November 23, 2014 | 2019 users online

Lipstick - Yves Saint Laurent - Rouge Pur Purple Velvet

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2012 9:20:00 PM More reviews by cremebrulee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's perfect for the vampire obsessed. It really does look like bordeaux velvet. A deep red with a purple undertone.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2011 9:02:00 AM More reviews by alabaster

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Got dark hair ( medium brown to blue black) and pale (medium to light) skin? Regardless of race this would look fantastic on you. Think of crushed burgundy rose petals or benefit benetint turned into a creamy lipstick.

It stays on and does not dry my lips. I am a dark haired MAC NC20 Asian girl and this makes me look like a movie star of yore.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2010 12:13:00 PM More reviews by sabrunka

Gorgeous lip colour!! It can be very dark, depending how you apply, but the way I do it is just use a lipbrush and apply a medium amount and it leaves my lips a dark red, but not too dark.. It lasts FOREVER and applying it with a lip brush really is the key!! You can define the lips and make them look gorgeous :) I noticed that feathering around my upper lip occured but it wasn't too bad... That was a hint that I should use liner lol. And finally, today was the first day actually wearing mine in public becuase I thought people would find it to be "too much", but I actually got a few compliments!! Great colour, definitely try it though (if you can) before you buy it, because it may be too much for you!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2009 2:32:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I read the reviews on MUA and this product sounded like it would fit the look I was seeking to create -- a Tamara Lempicka look from the Art Deco period.

I went to Neiman's and lo and behold they did not have this product in stock-- just the tester..Now I was p.o'd... so I went to Ebay, patron saint of last resort. And Lo! I found one in Great Britain, from a lovely seller who charged me a reasonable sum and shipped it so quickly I had it within a week. Lovely!

This is a perfect dark lip -- not goth, but very sexy and elegant and yes, highly reminiscent of bye gone eras and dangerously sexy women.

I did my photo work and now I get to keep my wonderful lippie.. muah..

love it and love you kids on MUA!!!! Thanks!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/28/2009 7:22:00 AM More reviews by Maki70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Grey

Bought this based on the MUA reviews, thankfully I picked it up for 11GBP on ebay because it really isn't for the faint hearted when it comes to lippy. Having such pale skin I thought it would be amazing but it just too strong for me. As a previous reviewer said it's 'cabaret' style colour and that's a perfect description, it would look great on Dita Von Teese! Do not buy this if you have thin lips. I think 'gothic red' would be a more suitable name for it. Of course being a YSL lippy it's top quality but my advice is to try before you buy!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2009 4:53:00 AM More reviews by noinoi

Can't believe this is only the second review.

Love this lipstick, fabulous strong gothic colour. Caboret style. Great with my pale skin (becca tahini sesame) dark eyes and red brown hair.

Very dramatic and stains the lips quite well. Love it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2008 6:30:00 AM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This lipstick is downright gorgeous. I can't get over these reds! I have nearly every infamous red you can think of and I can tell you right now that nobody does red lipstick like Yves Saint Laurent (this coming from a staunch Armani and Dior lover). These reds are incomparable to any I have ever seen. I finally found that lavish red I had been seeking for years quite recently in YSL's Opium Red and now I have that perfect, seductress type goth red I was looking for in YSL's Purple Velvet. I have very pale skin and love to play that up with rich red lipstick however none of the many hyped goth reds were anything they were supposed to be. Chanel's Vamp was a complete disappointment. Urban Decay's Gash was all hype and no delivery. Calvin Klein's (CK) Sinful was anything but and the list goes on.

I had really wanted to add a deeper and darker red to my collection (though most are disappointing as they are either too blotchy, too dark or lack any real fire). So many are poorly executed and end up looking too harsh. I had all but given up until I saw this color at Sephora. Because I was so utterly blown away by Opium Red, I went ahead and bought another YSL lipstick sight unseen for the second time and once again, I am totally blown away! Talk about a stunning red! Who would have thought that the world's most perfect vampiric red was hiding beneath YSL's gorgeous signature casing (breath taking all on it's own)!

This is what Chanel's Vamp tried to be. Purple Velvet is a drop dead gorgeous blood red that has a magnificent purple undertone that makes this one truly stunning, but make no mistake, this is no ordinary run of the mill deep red. This beauty is utterly bewitching and seductive. This is what sirens must have worn to lure men to their deaths on the rocks because it's utterly captivating. This deep color has an unearthly look and feel to it. It's like no other red I've ever seen (and I've seen quite a few). If you love really decadent red lipstick, you simply must try this one! Best of all, the formula is rich, creamy and intensely moisturizing (also completely full coverage which is how I like my lipstick). No need for lip balm and the scent thankfully fades (typical French rose scent). Absolutely stunning lipstick! Positively gorgeous red! I'm removing most of the lipsticks I have on my wish list because I no longer see the point!

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No