November 27, 2014 | 1397 users online

Fragrances - Guerlain - Cologne du 68

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2013 8:20:00 AM More reviews by auxin2

Changes all the time, just amazing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2013 9:58:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

This cologne is awesome, one of my new favorites. It works in both cool and warm weather, it is very affordable, and it has very decent longevity, especially for a cologne.

This fragrance opens with a fresh blast of citrus and herbs, the opening is very nice, but it's the dry down I love. After about an hour the heart of this cologne starts shining, iris, vanilla, some amber and lingering herbal hints. It's warm and inviting yet still holds a twinkling freshness.

I gave myself 5 sprays before work the other day, 3 on my skin and 2 on my clothes and I was still getting nice little whiffs of it when I got home at 6pm. I paid 45$ for a 100ml on overstock.com which is a great deal for such a wonderful fragrance.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2012 2:11:00 PM More reviews by Dressingtable

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Could this be a fragrance for all people for all seasons? I think Cologne du 68 does a good job of covering the bases. It is very versatile and not easy to describe. Cologne du 68 has an oxymoronic ability to bring together contrasting notes - it's a cologne (ie cooling) but also warm. Depending on circumstances, it can refresh or make you feel cosy.
If the green and amber notes of Obsession stand-out to you; then have got some idea of how this smells. Cologne du 68 is, however, free of vanilla and sugar. It also has plenty of aftershavey herbs, should sharing with your partner appeal to you. Some may find it a bit safe but there is room for a safe perfume in most collections! To me the dry-down is very similar to Maitre Perfumeur et Gantierís Ambre Precieux. I wore Cologne du 68 in a tent in the rain for a week at the English seaside. Nobody felt very cheerful but all agreed that at least the tent smelt good (and I usually have to be careful about exposing the family to perfume spritzing in a confined space)!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2012 4:25:00 AM More reviews by SmellyFaerie

Cologne du 68 was probably my first Guerlain purchase and it took me a while to really enjoy it. This juice, supposedly made of 68 notes, was just too complex for a cologne, at least to my untrained newbie nose.

Iíve been buying perfumes since my early 20ís, but there wasnít a pattern in my collection until a few years ago. I just bought what smelled good in the store and usually ended up with a lot of bottles purchased by impulse. Most of them went away in yard sales, but I am really glad I kept this one.

It was only a couple of years later when I decided to get the bottle from the back of my cabinet and give it another try. By that time, I was more into perfumes, and into Guerlain scents. It may never be my favorite Guerlain, but it grew up on me, and it still keeps on growing.

Cologne du 68 starts out as any other traditional cologne: citrus. But this changes very fast. There are lots of spices and woods and they start playing upon the first minutes in the drydown. It is not a bright, sparkling cologne, I see it more like a dark, multi-faceted, muted scent. Despite the enormous list of notes (see below), there is not a single ingredient that stands out in the drydown.

About the usage, Iíd say it in a unisex scent, more suitable to early fall. It may be a little too heavy for summer and too airy for winter. But thatís just my opinion. It stays close to the skin, so there is almost zero risk of over-applying it. The lasting power is very good (8 to 10h on me).

