John Frieda Luxurious Volume

3.0

on 2/20/2015 11:36:00 PM

Bought this and the conditioner because I wanted to try a new volumizing routine.
It definitely worked to help with volume but after one use I developed a rash. My scalp was itching like crazy and my body. I realized it has sulphates in it which makes my skin crawl... Yikes!

If sulphates don't bother you and you're looking for a volumizing shampoo, give it a try. Otherwise steer clear of this stuff!

on 1/19/2015 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is an odd review for me to write. I bought this product accidentally. Rather, my husband bought it accidentally. Regardless, I gave both this shampoo and the matching conditioner a try.

My hair is thick, coarse, and fluffy. In fact, I use products to skinny it down. I guess I just wanted to see how a volumizing shampoo would effect it. So, I lathered up, rinsed, slathered on the conditioner, finished my shower, rinsed again. I did not deviate from my normal routine. I did go with my naturally curly hair that day, which isn't unusual.

After blow drying with a diffuser, I noticed that my hair was enormous. Super full. A gorgeous lion's mane of curls. Too big for my taste, granted, but I was impressed. I gave both shampoo and conditioner to my ten-year-old, fine-haired daughter, who loves it and enjoys her thicker hair.

on 11/12/2014 2:09:00 PM

I was experiencing some hair loss due to stress (my doctor's diagnosis). Wanted volume back. Bought the John Frieda volume shampoo, conditioner, and mousse. I'm not sure which product caused it, or maybe it was all of them, but my hair loss increased three-fold when I started using these products. And, no increased volume. My hair just laid flat, with no texture or sheen. Stopped using all of the products. My increased hair loss has subsided and hair has gotten its texture andshine back. Threw everything in the trash. Will never buy again.

Pros: Does volumize (fair job), lathers very well, no obnoxious fragrance (in fact, no detectable fragrance at all)

Con: Probably too drying for very frequent use

This shampoo is pretty average---it does do a fairly decent job of adding volume (and I have very fine hair), but the cost is that it does seem to dry hair out. It's not as excessively drying as some volumizing shampoos, but I really miss the "Brilliant Brunette Shine Release Volumizing Shampoo." That one always gave me great results, but unfortunately I can only find the moisturizing Brilliant Brunette line (and that's definitely not what I want).

Overall, this is a decent shampoo and not expensive. But it will not likely be a HG shampoo, and there are bound to be better volumizing shampoos out there.

It is an average shampoo. Could not notice any extra volume provided. Yet doesn't strip my hair or make it too dry. No particular smell detected. Creates a decent amount of foam.

on 2/24/2014 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Can a shampoo and conditioner pair give you a forehead full of acne? YES.

This John Frieda shampoo and conditioner Luxurious Volume pair gave me a raging case of acne all over my forehead. I had explosive whiteheads, large pimples and blocked pores. My skin was obviously blocked from one, or more, of the ingredients in this shampoo.

I threw it out and would NEVER buy it again.

I don't have any existing acne or pimple problem, and haven't had any breakouts for the last 20 years.

It took several months and an expensive doctor's prescription of acne medication to clear my skin. I was totally embarassed by my suddenly totally zitty forehead and it took almost 3 months for the pimple marks to disappear.

What kind of a chemical bath is this stuff?

on 11/13/2013 10:25:00 PM

Holy grail. I always keep this shampoo on hand. Whenever I want a simple and basic shampoo that just gets the job done, I reach for this. The Luxurious Volume shampoo and conditioner leave my hair soft and fluffy.. Just absolutely weightless. I love it. If you are someone that has hair prone to build up or gets oily quick, this set is for you!

on 11/7/2013 1:25:00 PM

I have super fine, thin hair and I have tried just about every shampoo out there that promises volume. To give you an example of just how good this shampoo works for me, I just purchased by third tube. It's rare that I even use an entire bottle of shampoo, much less buy it three more times. This shampoo has a nice, clean, light scent. It lathers nicely and rinses out well. While this shampoo doesn't give my hair extreme volume, my hair definitely feels fuller after I use it and it's easy to manage. I also use alot of hairspray and this shampoo cuts right through the gunk as well as any clarifying shampoo that I've used. This shampoo costs about $5.50 at Wal Mart - for the price and the results, I'm very happy with this shampoo.

on 5/4/2013 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

UGH! This left my hair a sticky gummy mess with no shine. This was so bad after 3 tries I tossed it in the garbage, horrible stuff....save your money.

on 9/13/2012 5:56:00 AM

I have very fine, very thin hair and have experienced some hairloss due to a medical condition so I need all the body I can get for my hair.
I brought this shampoo and the matching conditioner in the hopes of making my hair look like fuller, thicker, denser hair. I didn't have very high hopes for it because it didn't have many positive reviews, but I love John Frieda's Brilliant Brunette line and Luxurious Volume was on special for $10AUD each so I decided, what the heck I'll give it a go. The first time I used it when I blowdried my hair it looked and felt thicker. I styled it and later in the day when I put it in a ponytail, my ponytail actually felt thicker. And since using the shampoo and conditioner, I've had to use LESS styling products to get the volume I need! It really does volumize your hair and is safe for color treated hair! I also like the fact that it's a clear shampoo so it doesn't weigh your hair down and feels like it really cleans and removes any dulling buildup/residue. Kind of like a clarifying shampoo but not harsh at all, gentle and nourishing. The matching conditioner is light yet still a good detangler. I'm going to keep using this set as long as it keeps providing the volume I desperately need. I currently rotate it with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration to keep my hair moisturised and also so my hair doesn't get used to the same brand. Plus I like variety in my shower =) The fragrance is very mild, pleasant, soapy, clean smelling. I'm definitely going to buy the Root Booster/Lifter from this line also, because its alcohol free and I've read good things about it. I recommend this shampoo and the matching conditioner to those women who have thin, fine or straight hair with absolutely no volume on its own.

Popular Shampoos