July 24, 2014 | 1847 users online

Fragrances - Lancome - Climat

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2013 9:39:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Old-time aldehydes tinged with smokey soapiness open Climat. This is not a "today" perfume or a "foodie" fragrance, this is a mature perfume, an experience into perfumery on how it used to be done. Some very old, quite vintage Avon perfumes from their beginnings have this opening, such as Moonwind in the original packaging of the tall blue glass cylinder.
Civet and wood are strong also, while it lasts. Head out to a used book store in some vintage garb wearing Climat on a Saturday afternoon and you'll feel at ease with your world. This is a choice of an adult perfumista who has tried a world of perfumes, one who has stepped amongst the florals, the chypres, the gourmands, the woods and so many others. Climat is for one who understands vintages in their purity. But also appreciates them for what they bring to their lives.
This is a combination of aldehyes, civet, woods, vetiver, florals, mosses, powders and others that blend together in such an old-fashioned manner that it is a perfume that should be experienced. Spraying it on creates such a perfume aura, almost one of antiquity, one that is unspoken of in these fruty-floral days.
Is it old-fashioned? Or is it a perfume for the mature nose? In doing a comparison of Moonwind, I found that vintage Moonwind and Climat(La Collection Fragrances by Lancome) were very difficult to tell apart. The smokiness of Climat, the vetiver and the soapiness lingers throughout in such a classic well-mixed manner. For me, this composition sadly fades quickly. Two hours later, it was gone. But the experience was not, and that I appreciated.
This is a perfume I would pull out infrequently. When I am tired of everything else, and I seek something that reminds me of ball gowns, my college sorority formals, of dancing under the moonlit sky I'll think of reaching for Climat. It's sophisticated. It's mature. It's elegant. It's a completely different experience.
Top Notes: Peach, Violet, Jasmine, Lily-Of-The-Valley, Bergamot, Rose, Narcissus.
Middle Notes: Aldehydes, Rosemary, Tuberose.
Base Notes: Amber, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean, Musk, Civet, Bamboo, Vetiver.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2011 12:38:00 PM More reviews by tessture

An oily, vintage style (or possibly my sample merely IS vintage) chypre floral. Not unlike some of the heavier Russian florals I've been experimenting with (and see my swap list), but better blended. I don't get a lot of green. Sexy in an old world way. Not for me, but glad I got to sniff.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2010 10:40:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Great green chypre. Starts sharp on the aldheydes with a peachy-powdery accord.
Reminds me of YSL Rive Gauche, but without the sharp bitter/dryness of this one, and it goes closer to "Y", another chypre by YSL on the soapy side.
crist and shrap (due to the vetiver), you also have a a white floral bouquet (lily of the valley, jasmine, rose) that turn it into a very feminine scent. The base is amber, musk, civet, and tonka bean, giving it depth and sensuality.
Elegant and refined, goes well with a confident personality that likes understatement but wants to be remembered.
Excellent staying power.

Got a sample from a lovely swapper, although this can be found in the Coffret w/ 4 15 ml bottles of the best Lancome frags (Magie, Mille et un Roses, Sikkim and Climat).

Notes include bergamot, violet, and peach, lily of the valley, jasmine, rose, iris, narcissus, sandalwood, vetiver, amber, musk, civet, and tonka bean.
A Must try.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2009 8:21:00 PM More reviews by staci01

Rummaging around in my sample stash I found a small bottle of Climat. Forgotten about it and decided to wear it for the day. This reminds me alot, after a couple hours, of YSL's Rive Gauche. Same kind of clean powdery green snap and I love it. Great for the current warm weather.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2008 2:18:00 PM More reviews by MadamPomfrey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Climat has a long history of distracting me during my music lessons as a little girl. A lot of women besides my music teacher wore it in the 1970s. It's definitely a classic that defies description.

I cannot break this down into individual notes try as I may. It opens very strongly, in an old perfume style that I don't enjoy much but in about 30 minutes this develops into something sexy and soft. I can't really call it a floral or a green, just can't put my finger on it.

Think of taking a luxurious bubble bath, scrubbing yourself clean and then running at breakneck speed for two short blocks. The clean, sexy sweat you'd work up reminds me of Climat.

Oh and I disagree about the staying power which is great. I can still smell a hint of it this morning after having applied the tiniest amount yesterday afternoon.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2008 4:57:00 AM More reviews by LipstickLil

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

As with many aldehydic perfumes, I find Climat difficult to break down into its component parts as they meld together so beautifully on my skin. It is an aldehydic, green floral with a wonderful sparkling quality and perfect for wearing in the summer. On my skin it's almost a clearer, less powdery version of Arpege - they both have that lovely peachy feel to them! I adore the opening burst of bergamot and aldehydes, softening into a peachy-jasmine-floral blend which is at once sophisticated and refreshing. As it dries down the sandalwood base becomes more prominent and I can also detect a little vetiver and vanilla. It's a beauty! (((T)))

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2008 7:17:00 AM More reviews by Minky0910

Climat has an immense sentimental value to me because this is the only perfume my grandmother used to wear. She started wearing it in the mid-70s when it first became commercially available in the Soviet Union and continued wearing it until her death in 2000. She was a quintessential Climat girl Ė glamorous, classy, with an impressive career (she used to run the largest department store in one of the republics) and a politician husband. Until my early 20s I could not stand Climat, itís stifling richness and the powdery dry-down and even the original packaging were way too much for the younger me as at the time I was in love with my motherís favourite Ė Líair du Temps by Nina Ricci. Now I long for it. Itís often compared to Chanel No. 5 but bizarrely my grandmother couldnít stand No. 5. The original scent is one of the most familiar smells to me, I canít necessarily break it down into individual notes but I instantly recognised that something was missing in the re-release version. Iíd like to think that when Iím older and I am ready to sport high-heels, painted nails and mouth and butterscotch cashmere coats every time I leave the house Iíd start wearing the vintage version of Climat.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2008 9:30:00 AM More reviews by 8ball

The first time I tested Climat, at a Lancome counter, I was blown away with how beautiful it smells. It is like a classic aldehyde on steroids. If you like Ch #5, Arpege *a lot*, you probably will like this. It smells almost the same to me. I bought mine at a perfume kiosk in a mall. Two really wierd things about it you should know. First, when I spray it on, it smell really really really strong. Then it disappears w/in an hour (I have the EDT). Second, and most bizzare of all, there are messages, in French, printed all over the package. Something about "pas de fumer" (no smoking). One check at the ingredients and I saw that one of them is BUTANE!!! Have you ever heard of such a thing? Butane?!? No wonder they tell you not to smoke. You spray this on and *poof* you're combustable. So it smells amazing, but I am giving it only 4 lippies because it is overpriced for something that doesn't last very long. And I guess I prefer not to go up in flames.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2007 1:27:00 PM More reviews by Lietuva

The fragrance is so warm and luxurious, I love the way it smells on my skin also the staying power is great.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/24/2007 11:44:00 PM More reviews by Joyousdays

I hate POWDER smell! Climat like one of my bath soap when I was young, and it is so strong, @_@