November 22, 2014 | 1815 users online

Moisturizers - MD Formulations - Moisture Defense Antioxidant Hydrating Gel

rated 2 of 5 on 3/30/2014 10:34:00 AM More reviews by tvall

I don't like this at all. I thought it would be a gel like moisturizer but it is liquid serum type consistency. Its really sticky too.

It may work for some people and I've read that it is full of antioxidants which is great but this product should be marketed as a serum and not a moisturizer for oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2014 8:27:00 PM More reviews by srhgts

This gel is perfect for my skin; lightweight and non-greasy, and contains no silicone (which brings me out in terrible spots.) I was looking for an antioxidant product I could use on my t-zone since most moisturisers are too heavy for it, and most serums are loaded with silicone. I wouldn't say the gel feels hydrating at all really, but neither is it actively drying like Hydraluron. My t-zone doesn't need to feel hydrated and I use a moisturiser on my cheeks over the top of the gel, so the lack of hydration isn't a problem for me. There's also no fragrance of any kind or anything my skin is allergic to, which can't be said of many products. It's quite expensive for the amount of product but there's really no alternative that suits my skin so I reckon it's worth the spend. All in all a great find.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2013 4:44:00 AM More reviews by debaser94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Overall this is a really good product (especially in summer): lightweight, fairly hydrating (but could be better), fragrance-free, smart pump packaging (although you can't see how much you have left), plenty of antioxidants. However I found it to be a little expensive for what it was (it wasn't spectacular), and you only get 30 ml. But it did last around 6 months of once a day use so it has some mileage.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2012 8:04:00 PM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

In order to give it a fair chance, I tried this product for a few days, then for one week I used no moisturizer or makeup etc. at all in the daytime, then I tried this product again (while using nothing else in my daytime skincare routine but my normal face wash and this product).
Unfortunately, both times I tried it, this product dried my skin out, leaving it feeling taut and dehydrated, which could be felt as soon as half an hour after it was applied. During the second trial of this, my skin would actually hurt when I washed it at night, after having had this gel on during the day.
I also think it caused me to have some clogged pores on my forehead, but I can't be sure because those do appear from time to time on me anyway.
I have combination skin with a very oily t-zone, so I am not used to any product making my face feel dry and tight (and I have used 10% benzoyl peroxide nightly for 30 years, and I can keep clay masks on my face for an hour with no ill effects).
Maybe I am sensitive to one of the ingredients of this gel, but the ingredients list is pretty short and "healthy-looking", and it is apparently approved by skincare evaluators like Paula Begoun, who has ranked this gel in her highest (best) category for moisturizers made for oily and combination skin.
If this simply provided no moisturization and behaved in a neutral manner, I would probably have continued using it for the easy and properly-protected dose of antioxidants that it provides, which I find hard to get any other way (since I cannot use most moisturizers or foundations because they clog my pores), but this product actually made my skin worse off than using nothing did, so I will be returning it.

Pros:
properly protected in container
contains antioxidants
no fragrance
easy to apply
absorbs quickly
oil-free
highly rated by Paula Begoun's team

Cons:
very drying on me
not moisturizing on me
somewhat expensive for the amount you get
left my face kind of slick-feeling
possibly caused me some blocked pores

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2012 8:32:00 PM More reviews by dour

MD hydrating gel is a light weight, oil free moisturizer best suits sensitive/oily skin.

Its main ingredients are hyaluronic acid, water binding agent. With some added anti-oxidants. It's simple and fragrance free.

I have sensitive, dry and irritable skin. Using this alone is not enough to hydrate my skin. I usually mix this with 2 drops of jojoba oil for added moisture. It wears comfortably on the skin, has a slightly acidic smell but not very noticeable.

Overall, this is a decent basic moisturizer that's best for using in conjunction with other more emollient products. Also the lack of cell communicating ceramides need to be supplemented in your skincare regime too. It is quite over priced, you can find cheaper/ quality alternatives such as Hydra B5 gel from Cosmetics Skin Solution or ebay.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2012 1:39:00 PM More reviews by Elih0

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I started using this moisturizer as to follow a skintherapist advice. I have dry skin that usually break out severe. After about 2 weeks I started notice my break-out started to be very small and almost hard to notice if you don't stand close to the mirror. I am so very thankful for that decition. But the biggest job the "MD formulation cleaner for oily and very oily skin" sure did!. And I didn't give this one the higest rate because it feels kind'a sticky and unabsorbed a while after application and it cost waaay tooo muuuch!. When that's said I think afte I've used up all MD product on my bathroom shelf, I am really excited to try LUSH-products because I like the thought about using natural products and not chemical products as MD seems to be.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2012 3:36:00 PM More reviews by indygal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great lightweight hydrator w/antioxidants. I have dryish clog prone skin and have problems finding products that moisturize w/o clogging. This alone is not enough, but I mix it with argan oil for extra moisture and this combo is really nice for me. Doesn't clog or irritate me.I like the minimal ingredients and it's loaded with aox and feels very soothing.
It is pricey for one ounce and I go through it pretty quickly. But it's worth it for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2011 11:31:00 PM More reviews by krystinabp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Unfortunately something in this product gave me a chemical-like burn, which resulted in tightness, itching and peeling. I figured out it was the Imidazolidinyl Urea which I reacted to in SpectroGel as well.

Don't pass this product by though, (unless you're allergic to Imidazolidinyl Urea lol). It's a nice light hydrating gel and great to use under moisturizer. This caused absolutely no breakouts or flare-ups of my perioral dermatitis which is quite miraculous. I'd still recommend this product as a light hydrating serum. If you live in a dry climate though, you will need to put something on top of this due to the hylauronic acid content or else it will suck all the moisture from your skin.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2011 10:33:00 PM More reviews by shazzar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After using this for 2 weeks, I have to stop, my skin has gotten so dry. It's just not moisturizing enough, pity because it caused zero irritation or breakouts. Will hang on to it though for warmer months. Too expensive to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2011 5:45:00 AM More reviews by NarnianLady

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A great lightweight serum that's perfect either for summer or winter (when paired with a more creamy moisturizer). I loved the fact that there are no silicones. The runny consistency reminds me of.. hmm, saliva, so that might bother someone lol. I don't mind A great addition to my beauty regimen, thanks MD Formulations!