Maybelline Define-A-Line Eyeliner in Ebony Black

on 6/27/2015 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I'm not very into this eyeliner. It's a twist-up and doesn't need to be sharpened, but that's about all I like about it. The color is called "Ebony Black" but it fades to a kind of dirty-looking dark blue on my eyes pretty quickly.

The product packaging claims it has a "precision tip" with a smudger to use if desired, but I don't find it to be "precision" at all, it's messy and smudges everywhere even if you don't want it to. It also is hard to remove, it leaves persistent dark smudges even after I use makeup remover on my eyes.

I don't plan on buying this again.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

In search of a good eyeliner to use on my waterline, I purchased this product (along with three or four others to try) at Target for around $4.00. I'm not sure if the all-black packaging is newer, but the one I have is black and green. It's a twist-up crayon liner, and it claims to bring a "defined" look with the "precision tip" for a "smooth, even application." It also features a small, built-in sponge on the opposite end for smudging purposes. Excited to try out my new eyeliners, I swatched this Define-A-Line eyeliner on my hand in the car, and I immediately liked how creamy the formula was. Just as the package claimed, the liner glided on really easily. But after getting home and putting it on my waterline, I realized its creaminess would likely be the product's downfall—and I was right.

Although the liner glides on really nicely, it has little-to-no lasting power. Less than fifteen minutes after finishing my makeup, the liner on my waterline had already faded, and no more than half an hour later, I looked like a raccoon—the product had "melted" underneath my eyes, and it wasn't flattering at all. I took it off and tried another liner, but out of curiosity, I tried applying it to my upper lid as well as tightlining my eyes. About ten minutes later, the liner on my eyelid had transferred and creased into my eyeshadow, and the tightline had transferred to my lower lash line and smeared, again in the raccoon-like fashion.

Overall, even though I originally liked the creamy formula at first, I really dislike this product. I'm not even going to finish it, because it looks terrible after ten minutes. I won't throw it (because I'm cheap), but it'll sit in my makeup bag unused. I wouldn't recommend this product, especially if your skin is at all oily.

on 3/31/2015 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This is definitely my go-to eyeliner every time. No sharpening required, has a smudging sponge at the end which is a necessity with eyeliners, especially when on the go applying makeup. Thumbs up

on 12/23/2014 9:39:00 PM

This eyeliner smeared and transfered onto my lower eyeline and made raccoon eyes almost immedietly, and it just kept on getting worse and not amount of dabbing and drying would stop it.

Would never buy again.

on 9/27/2014 2:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

To clarify, I'm reviewing the Define-A-Line in the green and black packaging, not the all-black packaging. I usually buy whichever of the twist-up eyeliners I find on sale whenever I run out and unfortuately I purchased a special combo pack of Maybelline Great Lash Mascara (always good) and this horrible version of Define-A-Line eyeliner. I have never used such a greasy, messy eyeliner. It is not unlike putting lipstick on your lids. I don't even know why there is a smudging pad at the bottom because as soon as you blink it will smudge for you. The smudger actually just wipes the liner off if you try to use it. In its favor, it is quite black. And the tube twists easily. And it was inexpensive. But that's about it. In summary, unless you are a football player or a cadaver, I suggest finding another product.

This is the worst smudging eyeliner I've ever used. Zero staying power. Primer helps but not as much as you'd expect. Will never ever buy again.

on 7/22/2014 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This reminds me of the CG Perfect Point eyeliners in terms of quality (which is good!!). This is extremely pigmented & easily applied. I get raccoon eyes from almost all (non-waterproof) pencils, this is no worse than any of the others (I have extremely oily skin/LIDS!!!). I prefer (waterproof) liquid & gels becoz of that, but at walmart I was buying waterproof Great Lash Mascara & it came with the mascara as an added bonus. I love how black it is, I think this is a pretty good liner if ur not going to see a sappy movie or get dumped by your S.O. (Inject a bit of humor here, basically if ur not planning on crying....or going swimming...). This is your basic nice black eyeliner. I am going to try it with a primer next time & see what happens. I love the sleek packaging, it's very "Maybelline" w their Great Lash signature green w a black top. It's got a smudge tip but mine appears not to have a sharpener on the end (BOO!! I like it when auto pencils come w sharpeners coz I am always losing them constantly so I need a good supply of new 1's!!). So your basic black automatic liner to sum it all up, Maybelline does not often thrill me to death but they also usually fail to disappoint me w their products. This would function as a good liner to throw in ur bag for touch ups on ur nicer regular liner that u leave at home coz u wouldn't want to lose it, that's what I am probably going to do w this if it doesn't end up being good, but I must mention I've had it on for 3 & a half hours & not much in the way of unintentional smearing, smudging, or migration. It's also not disappeared like some had mentioned nor transferred, so I am going to try playing around w this some more in the next few days & may update. Idk how much it retails for, probably approx US$6 but if this was waterproof it would be perfect!! Not HG but not going into the garbage neither. A person such as myself would think okay waterproof mascara should come with waterproof eyeliner if it's included together but awww h-&@$ what do I know??? ;/

on 5/26/2014 9:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this cuz one of my close friends always uses this ... It was on sale for 5 bucks at Kroger . I guess they changed the packaging cuz when I tried my friends hers was a lot skinner , this is skinny but also thick at the same time ... It's hard to explain but I really like it !! It goes on super black and it just glides on oh so effortlessly !!! Some people complain that it smudges .. I just put it on my waterline , and it wasn't that bad , maybe because they lined below their waterline.

on 4/20/2014 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used this pencil eyeliner for a couple of years actually and liked it well enough. I liked the amount of pigment, the ease of application, and the smoky eye effect of the included smudging tip. Often I skipped eyeshadow and just lined and smudged my upper lid with this eyeliner for a subtle look and went on with my day with an otherwise nude eye.

It didn't have great staying power. It was usually gone by the end of the day, just a shadow of it left on my upper - and lower, having transferred - lids.

The package is attractive, a vibrant green body with a black cap and a smudger included. However, the green plastic body is of poor quality and tends to crack after just a few un/cappings of the smudger, which means the smudger component tends to fall off and get lost in the bottom of my makeup pouch. Oh, well. It'll be no great loss when it runs out/I find a better option!

on 12/21/2013 12:31:00 AM

To start on the bright side... I do love how dark and soft this eyeliner is. It glides on so smoothly and is a true, deep black.

Unfortunately, this liner does not last on me at all. It smudges entirely too easily and transfers to the areas over and under my eye in less than an hour. Define-a-line would be perfect if it remained as it does upon application, but even with plenty of primer, this is unwearable.