September 21, 2014 | 1213 users online

Styling Products - John Frieda - luxurious volume hairspray

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2014 3:52:00 AM More reviews by andToto2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I had high hopes for this, but I didn't live up to my expectations. I don't get much volume, and it doesn't hold as well as I need. I think if you are looking for a light hold hairspray, you may like it, but if you are looking for a strong hold, this isn't it. I'm trying to use it up, and won't repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/7/2014 7:03:00 PM More reviews by KathieL

This reminds me of my 1980's aqua net. It leaves my hair stiff. I want a spray that will hold my style without looking as though I've been shellacked.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2014 8:12:00 AM More reviews by MagnoliaState

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this hairspray for my FINE THIN hair. It holds well. Does not weigh hair down. Not too stiff or sticky feeling. Easy enough to brush out.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 7:46:00 AM More reviews by HannahF01

By looking at other comments i think this hairspray must work best on thin hair. My hairs quite thin and i love it!! Gives great hold and doesnt smell too overwhelming like most hairsprays.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2013 7:55:00 PM More reviews by Rebecca122123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My favourite hairspray, not too expensive and comes in a big can. Gives great lasting hold without being too sticky or stiff and is easy to brush out. Sometimes a lot can shoot out when you press, so be sure not to hold it too close to your hair when you spray it. The smell isn't that great, but It doesn't seem to linger too long. I will keep buying since it works great for me! :)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/10/2013 9:49:00 AM More reviews by MakeupRealist

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stiff sucks, gives no volume and hair goes flat :/ don't waste your dinero!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2013 3:43:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

For a hairspray to add volume in my opinion it must be rather fine lest it weigh down my hair which = flat on me. In that regard this hairspray is too heavy, too wet, and too crunchy. My hair is fine but I've got a ton of it. If you concentrate the spray at the roots or underside of hair, you can achieve some volume because this spray will provide some structure (think scaffolding for hair) for the hair above it to basically rest upon.

So for me it doesn't work the way I'd hoped and forget anyone running their fingers through your hair lol

It holds updo's well, though again hair becomes quite hard. I can't for ex spray this on a pony tail I want to retain some bounce and volume in, it just looks stiff and unnatural.

But if you've read any other reviews of mine you know I'm a big believer in lemons being turned into lemonade, at least with beauty products which can be so costly.

To that end I've found a way to use this and where it performs best for me. So well in fact I'd buy it again just for the following use: best for keeping brows in place!

Sure you can use any ol' hairspray on a brow brush but I've tried so many and this does what I want brow-wise! Mine are thick and dark but often unruly. I've tried many brow gels, hair gels and hair spray. Most sprays are too wet and can drip into the eye even when applied w/a brow brush or spoolie type applicator. I trust you've got the good sense to come in outta the rain and similarly won't spray hair spray around your eye area!

Just lightly mist your brush and then brush brows into place. This does not make my brow hairs clump together, nor leave them looking stiff or flaky with spray residue.
Instead I've got beautiful brows that have a slight sheen, and remain in place all the live long day.

Only one hairspray of at least 30+ I've tried over the years, worked this well on my brows and its long since been discontinued. After I mist my face with water or setting spray when my makeup is done, I brush my brows into place using this, in front of the bathroom mirror as I find standing back to get an overall view gives me the best results. A day or so I skipped this and I really missed how my brows looked. They honestly lacked volume. Used just on my brows I will likely not have to update for another year so its economical for me.

As far as hair goes, when I wear it down and curly (its naturally that way), this is pretty good for a layer of structure. Am I still looking for a gossimer fine mist that sprays in little droplets like fairy dust to invisibally hold my hair in place? You betcha!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2013 2:41:00 PM More reviews by CatherineSolo

My holy grail hairspray. I have been using this since it came out and have never strayed (except once, to try a sample of Ellnet, which I hated). This is the epitome of a perfect hairspray in my book. It is fairly light weight (although it does give hold that you can feel, which I like; "flexible hold" has no place in my hair :D), and best of all, the smell doesn't give me a migraine (unlike pretty much every other hairspray I've tried). I would be lost without this. It holds curls, teasing, everything. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

UPDATE: It's been years, I still use this stuff religiously!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/8/2012 6:02:00 PM More reviews by michaelannek

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Disappointing. Caused my hair to be sticky with some build-up, while only holding style/volume moderately well. I much prefer the Frizz Ease Moisture Barrier Hairspray and Nioxin Volumizing Reflectives to this.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2012 8:28:00 AM More reviews by softcloth

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

EXCELLENT FOR FINE HAIR!!! Cheep. Super hold. Volume all day. This is a wonderful product. I like it much better than Pureology's hairspray which I have used for years. And much better than Big Sexy Hair's hairspray. A+