October 21, 2014 | 1809 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Luminize - Gentle Lightener

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2010 5:27:00 PM More reviews by Josie3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Overall, this works on lifting your hair a little if it came out too dark (like my brown lowlights on platinum hair one time from the salon).

Just make sure to deep condition.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2010 4:34:00 PM More reviews by jmum3

I have thought about using this product for over a year. I am no longer daring about using hair color after damaging it badly a few years ago. My hair is a mousy light brown/dark blonde, and it has a drab ashy tone. I put the clear luminize in my hair and left it only about 7 minutes as I was scared it would damage it or turn brassy. It was a bit sticky rinsing it out, but I shampooed and then conditioned and it felt fine after. It did brighten my hair a bit. Had I left it on longer I would have seen more results. I will try it again in a few months and leave it on longer. I also plan to add a few face-framing highlights.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2009 4:37:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have to admit I was very nervous about using this product on my fine, dry hair. I definitely recommend doing a test strand to see what your hair is going to look like afterwards. I did a 10 minute and a 20 minute test strand. For me to notice a difference I needed to leave the product on for 20 minutes. When I rinsed it out, my hair did feel a little dry but I gave myself a deep conditioning treatment and my hair felt just fine afterwards. My hair color was lifted up one shade and just shines and shines! I would say to know what pigment your hair is so that you don't end up with apricot or orange hair after using this. Not every hair color is going to lift up one shade to a pretty color.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2009 5:27:00 PM More reviews by fairyprincess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Exactly what I was looking for! Gentle, effective, and lightens your hair without changing you into a different person. I agree that it takes longer than 10 minutes, but would I repurchase? Absoutely!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2008 1:27:00 PM More reviews by Virgo03

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a great product for anyone who wants to lighten their hair a little, but still keep it its natural color. My natural color has always been a dark honey blond, but the last few years it had darkened more than I liked. Luminize turned my hair back to the color it used to be. It also brought out the gold and copper highlights in my hair, but in a very subtle, natural-looking way. I couldn't be happier!

I was nervious about using a lightener, because my hair is very fine, but this didn't leave my hair dry or damaged in any way. Also, since it only lightens your hair by a shade or so, there are no obvious roots later. It was several months before I had enough regrowth to worry about.

I'm giving it 5 stars, even though I found the 10 min. estimate on the box to be way off! OK, they do say "up to" one level, but it took at least 25-30 min. for me to see a noticable difference in my hair.

I recommend doing several test strands ahead of time. Leave them on for different amounts of time, wash them out, and let them dry completely. Then you can decide how long you want to leave the formula on your hair. I also recommend setting aside a small amount of the formula for touch-ups. I found several missed spots after my hair had dryed. Of course, maybe that was due to my own inexperience at using hair color.