November 25, 2014 | 1800 users online

Cleansers - Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% and Sulfur 5% Wash

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2014 6:47:00 PM More reviews by cauliflower346

I developed seborrheic dermatitis, like another reviewer on here, and went to a dermatologist. He gave me a perscription for this, and told me to wash my face twice a day.

I had great skin up until I hit 21, almost a year ago now. That's when I started getting patches of what i thought was eczema flair ups on my chin. That spread to all over my face eventually: it was patchy, bumpy, and my skin would flake off around my hairline and my eyebrows. If I tried to cover it with foundation, my skin would get flakey. It ended up looking worse, so I just gave up putting anything over it very quickly (foundation never seemed to make the actual rash any worse though! Just made the dry, dead skin more easy to see--plus it wouldn't stick to my skin anywhere)

It burned so sooo badly
I was applying cortizone cream on it almost every 10 minutes just to get the burning to lessen. One of my classmates asked if I had an acid burn, if that tells you anything about how bad it could look. But the burning and itching was most certainly the wrost part of the rash.
My skin was really oily, too. That seemed to be giving me some really fun cystic acne very frequently.
That was not fun.

After getting this, for a couple of months, the rash persisted--but the burning was gone. It was obviously much healthier, and the dermatologist said that that was likely to stay. There just wasn't a way to get rid of the rash for good. I was very upset about that--but at least it didn't burn!!! That's good enough for me, but still dissapointing. It also got rid of all acne VERY quickly. I was very impressed with that.

The rash actually ended up totally going away after a couple of months! I was so happy. Now, it flairs up every once and a while: stress seems to be the largest factor on if the rash comes back.
Not washing off sweat seems to be another big thing.
It'll also come back if I miss a wash or two.
But, for a large portion of the time, IT IS TOTALLY GONE! NO REDNESS! No dandruff comming off of my eyebrows! No bumps!

I'm so relieved; this stuff has really helped me out. I don't know what I would do without it.

Packaging isn't anything fancy, but it gets the job done! It's a bottle, and I can get the product out without any trouble.
There's nothing bad to say except that I've got these red and blue "shake well" and "for external use only" stickers on it. They're not sealed at all, so the dyes leak all over the place when they get wet. I'm not even sure if they're originally part of the bottle, or if my pharmacy put them on.

The only thing it hasn't helped with is the oily-ness of my skin. I think that's causing foundation to change colors, which is very obnoxious. I think that's just going to be how my face is from now on, since it makes since with what the SD does.
But the rash is gone, and my skin is soooo much more healthy (and pain free!) now that my SD is under control.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 1:59:00 PM More reviews by alula

While I would not say my skin was an absolute 'mess', I've for years battled continually congested skin, breakouts and regular rounds of monthly cystic chin acne (usually 1 or 2 at a time that take 2 months to go away), along with many just-under-the-surface bumps along the chin/jaw area. Along the way I've used Retin-A, Taz, and now Ziana. They've all helped to some extent, but would never completely get rid of my bumpy skin - esp. along the chin. Finally after a trip to Mexico which caused all sorts of skin havac, I went to a new dermatologist (for both a horrid extraction and several rounds of cortisone. Gross) and she wrote me a prescription for this. I didn't expect much, but boy has it turned things around for me. Only 15 bucks with insurance. As others have said, I first use an oil to remove my eye makeup and sometimes lightly wash all over with a commercial face cleanser. Then use this stuff for 20 seconds and lightly finish off with my Ziana. Honestly, no other product has gotten me to the point of simply not thinking or worrying about my skin anymore because it's so clear.

I've already gotten used to the fragrance (puppies drowned in a sulfur spring?) - and my dear BF swears he can't smell it when I crawl into bed with my beautiful, even, glowing skin. Praise Jesus.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2014 11:59:00 AM More reviews by Diablo33

Amazing. I was on antibiotics for 3 months and clendamyacine cream. Couldn't get the redness and scarring to go away. I noticed results after the first day of this cleanser. Day 6 and it's almost completely gone. We'll worth the money and believe me, I spent enough on other prescriptions. You smell like a coal mine at bedtime but that's the worst and only bad thing about it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2013 9:41:00 PM More reviews by cstrutt

MIRACLE FACE WASH! I have never had serious acne. In high school i had flawless skin, now i'm 20 and have started breaking out around my mouth and forehead. I went to a dermatologist and was diagnosed with rosacea (which i already assumed I had) and he prescribed me this Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% Sulfur 5% cleanser and an antibiotic. I tried the antibiotic for 2 days and hated how it made my stomach feel plus I don't like the idea of taking antibiotics long term for acne when there are so many other approaches. Instead I decided I'd strictly use the face wash twice a day and it made a noticeable difference. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS FOR ANYONE WITH ROSACEA OR SENSITIVE SKIN. I barley get any redness after I was my face and if any pimples come up they are usually gone within a day or so.

