October 30, 2014 | 1354 users online

Conditioner - John Frieda - Luxurious Volume Conditioner

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2014 11:42:00 PM More reviews by ckb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is probably the first drugstore conditioner that leaves my hair actually feeling conditioned. I can comb thru my hair and it leaves my hair feeling silky, but not flat. I didn't give it 5 lippies because I'm convinced that it's too good to be true.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2014 1:14:00 PM More reviews by AmberMardina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this when I completely revamped my hair care routine with new products and new styling tools. All of my products are targeted towards volume now, so that's mostly what inspired this purchase.

Then I got home and saw I already bought this conditioner like a year ago and had retired it to under my sink. Ooooh yeah, I thought to myself, this conditioner was really meh. I remember it not feeling like it moisturized much, and when I bought this originally, my hair was a big, damaged nightmare of split ends and breaking, over-processed red straw. Since then, I've let my original hair color grow out, cut off all the damage, and have regained a good amount of length. It's in good condition, thick, naturally weird-wavy, where it doesn't look like a style, it just has different textures of curls, waves and straight on different parts of my head. I heat style every few days, dry shampooing between washes.

So, aside from feeling stupid about forgetting I ever bought this product, I climbed in the shower and tried it again. And I'm glad I have poo for brains, because it's exactly what I want now. I didn't use it in combination with the Shampoo from this line, because I avoid sulfates, instead opting for the Aveeno shampoo without sulfates. The Aveeno makes my hair feel slightly dry, and though this conditioner doesn't feel heavy and ultra moisturizing, it does make my hair feel smooth and soft. Because it doesn't have heavy moisturizers, it's easy to get a lot of volume in my hair, but it's not as if it just inflates with this product alone, in my opinion. Instead it leaves it in a condition that allows you to style that hair high.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I have changed every product I use right now, but with this as a part of my routine, along with Aveeno shampoo, Tresemme Heat Protect, Catwalk Volume Mouse at my scalp and It's a 10 (or argan oil, or macadamia leave in cream) at the ends, my hair is like TV Commercial hair. It's shinier than I ever thought my hair could be. I love the tubes- you can really get all the product out. I recommend it, but as with any good Volumizing Conditioner, it isn't overly moisturizing, as this would weigh the hair down. If you need moisture, you'll be very let down.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2014 12:54:00 AM More reviews by IsabelArcher

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Full disclosure: I didn't try the shampoo and conditioner set, my mother did. She gets her color done in a salon and up 'til now would only let salon products touch it. I'm not sure why she decided to test this out, but I saw the results. Her hair was fluffy and supersoft. I didn't notice any strong fragrance from this, for good or bad. She liked it enough that she'll add it to her lineup. Considering this is coming from a woman who prefers Pureology and considers Redken her fallback option, I'm impressed enough that I intend to try it out myself. Of course, her opinion could change as she uses it more regularly. A lot of sets work great once and then show their true value after repeated use, and this could be one of them, who knows.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2014 6:29:00 PM More reviews by Nancygia

I purchased this recently on a trip to NY. I stayed in a Club Quarters (never again) and they had shampoo for the guests but no conditioner (awful). I selected this conditioner because it was the cheapest one I could find. I was so relieved that I could actually get a comb through my hair that I didn't notice how bad this conditioner smells. Like rotten flowers. It also left my hair looking dull and greasy.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2014 4:25:00 AM More reviews by paperdoll66

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this conditioner with Herbal Essences' Totally Twisted Shampoo. That shampoo is a little drying, so I needed a conditioner that added moisture without weighing down my curls. This worked really well. It does come in a smaller package than I would normally like. I use a very small amount, so it lasts a long time.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/24/2014 1:10:00 AM More reviews by iszeto

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Can a shampoo and conditioner pair give you a forehead full of acne? YES.

This John Frieda shampoo and conditioner Luxurious Volume pair gave me a raging case of acne all over my forehead. I had explosive whiteheads, large pimples and blocked pores. My skin was obviously blocked from one, or more, of the ingredients in this shampoo.

I threw both out and would NEVER buy it again.

I don't have any existing acne or pimple problem, and haven't had any breakouts for the last 20 years.

It took several months and an expensive doctor's prescription of acne medication to clear my skin. I was totally embarassed by my suddenly totally zitty forehead and it took almost 3 months for the pimple marks to disappear.

What kind of a chemical bath is this stuff?

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2013 10:55:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

Like other Volumizing shampoos and conditioners, I find this duo has a split personality. I have to wash my hair almost every day as it is incredibly oily, fine and (most recently) also thinning slightly. When I use this shampoo and conditioner my hair is either full of shine and volume OR lank, flat and dry at the ends. I alternate with the much pricier Philip Kingsley and I find that with both shampoos I need to use a small-ish amount and emulsify with warm water in my hand to produce a slight lather before I massage it in to my wet hair. It's taken a while to master but I still cannot rely on either of these ranges. With volumizing/oily hair shampoos I find they start off great but over a short time the results are very variable. I've also tried a very expensive Kerastase shampoo for oily scalp and hair, with the same results. I alternate with a mild clarifying shampoo once a week so I'm not sure what else I can do!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2013 2:00:00 AM More reviews by bornbackwards

I just grabbed this conditioner because I had a coupon for it and I didn't expect it to be really amazing or anything, but it actually added some volume and successfully hydrated it so I like this. The best part though is the smell, for some reason I love it and can't stop smelling my hair now. I might buy this again in the future but I like trying out different shampoos/conditioners for my hair. I would suggest it for people with fine hair of course that tends to go flat, like mine.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2012 9:58:00 PM More reviews by shinyandiknowit

I got this because I have fine, dry hair, and since I had only been addressing the dryness issue, I had very flat hair and a lot of product buildup. I genuinely enjoy both this and the shampoo and am dedicated to continuing use of it as my hair has perked up immensely and has acquired much less damage over 3-4 months of use than I've had with any other S&C. There is a tad bit of dryness to my hair still, but its nothing intolerable, I have gone swimming several times lately so chlorine is more responsible I think, and overall my hair is still in very good condition. That's pretty miraculous for me. I don't find I need to use heat as much as I used to; my hair just has that blown out volume. The packaging is excellent for my current shower as I stick it upside down between a little bar and the wall so no water gets in and no product leaks out. I do like that you can literally get all of the product out without much trouble. However, I have had issues in the past with their packaging opening easily and leaking out when stored upright. If you don't have the little bar in your shower, I suggest placing it upside down in a caddy. Anyway, I have used it with great success in daily washing for months and though I am tempted to try Root Awakening for its tingle, I don't see myself straying from this for long, and will make an effort to always have some on hand. For those concerned about the price I got 11 oz. each in the 30% more limited time bottles for 4.95 a pop, and after 3 or 4 months, I still have half the tube of shampoo, and a touch over a quarter or so of the conditioner. The price at my local store is still the same, but it is the normal size now, so 8.45 oz. for 4.95 (still plenty of product). Not bad when compared with some of the pricier brands, and considering I didn't have to buy six bottles of other products to address problems caused by this one. I would not recommend this for all hair types, but I do think it works wonders on many fine-haired people.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/2/2012 11:49:00 AM More reviews by emvee

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Used this with the shampoo but I returned both after a few days because it made my hair dry, limp and gave me serious flyaways. I have never used any hair products that messed up my hair as quickly as the John Frieda voluminous stuff. Thumbs down!! Too bad zero isnt an option for overall rating because a one is too high for this crap. Only good thing about these products was the packaging because the tubes allow u to get all the product so nothing is wasted.