October 25, 2014 | 1243 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Expert Wear Eye Shadow

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2014 10:52:00 AM More reviews by athenasius

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

The Expert Wear singles are a mixed bag. Some like Earthly Taupe are HG category while others like Champagne Fizz are a real fizzle. Colour payoff is either great or non existent.

I have those 2 plus Linen, Tastefully Taupe & Silken Taupe in the singles.

Earthly Taupe: HG status! This is a terrific dupe for MAC Kid, now discontinued. It is a matte, with life to it, almost a satin but no shine or shimmer. Friendly to my aging lids. No irritants, goes on smooth, blends well and covers up redness, darkness & other discolourations. It is a soft camel beige with a peachy undertone. It looks quite pink in the pan but doesn't pull red on my eyelids and a lot of shadows do. Impressive!

Linen: Good base coat, blends well, no fallout but it goes on patchy and leaves a bluish white cast behind. Matte. Has a pink look in the pan but not on the lids. The creamy base coat in the trio Chocolate Mousse does a far better job. There is none of the cream colour payoff from the Linen shade so I won't rebuy, I will rely on Chocolate Mousse for that, instead. Edited to add, neither works as well as NYX matte in Leather and Lace.

Silken Taupe: Wow what a gorgeous satin. Comes out as a cool bronze neutral with a satiny sheen that doesn't make aging lids look like a metallic lizard skin. It adds light & life to lids. Works well with other shadows, blends easily, no fallout but quite sheer. I like that as I'm quite pale and shadows with too much payoff look dark & dirty or they make me look tired & old.

Tastefully Taupe: Similar but much darker. I can only use this as a liner or contour but its a gorgeous grey brown with a cool bronze sheen. Much more colour payoff. Another great shade for anyone wanting a perfect polished neutral look.

Champagne Fizz is so bad I'm taking it back to the store. It is a lovely champagne in the pan, doesn't look like the shimmer bomb that it really is. This'll light up your eye socket alright, so you look like a light up toy. It doesn't have any colour left and the shine is so dazzling you can't use it as a highlight. It enhances every wrinkle it touches and creates new ones. I suspect it could make a teenager look wrinkly! Epic fail. Oh and the fallout on that is awful, plus it clings to skin. Took me 2 full face washes to rid me of the telltale glow.

These singles are worth trying. Some will payoff as HG products. Others are fit only for the trash bin but either way you aren't out a lot of cash. If you find a cheap HG like Earthly Taupe, it makes the investment all pay off.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2014 2:19:00 PM More reviews by lulu56

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

What happened Maybelline? I had quite a few of your single shadows, Made for Mocha, (great for brows) Cinnamon Spice and Linen in the old packaging. I was looking to replace Amethyst and had to settle for Tuscan Lavender. It looked matte in the pan. When I went to put it on, with primer, I noticed red glitter and the color was sheer. The pigment is just not there and the shadow is gritty and chalky. This is going back. Bring back Amethyst!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2012 2:21:00 PM More reviews by Walko

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this in chocolate chic and it's not a good eyeshadow. Creases and dosen't blend well.I've found a fantastic use for it though. I'm a brunette and i use it to hide the grey hair at my roots.I just apply it with a powder puff.Works a treat, I've even had people ask me what colour I've got on my hair. Better than any hair crayon.So I will repurchase for my roots. Honestly brunettes , try it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2011 4:02:00 AM More reviews by RachelD9311

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My favorite drug-store eyeshadow. Super cheap and great quality. Comes in tons of colors and (most) are highly pigmented. My favorites are: nutmeg, night sky, golden halo, made for mocha, and amethyst.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/29/2010 1:11:00 PM More reviews by lalu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this in smokey black and what a waste of money it was. The eyeshadow is not pigmented enough and diffucult to blend. I will never buy again.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/1/2010 12:12:00 PM More reviews by iluvMUA

I bought these when they were still in the old packaging. I don't like the way they look, very hard to blend and very little color shows up.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/6/2010 1:42:00 PM More reviews by BeautyAddict12

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I only have a few of this eye shadow, cinnanon spice, urban brown and vanilla. The color lasts longer than other drug store eye shadows and I like the feel of it, it's easy to apply. It's a good eye shadow and I would repurchase(definately in different colors though) but theres nothing that really impresses too much about it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2009 7:09:00 PM More reviews by candyisverygood

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have one of their single eyeshadows in "Urban Brown". It is a bronzy, goldish brown that for some reason, looks fantastic on my skin tone! Most colors like this make me look crazy, but this one is different! When applied lightly, the color is a sheer goldish shimmer, and when packed on, it's gorgeous! This stuff is highly pigmented, compared to the rest of the Maybelline shadows, which are all pretty sheer and not good! This could be worn every day, and it wouldn't get old. The lasting power is actually impressive for an eyeshadow with this price! It was a great surprise. The packaging looks neat, but it is not the best for storage, what with the curved edges and top. I would re-purchase this in a heart beat!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2009 2:41:00 PM More reviews by mbellej

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought a 8 shadow pan called metallique from a counter display at my local drugstore and love the colours. They are a collection of coppers,golds and browns that are totally wearable for anyone. They actually lasted through the day and were very blendable. I believe this is a limited edition so if you see it buy it.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2008 10:30:00 AM More reviews by missspiggie

I have this in Night Sky, it's just black with glitter lol. And I like it. One of my first eye shadows. I think I've moved on in what I want from make up, but if you just want a black eye shadow, this is great.