Clinique 3 Step System

2.8

on 5/20/2015 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

So I guess its time for me to review Clinique's 3 Step system - I have been using it, leaving it behind, and returning to it for something like 25 years now! I am lured away by the sexier, more exciting, more expensive, more natural, and yet I have always come back to this. Currently I am having my daughter try it since we haven't found anything natural that has worked for her acne.
I think the trick with the three steps is you CANNOT let the online skin consultation, or the SA at the Clinique counter, sell you their usual, cookie-cutter 3 Step System. I have been told I can't even count how many times, that my super dry skin needs the Liquid Cleanser, the #2 Clarifying Lotion/Toner, and the dear old yellow DDML. I didn't even realize there were other options! Finally when my skin was at its driest, a brilliant SA sold me the EXTRA MILD cleanser - whole new world! Now I use the extra mild lotion cleanser, the MILD clarifying lotion, and DDML in the warmer months, with the Moisture Surge Intense as my moisturizer in the winter.

You really have to know your skin, and not let an SA talk you into anything else. I often order online rather than face an SA trying to talk me out of something that I know will work. If you're oily, use the dramatically different gel, if you're super dry, you might need a heavier moisturizer. I strongly recommend that everyone use the mild clarifying lotion/toner and stay far away from the others. The mild one is a milky, almost gel-like pale green one, never found in their kits and only available in the smallest size. It is the only one without alcohol. The extra-mild cleanser is a milky, non-foaming lotion cleanser. It will clean your skin and get rid of all your makeup if you use it with a cloth. What I do is wet a washcloth with fairly hot water, rub 1-2 pumps of the lotion cleanser all over my DRY face, lay the cloth over my face for a minute to kind of stream off and loosen dirt and makeup, and then gently wipe. Works well for me with this and any other lotion or oil cleansers.For my daughter we are trying the Acne Solutions foaming cleanser, with the mild clarifying lotion, and the dramatically different gel. She tried the whole Acne Solutions line in the past and using them all together dried and irritated her skin, so we are mixing and matching again.

I honestly think that if you find the correct 3 Steps, this can be a good basic skin care system. I'm not crazy about everything Clinique, but overall, they are a solid, affordable (for department store brands) choice that offers many good products.

on 4/21/2015 1:52:00 PM

I think that this set is quite honestly useless and although I am acne prone and oily, it made my skin dry out without doing anything to help my acne! It makes me sad to think I spent around $180 (NZ prices generally cost about double USD) on this full set and all it did was sting my skin and make it dry!

on 4/18/2015 3:17:00 PM

Please don't buy!!!! Used just the sample set and broke out in hives/acne which has left scarring and is still continuing... after a year! Ugh, worst thing I've EVER used!

on 4/15/2015 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used the Clinique 3 step system for combination/oily (3) skin religiously everyday for 1-2 months, morning and evening, and there was no other products added. There was minimal use of electronic devices assisting the skincare regimen, such as the Clarisonic Mia brush etc. My skin concerns are some blemishes, acne scars and oily T-zone.

Content:
Liquid Facial Soap, 50 ml
Clarifying Lotion, 100 ml
Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, 30 ml

Duration of product:
The amount of product given was more than enough for my skin to be able to show some result. Although, I stop before everything ran out because of other reasons so for the duration I give it a 5/5.

Price:
Bought the kit for 285 SEK, which is about 30 USD. I thought it was pretty cheap for the amount of product, so it gets 4/5 for the price.

Packaging:
I quite liked the packaging, it was easy to get the product out and looked cute. Not much to complain about so a 4/5!

Effectiveness of product:
I don't want to bash on products since things like this are individual, but this was probably the worst products I've ever used. The cleanser was really drying on my face and the toner was irritating on my skin (felt like it contained 100 % alcohol), making my skin red. The moisturizer, which I found out later on that it was supposed to be like a "pre-moisturizer" (to be used before moisturizer), didn't moisturize my face at all. I got pretty dry and it didn't keep my oily T-zone at bay. But since I might've worked better with a "real" moisturizer after using it, I rate an extra point rounding up to 2/5.

