bad on me, they tend to look fuzzy and smudge out quickly on my lashes. But this is such an innovative product, I have never tried anything like it and it has become my favourite daytime mascara. I am even considering buying one for my brows, because this mascara coats lashes so well and natural-looking that people can't even tell you are wearing makeup.

This formula is kind of dry for a volume mascara, but it proved to serve a purpose. With this mascara, I can actually zig-zag the brush through my lashes without any clumping or uneven distribution of the fibres. A few strokes like this make my light brown, sparse and pretty straight lashes look as if they are NATURALLY black, full, curved, healthy and thick. The fibres must cling to the single lashes or something, I didn't beleive the result the first time I used this. So natural! Whereas the volume heavyweight mascaras like Dior Show do make my lashes look huge and more voluminous, but very much because they look coated in mascara. For me at least.

I really like that this mascara dries up soft and touchable with a slight shine, like real lashes. It doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes either, this is a perfect daytime mascara.

I got a samle first, because this is crazy expensive, but I got the full size afterwards and I am thinking of getting one for my brows. Highly recommended, but only four lippies because of the insane price.