September 2, 2014 | 2182 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Cargo - Blu-Ray High Definition Mattifier

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2012 2:57:00 AM More reviews by Les281

I got this primer b/c it is water based & it since I am acne prone I do not want to aggravate my skin. I love how my foundation applies on after this primer. My foundation looks more natural. It doesnt fill in my pores but I can live w/that.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2011 8:24:00 PM More reviews by bbybreanna

thank goodness i got a free sample of this and didnt waste any money on it. the sephora worker gave it to me because it would help control oil and minimize pores and keep makeup lasting longer. NOPE! not at all. i saw no difference.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2011 3:02:00 AM More reviews by builtlikebettie

I have always had oily skin, and have been on and endless quest for most of my life to find ANYTHING that controls oil to any noticeable degree. So far, nothing to rave about.

I tried the cargo mattifier only because you get more in the tube for the same price as the Urban Decay one.

I did like the silky texture it had and it did seem to help minimize pores, plus it didn't break me out, which is amazing. It's lightweight and easy to wear.

First, I tried it on bare skin, no makeup at all. Upon application, it did give a matte finish, and did hold off oil for a few hours, but by the end of the day I was a greaseball, as usual.

Same for application both under and over makeup...neither seems to work better than the other...but it does help control oil for a short time. A few hours for me.
I found re applying a little later in the day did help to absorb some of the surface oil and kind of "refresh" things, bit I'd rather not have to waste more product on doing that.

Overall, It wasn't a bad product, but nothing special. I ended up exchanging it to try out the Urban Decay DeSlick in a tube. We'll see if I end up coming back to Cargo or not.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2011 12:28:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a revised review from 2008. Edited for more clarity and added insight into the product and my experience using it. Most is from the original review, with some things re-written just to be clearer, and what is added is what I remember from my experience with the product.

- Skip down to 'My Results' and 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

What it Claims:
"This silky formula provides a smooth, matte finish. Pores are refined and the appearance of fine lines are diminished. Use under or on top of make-up for a mattifying effect."

Claims - True or False?
1) Smooth, matte finish: True.
2) Refined pores and diminished lines: False.

Packaging:
While I did not use the full sized product, I had handled the packaging in the store. The squeeze tube design is very hygienic, and means that most, if not all, of the primer can be used. It's easy to handle, and comes in a sleek design. Could easily be transported without having to worry too much about leaks and spills, but because it is a squeeze-tube it is best to zip-loc it.

Consistency:
The consistency of this primer is slightly irregular. While is clearly comes in a "liquid" form, it is almost powdery in nature. Even so, it provided my skin with an unbelievably soft feel. Because of the consistency though, there is a possibility of piling when too much is used. Despite being brown in colour, it applied colourless to my light skin.

Ease of Use:
Application of this primer is quite easy and simple. Because it seems to dry to a powdery finish quite fast, it can be a little tricky blending it out over every part of the face, but it easily is dispensed and adhered to the skin.

Bang for your Buck:
While most primers seem to be outrageously priced, they tend to last quite a long time. Being under 30 dollars, it is likely to last at least 4 months. With primers, the less the better, so it can easily last much longer.

My Results:
While it had promise and made my skin look quite nice, it burned. Itched. Made me very pink. Overall, I simply reacted poorly to it, likely the bismuth oxychloride which tends to bother my skin. Left my skin looking a bit more even and smooth though, and seemed to help a bit with oiliness. Not sure if it really aided in makeup application, as I've never noticed makeup looking better using a facial primer. Might have broken me out as well, but I doubt I could confirm this.

Final Consensus:
A relatively affordable primer that works well to give the skin a smooth and polished look. I'd recommend it to others, but would advise those with sensitive skin or known reactions to bismuth oxychloride to steer clear.
- Pros: universal colour, leaves skin smooth, silky, easy to use, helped with oiliness, nice packaging.
- Cons: poor reaction to the ingredients, could pill, difficult to apply if used all over all at once.