I would be cheating if I said that I can identify all the 68 notes, but once I read the notes list and sniff my wrists again, most of the times I can detect the note, but again, they are very well blended. Here they go: bergamot, green mandarin, citron, clementine, cedrat, blood orange, limette, grapefruit, basil, fennel, star anise, lavender, bay leaf, cypress, elemi, thyme, myrtle, bigarade, mandarin petitgrain, lemon petitgrain, pear, violet leaves, ivy leaves, gentiana, sap, blackcurrant, freesia, lily of the valley, hazelnut leaf, cyclamen, cardamom, coriander, black pepper, pink pepper, nutmeg, ginger, jasmine, frangipani, magnolia, orange blossom, peony, rose, carnation, ylang ylang, lychee, fig, blackberry, immortelle, lentisque, opoponax, amber, benzoin, vanilla, cistus, heliotrope, iris, tonka bean, sage, musk, patchouli, agarwood, cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, vegetable musk, praline, myrrh and moss.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/27/2010 12:16:00 PM More reviews by shaktigal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is powdery, almost like perfumed talcum powder and has a very classic, vintage-like feel to it. It is a light but nevertheless noticeable scent, that I seem to remember from childhood. As others have stated, the scent appears chameleon-like, I find this especially in the way it smells very close to the skin, but still, the main thing I get, is this sweet, elegant powder smell, which is pretty enough, but reminds me of something my grandma did or might have worn. I can see this on a lovely kind old lady (would be a great present for your dear ol granny!) or maybe else on a little girl as a first perfume, since it has that innocence about it. I can see why some might say it smells a teensy-weensy bit 'manly', I get a hint of an 'Old Spice aftershave balm' note, but personally I am pretty sure that I would really dislike to smell this on a man, its way too sweet and 'ladylike' for that.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2010 11:23:00 AM More reviews by msm4slm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is well composed and has Guerlain quality. I'm personally not crazy about it. It is decidedly too masculine on me. Not delicate enough, and too "cologne-y" to be fresh and clean. Excellent lasting power for a cologne, though. Maybe it's chemistry: Two squirts and I smelled this all day and even a touch after a shower. I still prefer the classic Eau de Guerlain in this category,

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2010 9:39:00 PM More reviews by SeeMeBeauty

I bow down to the beautiful simplicity of this incredible fragrance. I smelled it at Neiman Marcus and wanted it immediately but waited. (I don't know why.) Sometimes the mood will pass and I come to my senses. I mean really, how much perfume can a girl have? Well until this is in your collection the answer should be, "At least one more." This is sublime, soft, intimate, a whisper, it makes me want to smell myself all the time. Also, the local grump where I often have my coffee actually smiled at me and told me I smelled really good when I was wearing this.

Oh, and the 68 is in reference to the address of the Guerlain boutique in Paris.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2009 7:05:00 AM More reviews by selkins

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Cologne du 68 is a chameleon, changing not just day to day on my skin, but changing from sniff to sniff. Sometimes it is more floral or herbal, more musk or almost citrussy. I love it in all its forms, and it is always closer to the skin and very office friendly, IMO.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2009 6:09:00 PM More reviews by ellizam

Holy disappearing fragrance Batwoman! Only it's even wierder than that because after about 20 minutes it reappears! The opening is light herbal on top of a light citric/floral accord. I'm strongly reminded of Adrienne Vittadini's Adrienne Vittadini. Not far into the opening the top citric and herbal notes begin to fade, and a citric powder is left. If I had to name the citric, I'd go with lemon (although there's a little orange in there). There's also, believe it or not, a teensy tinsy hint of pepsin -- you know, Pepto Bismal, Beechnut Pepsin gum. Kind of like Birch beer? But after about five minutes, the entire production is gone. Doesn't matter whether you spray or dabble, either; it's gone.

One commences with much gnashing of teeth and glaring at bottle. How can anything made by a company that good with so many reviews praising how well it lasts disappear like that? Has it been talking with my Ex?

Then, starting about 10-20 minutes later, every once in a while I get a little, exquisite sniff of this soft citric/vanillic powder. Just a little whiff, barely there. But I turn my head and... Whiff! Sometimes I can catch just a tiny bit of sillage above (not on) my skin.

I'm torn here. I love the scent that so lightly whiffles by me. But I want more! I'm tempted to keep this, tempted to swap the decant or RAOK it and get it out of my house so it stops teasing me, tempted to... I don't know what. But I don't think it should disappear like this.

I'm reminded of the other Great Disappearing Act -- Guerlain's Terra Cotta -- and wondering if there's an aromachemical common to both that sinks the fragrance into the skin. I'm not sure I like that.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2009 3:12:00 AM More reviews by drvogue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am surprised I like this as much as I do because I am not usually a fan of "unisex" fragrances. I agree with the other reviewers who have found this fresh and warm at the same time. If I had to put it in a box, I would call it spicy citrus but more spice than citrus. It's only the slightest bit powdery so if you can't do Guerlain because of the powder factor, you may want to give this a try. My only complaint is the lasting power, which is weak (higher than a L'Artisan but lower than most Guerlains I own).