Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash Extra Black Mascara

3.7

This mascara is serious.
You want volume? You got it.

Unfortunately for me my eyelashes have some natural curl and touch each other in weird places leading this mascara to clump like crazy. I had to do a layer of mascara, come at it with a clean q-tip, then separate my lashes and wait for it to dry while making sure my now obscenely long lashes don't touch anything.

I made a huge mess 1/3 times I tried using this mascara.

But the length and volume were nuts.

This mascara is so good at volumizing and lengthening that it starts to lengthen it's own brush after a month or two. It got really clumpy after that for me which is why I would not repurchase it.

Seriously, when I pulled the brush out it had lashes on the end of it. Not my lashes, lashes that the mascara seems to have grown itself. It was amazing.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This mascara doesn't give very much length or volume; however, it feels super light weight! Probably the most light weight mascara that I have ever tried. But I feel like a drugstore mascara can give better result than this one with one fraction of the cost. With that being said, I wouldn't recommend this mascara.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This is my holy grail. Obsessed with thick lashes the first swipe? I am! I've tried others and nothing compares.

I like this mascara, but not sure I'd get it again. That's just because I have mascara ADD though.

I like the basic, sleek black tube (not a fan of the neon chubby drugstore tubes, so unwieldy omg) and the bristly brush. This formula is very dark -- I LOVE how dark it is. Application takes a little getting used to, it can be clumpy until you get used to the brush. You can achieve ~serious~ lashes with this stuff. Really dark, big, and thick...just be careful about clumps and you'll be golden if that's the look you're going for! Like, I had to figure out to just stop putting it on at a certain point because it was making my lashes so long they grazed my top eyelids and got mascara there. It's my going out go-to for this reason. Stays on all day, no irrititation, removes easily, can smudge a teensy bit by the end of the day on my oily skin.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Very disappointed customer over here! I used to swear by this mascara 5 years ago, but they must have changed the formula since then. I paid $25 for this mascara because I thought I was getting a good product. I would have NEVER paid that much if I had known how sh*t it has become. It smudges after about 2 hours, it can't hold a curl if my life depended on it, and it clumps like no one's business. Honestly, I would even say that Maybelline Greatlash is better than this junk. For such a high-end brand like Make up For Ever (and they have the gull to charge $25 for this!) I have way higher expectations. Shame on you, Make up For Ever. You took a good product and turned it into expensive crap. I will never buy from this company again because I can't trust the quality anymore.
**EDIT**
After forcing myself to use it, I have found that if you apply it VERY delicately and precisely, it can look decent. If you over-do it even a little bit, it goes clumpy.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I love this mascara, my eyebrows are not noticeable without makeup and this mascara makes my eyes pop.

A nice basic mascara. I didn't find it made my lashes exceptional like others I have tried, but it's long wearing and doesn't smudge or flake. It can clump fiercely when layering coats, but that doesn't stop it from being a good product. If you want a trusty basic mascara that doesn't lengthen too much, this is a sure bet.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

So this mascara is tricky, I love how long it makes the lashes look and it really does give lots of volume and length but it tends to be a bit clumpy, the clumps are stubborn to they don't easily separate with this mascara once they are there. Might be buying again just since all the comments I got and the length it gave lashes.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

MY FAVE MASCARA. I've tried this mascara b/c of a free gift from sephora as a beauty insider, & fell in love. I have short & thick lashes & this one definitely does the job of lengthening my lashes to how I want them! Coming from somebody whose spent TONS of money on different mascaras, I'm glad I found this one. I wear this one along with the Benefit Theyre Real & my lashes look amazing. I love the brush in this mascara also. Worth the price. xxoo

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Smoky Lash gives me long, fluttery, defined lashes, which is just how I want them. I don't want thick, hairy, gooey lashes. Smoky Lash leaves my lashes soft, curled, glossy, deep black, and feathery...all day long! This mascara doesn't run or flake or smduge or fade...it just creates a great illusion by making my lashes look beautiful. For an evening "Wow" look I like the Smoky Lash Extravagant formula. It's more dramatic than some false eyelashes I've worn.

Popular Mascaras