December 17, 2014 | 1737 users online

Palettes - TheBalm - Shady Lady Eyeshadow Palette - Vol. 1

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2014 1:13:00 PM More reviews by AJ6488

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

OMG..... thebalm did it again, best out of all the eyeshadow palettes in the market I've tried, it has never disappointed me! All 9 shades are just stunning, great color payoff, I can easily create multiple looks from neutral nude day look to sexy smoky eyes for nights by only using one palette. The texture is incredibly smooth, no fall out.

Forget urban decay's large clumsy palette, this packaging is super cute and sturdy, it's slim and light weight that I can easily take it everywhere with me (also the large mirror is really handy); and stop spending $$$ on mutiple mac eyes shadows (you really need good luck to pick up the really good ones), honestly this is many times better than the mac eyeshadows and has much better value for money.

Most importantly, it's truly harsh chemical free compare to others, which makes it the winner out of all! Many companies now also claim their products to be natural and free of paraben, but they still use harmful ingredients like mineral oil, EDTA, BHT, BHA, yellow 5 lake, Aluminum Powder, etc which are even worse. Always do your research before you listen to the advertisements.

If you love makeup this is the palette you have to have!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/3/2013 2:43:00 PM More reviews by mararum

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This one was more coordinated than Shady Lady 3. Some of the colors from this palette didn't last very long without primer. Others were not true to pan. I had two, which barely showed up on my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2012 2:27:00 AM More reviews by keyelement

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Personally, I like the cute packaging - even though it's cardboard, it's sturdy as heck and not as cheap feeling as it looks. I've had my Shady Lady 1 for 4 years, taken with me on countless weekend trips, and used it more than I've used any other palette I own (because it was one of the first palettes I've ever owned, a gift from my ex) and it doesn't even show much wear on the packaging! This palette I find easier to create two-color looks with than the other two Shady Lady palettes, because there are very obvious pairs of complementary shades (i.e. pink and purple, slate blue with the navy, the goldish cream shade with the olive-ish green) and the dark brown and navy liner shades are fantastic. The only shade I never know what to do with is the forest green, but I don't normally wear such pure, saturated green shades.

I can't disagree with other reviewers - you really do need to supplement this palette with other shadows for blending or crease or highlight. It's possible to use this particular palette for a complete look, but just don't bring it up to your browbone because it would be a satin-shimmerfest. The shimmer, though, is not obnoxious in these shades, with the exception of the dark brown, but even then it's sparkle that just kind of falls away. Considering the cost of a single shadow, this palette is a steal. Most of the colors are just gorgeous. All of the Shady Lady palettes are a great supplement to a stash, especially a small stash with not much color diversity.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2012 2:21:00 AM More reviews by paslarissa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm a horrible impulse buyer but this product didn't dissapointed me, it was on a sale (rare that in Mexico you find beauty sales) and I've read so much about theBalm that I ran for this. All the colors are super pigmented and complement my almost all neutral eyeshadow collection, that it's pretty small, but the purples are perfect for a smoky eye. It's thin and has a decent sized mirror, perfect for traveling and creating subtle and more dramatic looks.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2012 5:02:00 PM More reviews by Ebelida

This is the best eye shadow palette I have seen so far! Granted, I am a makeup novice (yes, quite sad as I'm in my mid-thirties), but I'm trying to catch up quickly. I bought random shadows from Jane Iredale, Urban decay, Lancome, and Physician's Formula, and the Balm. This is by far the greatest. I would have done well with only this palette. The pigmentation is lovely and rich, the powder is soft, and there is minimal fallout. Heh, heh... learning the lingo! :) I love this one.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2012 2:07:00 AM More reviews by AnaKim1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this for sale at Marshall's for $5, and to this day it's the best purchase I've ever made. The colors are beautiful, pigmented, and there's plenty of them. I love the mirror included. Large enough to use for my entire face, yet compact and light enough to fit into my purse. Perfectly sized. I only have to warn about the susceptibility of it to be broken and dirtied. It got broken very easily when one of my friends accidentally put the palm of her hand on it when it was behind her and pushed too hard; also, as you use the shadows, the powder gets loose and gets all over the mirror, and your clothes. Not good :( but other than that I loved it! I used it all up, and I miss it so much I'm considering paying the hefty full price for it, just so I can have the blessed thing back in my collection again. It's so useful, and high quality, it's one of the best palettes out there.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/5/2012 12:32:00 AM More reviews by shordeecat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this when there was the 3 for $40 sale. When it came in the mail I was excited because there has been so much hype lately. I found it pigmented but incredible powdery. Major fall out. I also found all the colors way too neutral and all of them were shimmery. Anyone that purchase cosmetics as much as I do know shimmery colors are cheaper because shimmer is a filler. For $40 for 3 I found the price to be alright, not cheap (for the quality). I did like the packaging because there was a mirror.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2012 11:03:00 PM More reviews by weezee111

AMAZING payoff on the colors, very soft velvety texture, doesn't fade throughout the day. This palette is a fabulous deal and you can honestly use it every single day. The variety of colors is great.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2012 5:11:00 PM More reviews by amanymuhsen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The eyeshades are great! Amazing pigmentation! You can't go wrong with this pallet

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2012 2:38:00 PM More reviews by sara942

Another vote in favor of these eyeshadow palettes!! I own all 3 volumes and they're the best eyeshadows I've ever used. All of these shadows are super pigmented and have a buttery texture that applies evenly and blends easily. None are matte; most have a satiny shimmer to them, to varying degrees. The darker shades also transition well into eyeliners if you wet them.

Volume 1 - neutrals and darker shades.
Volume 2 -taupes, highlighters, base shades.
Volume 3 -lots of playful springtime colors.

In terms of shimmer: Vol 1 < Vol 2 < Vol 3.
Only 3 shady lady shadows are actually glittery:
Caught in the Act Courtney (Vol 1 & 2), Feisty Felicia (Vol 2), and Guilty Gwen (Vol 3).

The pan sizes are very generous; each one is easily as big as a full-size UD or MAC shadow, so it's a great deal! I also love that each one comes with an over-sized mirror and protective sleeve; great for travel. Love!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No