September 17, 2014 | 986 users online

Top/Base Coats - Maybelline - Express Finish Base & Top Coat #10

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2011 10:19:00 PM More reviews by adizzo

I actually really like this base/top coat and the fact that I've bought it again and again says a lot about it. I like that it dries super fast and the shine lasts long. Only gripe about it is that it's hard to get to the bottom of the bottle, because I try to use it all up! I do my nails a lot and I like that I can have a super dry manicure in a quicker amount of time once I put this on top! For about $3.50 that's not bad!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2010 12:57:00 PM More reviews by duncan123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I say I would buy this product again....maybe or maybe not is my more accurate answer. I do my nails in usually two stages....very much a creature of habit because I am not a young girl, my son is grown (21), and I have the time that a lot of other people don't have with young children or an active social life. Hubby and I do a lot of stuff and vacation a lot, but we're at the time of life I think of as "happy and settled", LOL. Anyway, I do my finger nails and toe nails weekly. Saturday night I usually take all polish off and I apply this basecoat (if we're not out doing other things). I like it because it dries quickly, period. The next morning, I apply polish while reading the paper. Now, you young girls out there are thinking, 'oh my god, she is so boring and how sad her life is, LOL'. Nah, just a creature of habit. You'll all be me someday, lol. This basecoat does the job and I have no complaints....my nails always look damn good! ;)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/14/2010 8:41:00 AM More reviews by robin218

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought a passel of base and topcoats because I've been looking for products that dry hard and fast, yet offer the protection and coverage I'm looking for. Maybelline's Express Finish Base & Topcoat is just... meh. I used it as a basecoat, and while it seemed to dry relatively fast (probably 1 - 1 1/2 minutes), it still had a soft texture that lent itself to dents, even though the coverage was relatively thin. A second coat for good measure increased the goo factor and dent-ability, even after waiting a few minutes between coats. To me, this negates the label of being an "express finish" i.e. fast-drying product. It also created some issues about applying polish over it as a basecoat, since I wasn't convinced the base was dry enough, and applying polish on top would create a never-dry scenario.

I would use it if I had nothing else, but even for the low price, it doesn't deliver what I'm looking for. It would probably be fine to wear alone on natural nails, but I'm not overly wowed by it. Certainly not awful, but not great. Just meh.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/19/2010 11:30:00 PM More reviews by skwerlie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

When I bought this I was just getting back into doing my nails and thought it would be a handy money-saver since it's a 2 in 1 product. I had trouble with it for the longest time but I thought I was just applying my layers without enough time to dry in between or being too impatient after I finished my nails, because I would almost always end up completely destroying at least one nail outside of the 50 second drying time advertised on the bottle. But when I saw the reviews here (under the line's entry) I realized it wasn't me and I changed my topcoat- so much better!

This stuff takes forever to really dry and turns your poilish into a malleable and easily-wrecked pile of gloop. It looks dry and can even take a light touch, but anything more than that will create huge smudges and smears, even several minutes after applying. I also had some bubbles show up,which could very well be me but... I haven't had any bubbles with the new topcoat so who knows. It's been a while since I've used it so I can't quite remember how well it holds up to chipping, but when you have to redo at least one nail everytime because it smudged 15 minutes after you painted them, it kind of defines the product in your memory.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2009 8:34:00 PM More reviews by Swissalo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used this product with several different colours and brands primarily Pure Ice, OPI, and China Glaze. I have yet to try it with others in the Maybelline Express colours with might make all the difference.

The day after I apply my polish with this product as base and top I have chipping and sometimes even peeling.

It does dry fast and I give it props for that, it's one of the reasons why I brought it in the first place.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2009 10:15:00 AM More reviews by shier

I really love this top coat. My polish is longlasting when i'm using this. It stays more than 5 days, with no chips!
Li-La-Love it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2008 12:03:00 PM More reviews by JGardella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This a the clear base and top coat, not the Advanced Wear Formula. I use it but under and over my polish. It really does dry quickly, and it hardens fast, too. It protects my polish from chipping and peeling. I love it!