Overall rating:
Since the product didn't work for me at all, kind of made my skin even worse, I give a 2/5!

on 4/6/2015 9:04:00 AM

I started to use this kit type 2 about 2,5 weeks ago. I just had some dry patches around my nose and a few blackheads in my t-zone and hormonal pimples on my forehead.
Since I started to use these products every morning and evening I got massive breakouts. my skin became so dry and it gave me some really irritated pimples underneath the skin (forehead, cheeks, nose). Even though I never got pimples on my cheeks and nose.
I know they say keep going on and I did.. but seeing these results after 3 weeks I deff quit using it. My skin became so irritated and looks like a vulcano. Very dissapointed in this 3 steps system :(

on 3/3/2015 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I honestly wouldn't recommended this to anyone . I originally received the 3 step sample pack when I went to get their powder foundation. At first i used their sample pack for about a week and a half and all seemed alright , it made my skin soft and my skin did look brighter. Anyway, so I went back and bought the 3 step in full size! BIGGEST WASTE OF MY MONEY! I don't even know where to start!! It started to break my out on my forehead and my cheeks, and I thought maybe it's just bringing all the dirty gunk in my pores to the surface then it would clear away? but then I started noticing I was was getting blackheads (on top red pimples), the blackheads were all over my nose, my chin and around my mouth, it was so horrible and disgusting to look in the mirror, my pores were even more visible than before and they seemed very clogged . So I went back and asked her about it (nicely) but I am so disgusted with the way she delt with me , she made it seem like I was using the products wrong then she started saying maybe it's my skin changing . "WELL DUH it's changing due to your product! But it's not a good change". It's such a shame because I do know people that swears by Clinique but it just didn't work for me.

on 3/2/2015 7:41:00 PM

I used this product for about 3 months and at first it was great, made my skin soft and cleared most of my blemishes. After about 2 months though, I started to notice it stopped working. I don't know if my skin just got used to it or what. I liked the first results but at the end I felt like it had been a little waste of my money

on 2/27/2015 12:57:00 PM

I don't know what I most hate about this product? The price or the bad skin it gave me-.- I purchased the type 2 of the 3 step system for dry to combination skin and it made my skin even dryer...and i had very healthy, more lf less pure skin before and thaught with these products i would get a perfect skin but I got pimples all over my face. I really wouldn't recommend that to anybody!!!

on 2/23/2015 3:07:00 PM

So, i will admit that i have not been using this product for that long and this review may be a bit premature, however, i plan to update as i progress on my journey. So, the first thing i can say is that i have always been a fan of Clinique, but because i dont often have the money to splurge on it i can rarely get one of their products. I did run into some money last week however and spent it all on the three step system. This is what i can say so far.
Cleanser: I really look forward to using this product twice a day. i use the mild soap for skin type 2 and it feels really nice. after i wash my face with it my skin is noticably refreshed. the only thing is that on some occasions it lathers better and i think it has to do with the tempature of the water which i have yet to figure out. other than that i like it. it isnt a fancy face wash designed for anything other than getting the dirt off of your face so dont expect anything amazing within the first few days, its a process.
Toner: I like this stuff because of the tingly feeling, however i did realize it is because of the menthol wich outs me off a little. however i do still enjoy this step very much and it feels super clean afterwards. it does dry me out a little bit, but i can handle that.
Lotion/gel: so i got the gel for type 3/4 a long time ago because it was summer and i was super oily, but now im dry. i still ue it however and i do like it, my only problem is that it isnt thick enough for my dry patches around my noes and upper lip. that is easily fixed however with this sample of another lotion i got that i just put ontop of it. I like the texture of this lotion however and it feels really good afterwards.
overall my skin is slowly improving and my friends are commenting that it looks more even. i still have some pimples coming up but i assume its because its purging the bad stuff... i hope haha. i like this skin system and use it as directed. i hope it works because i spent a lot of money on it and it would suck if it didnt.

on 2/20/2015 1:53:00 AM

I purchased the "3 Step System" hoping to achieve balanced skin and keep breakouts at bay. The system comes with a cleanser (I chose the pump version instead of the bar because I think it is way more sanitary), toner and moisturizer.

Within a week my skin felt unbalanced, dry and irritated - the exact opposite from what I wanted. From here I dug a little deeper into researching the ingredients of the products and these are the problems I found:

Cleanser:

-I actually didn't mind the cleaner but still had that tight feeling to my face after I used it, which was not relieved by the toner or moisturizer

Moisturizer:
-Contains mineral oil, which clogs pores
-Contains colourants, which could potentially irritate the skin

Toner:
-Contains a drying mix of alcohol and salicylic acid
-When the lid is opened all you can smell is rubbing alcohol

Conclusion: This didn't work for me because I have sensitive and acne prone skin. The worst thing one can do is dry out the skin, which causes all sorts of problems including wrinkles and the over production of oil resulting in more breakouts. For those of you considering purchasing this product with acne prone skin I advise you to reconsider - Instead of drying out breakouts it is actually better to apply moisture, which allows the skin to heal and creates a happy, balanced environment. After this I switched to a more natural range of products and my skin healed up in no time!

Popular Face Skincare Products