My only side note is that it does tend to make my skin a little dry in my T-zone area but my moisturizer evens that out.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2013 8:45:00 AM More reviews by a1issa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am SO happy I found this product. 8 months before my wedding, I went to the doc and told my story of years of acne misery. As a teenager I had a regular visit schedule with a dermatologist, and everything I used resulted in horrible, peeling red skin. I've always been too sensitive for most acne products.

So, feeling desperate, and worried that I might be married with my terrible acne covered face, I talked to my internist and she spent a while scrolling through long lists of acne medications asking me
What I'd tried before. There wasn't much I hadn't, and this was one if those products.

So I dutifully filled the prescription and went home to try it. Lo and behold, in only a few days my skin looked AMAZING. I seriously couldn't believe it. Was the secret to great skin really just this simple, cheap face wash? Crazy.

Using the wash regularly, I have actually managed to have periods where I have NO acne whatsoever. This wash won't undo the years of scarring, but to be able to have clear skin is such a joy, especially after all these years.

Why didn't my dermatologist try this years ago? I'll never know. But hopefully gals and guys who are having terrible acne issues and can't seem to tolerate the harshness of most medications will come across this product and request it from their docs.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2013 12:47:00 AM More reviews by gcap4197

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been suffering with Acne for years, I have spent a fortune on doctor visits and products that just did not work on my Adult Acne. I started with this Natural Sulfur Soap Product called Dr Joesoef's Sulfur Soap 10%, What a find!, after using this soap for 3 Days I saw a dramatic difference in my Skin and Acne and I feel so clean after use. I use it 2 times a day and always keep a bar in the shower too because it makes me feel clean after my workouts. The large size of this soap makes its last a long time and it has a nice scent. My Dermatologist recently started carrying it suggested I give it a try. Finally the dermatologist delivered amazing results at an affordable cost.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2011 10:56:00 AM More reviews by rebekah202003

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this stuff! I have been out for 2 months and my face is breaking out like crazy. I have used it for approximately 6 years or more. You have to have a prescription and the Wal-Mart pharmacy I was using can not get it from their supplier anymore? Which sucks because without insurance it was thirty something. So worth the price though. Trying to see if I can get it from Walgreens now, fingers crossed! Definitely recommend it if you can find a pharmacy to get it. The sulfur keeps bacteria from growing which helps stop acne. Does dry your face out, which is good for my very oily face. Lotion always worked to help with the small spots, and a once a week scrub helped too.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2011 12:04:00 PM More reviews by TregnierX

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have cystic acne, and this product is a miracle for me! I use this and Spironolactone 50mg/d, and my face is totally clear. If you have cystic acne, I strongly suggest both this wash and spironolactone. Spironolactone decreases the activity of dihydrotestosterone, which is responsible for acne, unwanted hair growth (ie facial hair), etc. I've had acne ever since my late teens, and honestly, this is the only thing that works for me, and I have tried everything except accutane.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2011 2:02:00 AM More reviews by shovelbum89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I absolutely love this cleanser. It does contain a masking fragrance but it doesn't irritate my skin or cause my rosacea to flare. I use it at night in conjunction with a sodium sulfacetamide/sulfur lotion and while I think the lotion makes a bigger difference in the appearance of my skin, the wash is $5 (cheaper than anything I was buying at CVS) and works well.
This combination is, however, extremely drying. I guess the dryness could be considered collateral damage, considering how clear my skin has become.
The smell of this stuff is pretty offensive but considering it's the only thing that's worked for my rosacea, I really can't complain.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2010 2:30:00 PM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I highly recommend this for seborrheic dermatitis and acne (esp cystic acne). I used to use this (when I had insurance) and it was very effective. You only need a very small amount and leave on skin at least 20 seconds. I don't wear makeup but if I did, I'd remove makeup first and then use this. I had a huge bottle (about 32 ounces) and it lasted me over 2 years, using it everyday (sometimes twice a day). Kept my SD and acne issues away. Expensive without insurance but if you have insurance, it's definitely worth a try.

Now, I make my own sulfur products (see my notepad), including my own sulfur shampoo which is working great. I will post my recipe soon. :)