November 26, 2014 | 1954 users online

Gels/Soaps - South of France - Shea Butter Bar Soap - (ALL)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2014 7:46:00 PM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Check the Updated Ingredients list at the top bar or the bottom of my review. They have REFORMULATED this bar and it is no longer the same quality as the 1st reviewer had in 2008.

My skin usually loves natural soaps and find them very moisturising and soothing, and I saw these prominently labelled "with Organic Shea Butter" and sold under natural health sections. I thought: "Wow this ticks all the boxes and is super cheap! The Shea Butter is going to be so moisturising Wow! Potential Holy Grail!" So like an idiot I brought 3.

Well, these were so drying they stripped my skin, and left it looking like a blotchy red tomato, and feeling itchy and tight. had to pile on so much moisturiser that this bar actually cost me money, not saved it.

Here is the reason why they are can make them so cheap. They are mostly made of crappy inorganic ingredients, mainly "mass balanced palm oil". Yep. Rain forest stripping palm oil. Only the tiniest fraction is actually organic Shea Butter. Ugg. This is literally GREEN WASHING and it sucks. Don't fall for the over-blown marketing its just a cheap drying bar in a pretty label and glitzy sales talk. I could have brought 5 cheap family soaps for the price of this one and got the same results.

Which leads me onto the companies ridiculous statement "Infused with the aroma of shea butter just unloaded onto the bustling docks of the port of Marseille." Oh really. They regularly pipe shea butter aroma onto the Marseille docks for sailors to enjoy as they lovingly load little boats by hand whistling while they work? NO. NO. Its cheap industrial massed crap talked up beyond its station.

Also I do not believe it is French Triple Milled either, as it felt soft and mushy, didn't lather up creamy and the bar melted quickly away the shower. (French Milled are very hard and triple refined, and last for ages while other soaps turn to mush and don't last).

Get another soap. Dr Bronners is ok. Lots of other brands are great too.

INGREDIENTS:
Saponified mass balance palm oil, saponified coconut oil, vegetable glycerin, organic shea butter, natural colorants, blends of natural and essential oils and fragrance.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2013 7:57:00 PM More reviews by blushgirl

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a delight to use. Very creamy and lots of lather and does NOT dry my skin at all.
It leaves my skin moist. I love it ! My skin loves it. The packaging is lovely. I buy the 2 bars in one box at Kroegers in the health food section.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2013 9:05:00 AM More reviews by MichikoFliz

This soap should be much more expensive than it is. But I wouldn't want it to be because I love it! It feels super luxurious but is only around $4, score!

The shea butter soap has a lovely, comforting soap scent, that takes me back to my childhood. The scent fills up my bathroom (and hallway!)

Even though it leaves that regular tacky feeling after rinsing, just like other soaps, it doesn't dry my skin out that much. But I am a very dry skinned person, so this is probably not that drying on normal skinned folks. The scent stays on my skin for a while, which I love so much. I love using soaps on areas where my acne is problematic because it clears it up very quickly, this is no exception!

The size is huge, this will probably last me half a year.

Update: I come back with bad news! Usually natural soaps have a positive effect on my skin but this one with increased use did the opposite. My dry skin became tight after every shower and my face also suffered, leaving it red and blotchy. I don't know what it could be, maybe the added fragrance that is irritating my skin and the soap isn't fatted as much as other soaps, so it is harsher than what I am used to for my sensitive, dry skin.

I still think it is great value, smells great, thoroughly cleans but it left me wanting more. I will wait until summer to use up the rest on my body when my skin might be able to tolerate the drying effects. I really wished I could have liked this! Luckily after returning to my regular bar soap (Pelican charcoal soap) my skin is much more calm but the blotchiness might take a while to fade.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2012 11:25:00 AM More reviews by madeleine18

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This soap, and all the other scents, are AMAZING! It's silky and luxurious, without containing tallow/sodium palmate so it doesn't immediately contribute to animal cruelty. Love it, and iHerb.com stocks quite a few of the soaps, with free international shipping now too : ) It bar lasts AAAAGES, so next time I'm buying every scent before I buy a lifetime supply haha

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2012 9:39:00 PM More reviews by BeckyWV

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE this! It makes my skin soft and silky. This is now my favorite soap!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2010 4:52:00 PM More reviews by sixdemonbag

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been on an 'all natural' kick lately, and trying lots of new products that are sulfate and paraben free. I never had any problem with my usual bar soap (Jergens Mild), but alas... it has some bad stuff in it. I've been using this soap for a couple weeks now, and I love it! Even on days when I don't use any additional oils or lotions, my skin is soo soft. Like velvet. This is a great soap. It's kinda pricey, but it's a huge bar, and it's triple-milled which means that it will not shrink nearly as fast as other soaps. Smells nice and fresh too. Definitely a good buy. I'm eager to try the other South of France scents as well. Two clean, moisturized thumbs up!

Ingredients: 100% Vegetable Oils: Palm Oil/Coconut Oil/Olive Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Shea Butter, Mineral Pigments, Natural Oils and Essential Oils.

YUP - THAT'S IT!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2010 12:36:00 AM More reviews by lynea3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I buy the version South of France makes exclusively for Whole Foods. This version of soap is tripple-milled and organic. Nothing but the good stuff and tripple-milled means that the scent is condensed -- it will last longer on your skin (the scent) and it has enough shea butter to leave a noticeable result.

I'm in love with the Vetiver Cedar, although the pumelo and lemon verbana, and the lavendar are lovely, as well. This Vetiver Cedar has a touch of citrus to make it wearable for ladies. It's so passionate, and makes me think of fall year-round, and romance. If I write anymore, I might have to go take a shower.

Seriously, this soap is not cheap (around $6), however, it lasts incredibly long because it is a very dense soap. Tripple-milling is a process of reheating the soap to make it more dense, and that is why this is a higher grade of soap, and you get more of the effects of the scent and the moisturizing. The bar is large, so it's like spending $3 on 2 really decent bars. I recommend their soaps also to both men and women, particularly with sensitive, dry skin.

I like that I can use it and not use another scent. It's just enough of a delicate scent to make me feel my best.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2009 12:08:00 PM More reviews by braveheartkim

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Just discovered this soap when my stock of natural soap ran out and I neeed to grab something quick. I bought the Lavender bar and have fallen completely in love with this soap! It lathers so well and is SOOOOOOO moisturizing and soft! My skin feels CLEAN, but soft and non-oily. I even use it very successfully on my oily/acne-prone face with tremendous success. This is definitely an awesome soap that I will stick with because I can pick it up at my local grocery store!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2008 10:31:00 AM More reviews by pmnixa

I bought this soap because I wanted a natural soap product. The ingredients are:
Vegetable Oils (100%: palm-coconut-olive), Shea Butter, Mineral Pigment, Clay, Fragrance (Natural), Essential Oils

I use this in the shower and lather up with a washcloth. It smells very good (nice light scent) and lathers up well. The bar is very big (8.8oz) and lasts a long time. Doesn't melt away in the shower.

I'm so glad I found this soap!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No