December 22, 2014 | 1293 users online

Sunscreen - Banana Boat - Sensitive Powder-Dri spf 30+

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2014 5:03:00 AM More reviews by StephanieMarie1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

THIS PRODUCT IS A LIFESAVER! I recently went on a vacation and bought this sunscreen as it was advertised as a matte sunscreen and I have very oily skin, so usually going on holiday it is a nightmare to find a non-greasy sunscreen. I purchased this from boots at around 11 which is a tad pricey as it is quite a small bottle. On my vacation I used this everyday, I mixed a tiny bit of my foundation with this and applied it all over my face. My face did not burn at all, and stayed perfectly matte in the sweltering heat all day! The only downside is I did use the whole bottle in a whole week, apart from that this product is amazing and I will continue to re purchase it!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2014 6:00:00 PM More reviews by Persi4639

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Great product it is the only sunscreen I have used that actually drys dry. Everything else is slick and sand sticks to it. I wouldn't recommend using it on your face just because it wasn't made for the face. It works great and even in the hot sweaty summer weather it feels dry.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2009 9:18:00 PM More reviews by kimorris

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I find that sunscreens which are actually matte (e.g. Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch, Nivea Light Feel) have some sort of ingredient in them to make them matte which always causes the same following reactions in me no matter what: balling on my face, stinging esp if close to the eyes, and facial breakouts. This sunscreen was no exception. So nicely matte without that yucky sunscreen look and feel but I won't be repurchasing due to the problems just mentioned. This would be good as a sunscreen for the body though, especially to take to the beach so there's none of that sand-sticking-to-sunscreen issue.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/30/2008 6:55:00 AM More reviews by Jfan

This product looked so promising at first -
a) contains powder and controls my oily skin
b) fragrance-free and thus hurray for sensitive skin
c)a loyal banana boat user for years

BUT I WAS SO DISSAPPOINTED!
Reasons:
a) it burnt like hell, and increased with each daily application
b) it gave me pimples when i have been free of them for a while
c) once the product dries, if you rub your face, it comes off in this stringy-dusty form - just like pencil eraser residue!

Definitely not buying it again!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2008 11:59:00 PM More reviews by Shamisen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using this on my face daily for a week so far. CIBA puts the PPD at about 5.7 IIRC.

Pros:
Dries to a really nice powder finish which is great under makeup.
Keeps me pretty matte on my nose which tends to grease up.

Cons:
Slight tingly feeling on application similar to a mentholated product, but which fades very quickly.
It stings like crazy if you get it in your eyes, I was out of action for 5 full minutes when this happened.

I am getting some new breakouts but I think that they are caused by the sunscreen I was using prior to this one (Hamilton daily faces matte 30+) and I am hoping that they will stop soon. I will update in a week or two when I have a better idea how this particular one is going. I don't have any new breakouts or clogs on my chest where I am also using this which is a good sign because the Hamilton broke me out there too.

UPDATE:
I am still clear of new breakouts from this product. 06nov. I still like it a lot and find it is keeping me very nice and pale.

UPDATE AGAIN:
My big fat zits have cleared up after the bad sunscreen but the cloggage is getting worse and I think it's this product causing it. Also the sensation I described as menthol-like above is now rather burny. My SO was using heaps of it too, but now he has come out in a rash in his inner arms from it, and he has pretty tough skin, so i think this stuff is actually rather awful. It also irritates his eyes quite badly as well. We are not amused- sensitive, what a joke!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2008 2:09:00 AM More reviews by ocicat

I love this product! I use sunscreen all year round, and is always on the search for something that's non-greasy, not sticky and minimal smell.
Many sunscreens claim to be non-greasy, but i find they are sticky, or leave a sheen/film. This one lives up to its claims! It dries down to a matt finish and doesn't leave a white cast. No scent at all.
Matt finish is great, because most other sunscreens end up picking up lots of dust after walking around (especially my feet/legs - they get so dirty!).
I was so pleased that I started using it even on my face- this is even better more comfortable on my skin than my usual face moisturiser with sunscreen. (Except it made the skin around my eyes sting a bit) No need to blot my face with oil blotting paper! (Although when i did blot, there WERE oil soaked up, despite feeling and looking dry). The only downside - it does emphasise any dry skin you already have.
Retails around Aust $13 for 175ml, which is not cheap (Sunscreens should be used liberally), but I got it on special for $6.

Since i'm looking to use it on my face more often (even to replace my regular moisturiser with SPF), I called Banana Boat for a full list of ingredients to scrutinise over. I was disappointed with their response - they cannot disclose the full list, because it's a 'secret'. However, if I'm allergic to something in particular, they can tell me if it contains that ingredient. Too bad. I may not be allergic to alcohol, but many products contain irritating ingredients such as alcohol denat, which I dont want to use on skin on a regular basis. But guess I'll never know!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2008 5:45:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

The Powder-Dri range are relatively new products in Australia. In general they cost about $12-14AU for a 175ml bottle, but this week Coles had the Sensitive lotion, which is fragrance free, on special for $7.50. About 18 months ago I developed an allergy to chemical sunscreen ingredients, however I have since discovered I am fine as long as I avoid octyl methocinnamate. Most sunscreens in Australia contain it, including the rest of the Banana Boat range, but the Powder-Dri range doesn't. The active ingredients are:
Homosalate 15%, Octyl salicylate 5%, Oxybenzone 4%, Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane 2.5% and Octocrylene 2%, along with the preservative idoproprynol butylcarbamate.
I have used it three days in a row while outside from 10am-1pm on my face, neck, hands and arms. There is no irritation or redness and it does what it promises, which is to go on like a lotion and dry quickly to a powder. Skin looks matte without feeling dry. I haven't used makeup over it, but given the finish I believe makeup would go over it just fine. It is fragrance free and if I put my nose right up against my skin I can smell a very faint chemical smell which goes away very quickly. Although I will continue to use my zinc oxide sunblock for days when I am going to be outside in strong sun all day, I will use this on those days when I want something cosmetically elegant that doesn't make me look like a greaseball or a ghost.