November 22, 2014 | 1676 users online

Lipstick - Estee Lauder - Signature Lipstick - 21 Soft Amethyst

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2014 2:34:00 AM More reviews by daisyq28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Lovely creamy lipstick, cool-toned soft mauvy-purple. It's so flattering on and lasts well.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2012 6:31:00 PM More reviews by parahp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I can not even describe how truly impeccable the color of this lipstick is!!!! I have not ever found a color this great! I don't even buy any other lipsticks now, and that saying something since I'm always looking around for good lipstick colors. Very beautiful on cool toned skin, especially on somewhat fair skin. Could probably work for warms toned people as well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2009 12:55:00 PM More reviews by Mac789

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Spring 2009 was the season of fuchsia, if Estee Lauder and Lancome can be believed. The respective fuchsia campaigns made bold color statements and then disappeared into the muted skintones of summer before the trend for bright pink lips caught on. Aside from certain octogenarians in Palm Beach, who have been wearing the color since the Schiaparelli days, I didn't see this new trend reflected in the mainstream.

Fuchsia has always suited me, so a bit after the fact I went to a Lauder counter to investigate, only to find out that their LE lipsticks were LG (long gone). I swatched a few possible candidates, but after a mistake made in purchasing MAC's Gladiola I was very mindful that lurid Pepto-pink is too much for my complexion. I came to some conclusion that I needed to avoid milky pinks and should look instead for those with a violet undertone.

I narrowed my selection down to two: Orchid Light and Soft Amethyst. After trying both, I bought Soft Amethyst and it has quickly become a signature color for me, replacing all those bronze glosses I wore without interruption. Soft Amethyst brightens my complexion in a way I have never experienced; if you have never achieved this effect then you won't know what I am describing. Many lipsticks look good, or good enough, but that one color that lifts tonality and makes the face look refreshed and invigorated is worthy of HG status.

I was also impressed by the creamy consistency, the excellent color payoff, the buildability, and the wear. The lipstick dried down without settling into liplines and several hours later there was still enough color on the lips so that reapplication was not necessary. For performance, this EL lipstick topped Dior (too greasy), Nars (too chalky), and Guerlain (too dry).

Soft Amethyst is a bright violet-pink with no blue tones. It is close to the color known as "Royal Fuchsia," leaning more towards the violet than it does the hot pink. continued >>

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2009 12:18:00 PM More reviews by CharismaSL

Totally agree with 'makeupismagic'. I top this off with a pink gloss and it's sheer perfection. For reference I'm an NC20-25 with yellow undertones and can wear both warm and cool toned colourings.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2008 11:50:00 PM More reviews by makeupismagic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As a warm/ neutral that can sometimes pull off cool lip colors I decided while buying some signature lipsticks from Estee Lauder that I would venture into that territory with the signature line. The SA and I decided that nearly all of the cool shades in this line suited me, yay, I was very happy :-) The one I decided on was soft amethyst, a very soft amethyst purple with heavy pink tones in it. If you're a warm or neutral and want to travel farther afield into the cool zone, hahahaha, like it's some forbidden place, I'm such a dork, then this may be a great color to get your toes wet with. The formula is outstanding, so creamy and smooth, plus it lasts really long for such a lovely soft formula. There are so many stunning colors in this line and I have so many, still, I WANT MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!