Overall Rating: 2/5
Price: 4/5
Packaging Quality: 4/5
Would you buy this product again? No.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2010 6:26:00 PM More reviews by MoMo25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This was expensive so I was expecting this to keep my oily skin at bay for at least 2-4 hrs. Well, I was oily with in 30 minutes! I tried this with various foundations, techniques, etc but the result was the same. I wish I could return it but it was too late. This is just an ordinary primer.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2010 2:58:00 AM More reviews by iamamanda

I am 26y/o and have a very oily t zone, noticeable pores on my nose, and mild acne on my chin.

I went to Ulta in search of a primer that would help control my oil and and employee recommended the Cargo Blu Ray High Def Mattifier, Smashbox, and another primer that I can't even recall the name of because it was too heavy and thick. I've also found Victoria Secret primer to be too heavy and slightly sticky.The only other primer I've found that even comes close is Avon's "Magix", however it does not control oil nearly as well as the Cargo product.

I tried all 3, and I immediately loved the silky light feel of the Cargo brand. I decided to purchase it and give it a try.

The first thing I noticed when applying it to my fresh face was that the pores on my nose appeared much smaller, and my over all skin tone seemed more even. The ultra faint tinting seemed to balance my complexion and slightly reduce the redness of any blemishes.

I use the mattifier under Pur Minerals mineral foundation and it definitely keeps my skin looking fresh longer, and helps keep oil at bay. It is by far the best product I've found in 10 years.

I also used this when I was the maid of honor in my sisters wedding in Florida. It helped to keep my skin looking even, balanced, fresh, and oil free throughout the ceremony and in all of the pictures! My sister, the bride, also used it and her skin looks flawless in ALL of her wedding photos, even through to the end of the 6 hour event, even while dancing outside in the humid Florida air at her beachside reception!

The only thing I don't like about this product is the packaging. The tube is stiff and does not allow you to squeeze out all of the product. I end up cutting open the tube and I get about 6-8 more applications from what is left on the sides and in the cap area. It would be better suited in a small jar that you could dab a makeup sponge or clean fingers into.

For those who have posted negative remarks saying that the color fades - this product is not made for COVERAGE, just oil absorption and priming for your foundation! If you are looking for a tinted moisturizer look elsewhere, this is not it!

All in all I LOVE Cargo Blu Ray Mattifier, and will continue to use and recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2010 4:44:00 AM More reviews by parisenne

Having used clinique, givenchy, bodyshop, benefit primers...this one has been my absolute favourite. Too bad I can't find it anywhere in australia!! I have combination skin which gets pretty oily in summer, & this was magnificent in controlling my oil. It lasted throughout most of the day as well. I didn't find that it made my makeup application that much smoother, but for the oil controlling properties, it was amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2010 2:15:00 AM More reviews by trishmaggieful

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Used Smashbox Primer before (the green one) and this one is so-ooo much better. It wasn't heavy like smashbox and I liked the big tube. Very good product! I got a sample of Urban Decay's mattifier from sephora I will try, too...Ill let ya know:)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/24/2010 10:20:00 PM More reviews by xOVERxRATEDx37

Well i got a free sample of this about a year and a half ago and i loved it. I had also tried the smashbox primer but this one was cheaper so i bought this one. Well i loved it for about the first three months of using it but then all of a sudden i noticed that my face started to break out REALLY bad. I am 17 and lucky because i have never had acne other that a pimple here and there but this is like mild acne. I have narrowed it down to this product...It does what it says but it did also created some damage.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2010 12:05:00 AM More reviews by Kristina101

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this from Sephora last year and was pleased with it for about a month or so. Unfortunately, I started to get even oilier throughout the day. My diet and water intake hadn't changed and I wasn't necessarily breaking out, but my skin didn't seem as healthy as it was prior to using it.

I personally wouldn't buy this again only because I don't think it works well with my skin but I'm sure it may work flawlessly for others.