April 21, 2014 | 865 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Mally Beauty - Perfect Prep Poreless Primer

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2014 6:06:00 PM More reviews by rp1017

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I normally use Hourglass as my choice for a primer, however, lately I switched to a different product to cover discolorations and noted that it was looking cakey which is an issue I have never had with Hourglass before ...... I always watch Mally when I see her on QVC because I get a kick out of her and remembered that she had a primer which is sold at my local ULTA so I purchased it ...... I had no issues using the Perfect Prep Poreless Primer when using a different foundation as I had with Hourglass ..... Mally's primer is thicker and thicker foundations and even concealers adhere better than Hourglass (atleast in my case.) I did have a small issue with my thicker foundation at times looking a little cakey ..... I use a small amount of primer and it helps along with my foundation to cover discolorations and more importantly lasts until I wash my face at night. I still use Hourglass, however, when I need more coverage Mally's primer works great but the cakiness does bother me so the search for the best primer for me goes on.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2013 4:46:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this after seeing Mally hawking this on QVC awhile back. It was during a time when I was going through a primer obsession phase and Mally's bubbly presentation proved to be convincing. I can't recall what online retailer I bought it from but I know I paid over $30 for it which is on the pricey side.

Mally's primer is pretty standard and comparable to L'Oreal's Secrets Face Primer (which I also have). They're both pink, fluffy creams that feel, smell and perform nearly identically. To be honest, I don't really need a primer which is why the ones I bought during my primer obsession phase sit in a drawer. I honestly don't notice a huge difference between wearing one and not wearing one so I skip it now. When I did use this, I really didn't like the feel of it. My skin runs on the drier side and this seems to zap any additional oil on my face leaving it a bit too matte-y. I also didn't care for the feel of it. It wouldn't say it feels totally mask-like like Smashbox primers do but you're definitely aware of the extra layer on your face. I don't recall if this made me break out. I'm sure if you leave it on and head straight to bed there would be an issue, otherwise it seems to work well even on acne prone skin.

I think this primer would be great for someone with oily skin who has to blot several times a day. If you have dry skin and don't know the meaning of blotting, it seems like a bit of a waste and an unneeded extra step. The price is also off putting because it doesn't really do anything better than L'Oreal Secret Face Primer.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2013 2:32:00 AM More reviews by scopingforyou

*****THIS NOW COMES IN A TUBE, AS WELL, ON MALLY BEAUTY'S SITE******

PROS: Fills in pores well. Creates a blurred effect and makes my light wrinkles look MUCH better. Silky smooth (but not oily) texture that becomes matte within a couple of minutes. For the large amount you get and how long it lasts, the price is fair to me. I know it helps my HG foundation (Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer) last WAY longer. The slightly pink tone does not seem to show up, once applied (I'm NC10-15.) The dry part of my combo skin is very dry, but this doesn't mattify me too much, but I do need to make sure my exfoliating/moisturizing is up to par. Found this at one of my Ulta's.

CONS: This almost makes me too matte (dry skin/wrinkles are an issue for me.) I consistently get bad breakouts from this. I hardly every break out from foundations or primers, but I did every time with this one. (See my alternates for the L'oreal primer that doesn't break me out.) Some won't like that it comes in a jar that can be contaminated with fingers. Some hate that so much that they actually take "lippies" off of the rating for that reason. There is a spot for us to rate the packaging, though, so I don't lower my overall rating for packaging.

APPLICATION TIPS: I use a patting motion with this, especially into my pores. I like to apply my foundation quite shortly after I put this on and not wait too long. It helps the foundation look even better. It helps with application being smoother, and it also looks better afterward. I like to pat this into the biggest pores and then smooth the extra around to smooth everything out.

REMOVAL TIPS: If you are prone to clogging, you may want to remove this with a cleansing oil before using your regular cleanser. That may be enough to keep you from clogging from this. (It wasn't for me, unfortunately.)

ALTERNATES: L'oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base, but it doesn't make my makeup last quite as long, but I do like that I don't get quite as matte from the L'oreal version (I get almost too matte with this.) I also don't break out from the L'oreal Magic Perfecting primer. Mally Beauty's site now has this in a tube. She also has an illuminating version.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2013 7:12:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

This is a good primer, very smooth to apply but the packaging is so bulky and impractical (glass jar anyone?) that it's useless for my needs. Bought for me as a gift by a friend who knows I have some Mally items in my beauty stash but I wouldn't have bothered and I certainly won't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2013 11:43:00 PM More reviews by Tiffanygayle19

the first day I got this product I wore it to work for about 12 hours and even after my full shift people still told me my skin looked amazing. People also told me I looked like a Barbie doll and my skin has never looked that good. I seriously have the oily skin, I have literally tried everyI have literally tried everything in ulta and nothing keeps me matte and oil free with a beautiful glow, this product does!!!! it is simply amazing. I bought this for my wedding makeup and i will reorder it forever!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 4:00:00 AM More reviews by timothybcat

It seems like everywhere I shop, the bonus gift is a face primer. Or it's in my Birchbox, or I get yet another primer from Ipsy. A month or so ago, I really wished they would all just STOP. Although I used Smashbox primer for awhile (the green one), I got tired of doing the extra step that didn't seem to have much payoff. I've tried the Porefessional. There were some others not even worth mentioning by name. It didn't seem like my makeup lasted any longer, and I didn't see any difference in how it applied. Big waste of money, I thought. What was the point?

This turned out to be the exception to the rule. It does what it promises by smoothing out the texture of my skin, which has lots of little bumps and huge pores. And considering the fact that my face eats makeup like nobody's business, I was literally shocked by how good my makeup looked after I got home from work. After eight hours of walking, bending, lifting, and training dogs, my redness didn't peek through my foundation the way it normally would, and still looked even-toned and smooth. It was a wow moment.

The retail price for the primer alone is $35.00 for one ounce. I bought a HUGE 14-piece set of Mally makeup from QVC because there were many products I wanted to try, and this primer was included. I'm not entirely sure I'd pay $35.00 for it by itself. Seems like you can buy it with several other products that add up to paying much less for each one. You can also get a set of two that's under $50 right now. Buy based on performance alone, it's HG status and I would definitely buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2013 10:53:00 PM More reviews by fatttoad909

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used 2 tubs of this primer. Stated using it v in my 20's and I guess my skin has gotten oily because I've noticed that now my t-zone gets really oily, use sparingly.
I have c to powder my face about 3 hours after using this primer.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2012 11:36:00 PM More reviews by jeane519

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've used many primers (Smashbox, Laura Geller, Avon Majix) and this is by far the best at keeping my matte and my make-up fresh for 10 hours. I bought the jumbo size off of QVC, and am glad I signed up for autoship. I highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2012 2:12:00 PM More reviews by offbeatgrrl

This does wonders on my combination/acne skin. Has not broken me out. Been using this for two months now. My makeup lasts all day and stays matte without looking dead. Pores appear smaller and blurred. Packaging sucks but I heard she's coming up with a tube version I just hope the formula does not change because this primer is perfect as is. I love the feeling it's not to thick or siliconish *it does have silicone in it* but doesn't feel that way. Does not bead up.It absorbs nicely into the skin. I actually put a bit more than I usually do with any other primers i've used a "pea and a half" is the best. Will repurchase maybe in the glow I do love a inner glow look.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2012 6:02:00 AM More reviews by Makeup30

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product just does not do anything for my combination/acne prone skin except cause me to break out. It did nothing to hide my pores and just made my makeup (Mac foundation) look cakey after an hour or so. I would not buy this again and think it's way over priced.