December 19, 2014 | 855 users online

Fragrances - Caron - Narcisse Noir

rated 3 of 5 on 9/19/2014 6:41:00 PM More reviews by Aimbl

I love this perfume. I adore vintage caron extrait in general. NN is gorgeous, white floral orange blossom, decadent. It reminds me (in a very good way) of the various bottles on my grandmother's dressing table. Since I credit her with my adoration of scent and have spent my life thinking that she was one of the most beautiful and glamorous women, this is a great thing. I have the vintage extrait in the bottle with the black rosette stopper.

But, it's extremely indolic on me, to the point where I am unsure if there is a whiff of urine in warmer weather. (Apologies for being graphic) I can successfully wear scents that some reviewers believe are too urinous, cumin strong or animalic, or sulphuric, such as FM Une Fleur de Cassie; luten's MKK or Guerlain's aqua allegoria pamplemousse respectively. So, I recommend that you test NN carefully on skin before buying a full bottle. I plan to revisit this in cooler weather.

The only other caron extrait that I love, that does not quite love me back (though it is less urinous than NN) is acasciosa. I keep trying because I love the idea of pineapple and somehow imagine it will be a cross between patou colony extrait (which I have never smelt) and some heretofore unknown historic chypre oriental hybrid.

I am also thinking of hunting down vintage narcisse blanc, but current NB extrait is somewhat more powdery on me than I like. So, my caron wish list to acquire has vintage or et noir in precedence. If you are thinking of trying any caron, vintage extrait, is far superior to any other format including current renditions of the urn scents.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 3:49:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Finally! A Caron I like and something that can compete with my vintage Bal a Versailles parfum. This has a civet-y orange blossom that is reminiscent of Bal a Versailles. No cloying orange blossom here! This is for adults. Notes, per Surrender to Chance: orange blossom, lemon, bergamot, and petit grain; rose, jasmine, and jonquil; Persian black narcissus, musk, civet, and sandalwood

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2012 11:08:00 PM More reviews by queenofhearts

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This review is for the EDT consistency. Oh how I love this perfume! It's my go-to scent for spring! It is divine and complicated, it smells like an adventure. I can't describe it any better than that.

I can completely understand how some people may not "get" it, it is completely different from what's fashionable currently, but I wouldn't change it for the world. I've already got a second bottle as a back up!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2012 4:25:00 PM More reviews by jacona

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Being a fan of Caron scents, I ended up adding this to my collection unsniffed. I always wanted an orange blossom scent where the orange blossom stayed noticeable on my skin, normally it turns to honey and this is it. I get citrusy orange blossom that lasts and floats over a base of honey, something generally floral in feeling and dark incense. I know a lot of people don't get the darkness opr much incense from the current formulation, but I am so glad I do. It's classic in feeling and so beautiful.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2012 12:54:00 AM More reviews by AntFarm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This smelled fantastic in the tester--like a sweet melange of orange blossoms and delicious ripe fruit trees in an orchard. The moment it hit my skin it turned dusty, musty, and like medicated foot powder floating in a vat of cherry coke. Skin chemistry fail!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2011 8:32:00 PM More reviews by sissyfris

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Narcisse Noir- neither narcise or noir. Orange blossom with slightly sour finish on me, actually went through sample, just to be sure I wasn't missing something. Nope. Nice orange blossom, but JM's is better. Thin, high pitched, sweet, not badly suited to a young teenage girl who wears tasteful clothing. (Modern version, edt. I hear vintage was More.)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2010 7:40:00 AM More reviews by MrsKH

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Naughty oranges.
Thatīs what spring to mind. I have the EdT and love it dearly. Whenever I wear this, I have a feeling that Iīm a star in an old-fashioned black-and-white movie. Red lipstick, ondulated locks, you get the picture.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2010 2:33:00 AM More reviews by Wyrmiax

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought a bottle of this a skillion years ago, just because of the cool name, but I don't remember actually wearing it. Trying it again recently, I think I've figured out why. It's a lovely white floral, of high Caron quality, but there's nothing really distinctive about it--and Caron is normally nothing if not distinctive. The name is the most remarkable thing about it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2009 8:36:00 PM More reviews by ellizam

I have to be honest here: Narcisse Noir is beautiful, artful, and I'll never wear it. It is impossible for me on two counts; 1) it works a nag champa note that has too many sad memories for me to wear; 2) it's a fragrance some of the classic women in my family wore and while I love to sniff it for the memories, it's "their" perfume, not mine.

But it is beautiful, and it is artful, and the idea that my nurse grandmother and other grandmother would choose it in the early 1900's stuns me. This is the dark neroli or jasmine (I'm not sure which of the two it is) that holds very close to incense -- Nag Champa in specific. There's an overlay of orange flower, a base of wood. The touch of civet wasn't noticeable to my nose as problematic, more a burring, a little roughness and grounding and "skin" scent to the incense-y aspects. I've smelled older and newer versions and didn't notice a huge difference between them. But to be fair, I wasn't looking for a huge difference. The bottle (especially parfum) is gorgeous, as is all Caron packaging.

I didn't get urine, or unwashed skin, or anything skanky or foul. It was actually gorgeous to my nose, which is why I hate that I can't wear this. One thing that may be a problem here - this is NOT a modern fruity floral. Not even a little bit a fruity floral. If you come to this with modern sensibilities and expect something one-note linear, thin, sweet, and synthetic/floral like Paris-Beyonce-Tommy-Escada-Summerfling-Winterthing-Moonglow, you'll hate it. It's smouldering, complicated, multilayered, non-linear (in that it changes a great deal as it dries down), and opinionated. A classic, expensive, fragrance. I love it on other people. I love having a decant to sniff.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/12/2009 10:23:00 AM More reviews by Alicka

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't understand the concept of this reformulation. The only impression I have had is a woman emerging from the ancient times (let's say the 17th or 18th century) suffering incontinence and not liking to have shower on frequent basis. Sorry but this one I wouldn't wear even if I was paid for it. I have never had a chance to try the original version but the reformulation is awful and disastrous. God save us.