November 27, 2014 | 989 users online

Lipstick - Urban Decay - Pistol

rated 4 of 5 on 12/20/2012 1:16:00 AM More reviews by veganrebecca

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I got this on sale at their website for $3, which I think was a great deal. Didn't know what I was going to get, but figured it was worth a try for a few bucks.

I was happily surprised with what I got! The color is very sheer, looks natural on my lips. Well, it looks like lip gloss, actually. In fact, I think it is more like a lip gloss than a lipstick - it's soft and moisturizing, looks wet and shiny. Part of the shine comes from multi-colored micro-glitter. It's actually pretty subtle. But a little sparkly.

I have long hair, and Urban Decay lipsticks go on wet enough that strands of my hair stick to my lips if they wander in that direction. So I don't wear them unless I have my hair up.

I love the sugary smell of UD lipsticks. I notice little flavor; definitely no bad flavor.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2012 12:40:00 PM More reviews by Rachelesque

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm going to have to add to the chorus of reviewers noting the bitter taste of this product. It's annoying, long-lasting, and seems to show up about 20 minutes after application. The initial smell/taste I get is a mild caramel, which is the UD-described flavor. Too bad it doesn't last because it's pretty nice. The color itself is AB glitter in a sheer plum base, and looks better if it's put on thickly. A light application seems to give more of a "spotted" lip look, but a heavy coat looks more frosted. I'm still wearing it because it's THE absolute best color of lipstick to wear with purple clothing, but I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for a replacement.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/4/2011 5:36:00 AM More reviews by librigeekgirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Summary:
Colour good, taste bad.

Detail:
I bought this product on the internet, without having the opportunity to check out the colour before buying it. The description said 'purple sparkle', and being a bit of a purple freak, thought I would take a gamble.

Well, the colour is good, though not what I would remotely call purple. There seems to be a trend amongst many cosmetic manufacturers to call pinky-brown colours 'mauve' or 'purple' - off the top of my head, I can think of about 5 that I have that fall in this category, so they are colours that suit me.

This lipstick is quite sheer, so it is a nice colour to wear to work when I want to emphasise my eyes, and just keep my lips neutral.

It smells nice. To me, it smells like berries.

The taste, however, is not so pleasant. At all. It reminds me of bitter aloes, but worse.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2009 1:11:00 PM More reviews by Pixiechix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I love this lipstick sooooo much!!! I have a really fair but warmish complexion and I don't like really thick bright lipsticks and have been using lip glosses most of the time as couldn't find the lippy I wanted. This is perfect though! It has the micro glitter in it and looks like a light plum colour when you just look at it. Once on though it's a lovely natural pinky colour that makes your lips look plumper. A bit like an after glow, after...... That nice natural look. I love it and am really pleased with it. It doesn't look glittery on I think it just reflects the light a lot so your lips do look plumper with a natural slight redness pink to them with a soft dewy looking hue. I think it would suit all complexions and can be built up which looks great too. Another plus is that it stays on for ages and doesn't dry your lips out. I haven't noticed the bitter taste but I don't lick my lips much maybe? I will try though when I next put on! I am so please I have at last found a lipstick that I like. I don't really like the packaging though and would have preferred it if it was less bulky and gimmicky. UD get another massive thumbs up from me though!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2009 7:02:00 PM More reviews by melissab33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

To me the scent is licorice candy and I think it dissipates so quickly that it isn't really worth mentioning. I hate licorice but since it goes away once it touches my lips, I don't mind it. I didn't ever notice a bitter taste, then I read some of the reviews here and licked my lips and yep, it's bitter, but I'm not constantly licking my lips and never taste it except for the time when I purposely tasted it. I also find it long lasting, so perhaps there's a connection between it NOT being long lasting for people who are constantly tasting it? Just a thought.

Pistol is a beautiful, odd color. It's a beiged-out plum with shimmer, which in some lights looks pale silvery blue. It's sheer and buildable and surprising I think considering how plain it looks in the tube. I think it's a unique color that you probably have to try ON your lips to get the full effect. It really seems to pull color from what I have on too... I am wearing a plum shirt today and it looks really plummy.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2009 5:58:00 AM More reviews by tweezerhappy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This lipstick is somewhat hard to describe. It could look warm pink or berry because of the micro glitter of pink and green in the lipstick. I think that the shimmer makes your lips look bigger without looking like there is glitter on your lips. Off the bat the lipstick looks crazy in the tube because it looks like glittered lipstick but when you put this on your lips they look fuller & luscious, YLBB. The flavor is weird but for me it is bearable because I usually put on lip balm anyways. Although, I think these UD lipsticks are pretty moisturizing and not drying.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/25/2008 8:28:00 AM More reviews by idealforbarbecue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

UD lipsticks are back with a bang, with a new range of shades in shimmer purple packaging. At 12, this lipstick isn't as expensive in the UK as it seems to be on the US market, so no complaints there. The shade is fantastic - a translucent warm red/amber/wine shade with a subtle blueish silver shimmer. it's distinctive but highly wearable, and sheer enough to forgive smudges or inexpert application. So It won't alienate those who don't usually wear lipstick.
The Urban Decay logo and a tiny dagger symbol are embossed in the side of the lipstick itself, and the heavy case and sword detail on the top give it a lovely premium feel.
However, I doubt I will be using this lipstick very often as the bitter taste of it cancels out any pleasure of use. It smells divine, but if even a tiny bit touches your tongue, it is very noticeably unpleasant. A real shame for an otherwise great product. The old generation of UD lipsticks never had this problem, so hopefully they can refer to the old formula when ironing out the kinks in this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/21/2008 6:29:00 PM More reviews by gina66

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this lipstick as far as the color and formula go. It shows up as a cool neutral on me, even though it's described as warm. And I like that it is sheer and has some shimmer. I had to take off 2 lippies however, 1 for the bitter taste and 1 for the packaging. This lipstick tastes so bad, and I hate the little dagger thing on the end. Maybe I would repurchase if it weren't for these 2 issues.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/30/2008 4:40:00 PM More reviews by HellzBelleMichelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I first opened this lipstick tube, the look of the color reminded me a lot of one of the lipsticks from MAC's Fafi collection. It looks like there is blue/green shimmer in it and I was pleasantly surprised because the Fafi lipstick is a favorite of mine. However, I didn't see the shimmer when I put it on. The color is suppose to be a warm neutral but sort of gives me a strawberry reddish tint, instead. This lipstick is alright, however I hate the way it tastes whenever I accidentally somehow get it in my mouth. Urban Decay really needs to fix that problem.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2008 9:46:00 PM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Urban Decay calls Pistol a "warm beige" but in my opinion, this shade is waaaay too warm to be called beige. In the tube and swatched on the back of my hand it's a rosy chestnut and on my lips it's almost a russet. A very fall-like color. It also has a gorgeous multicolor pearl that shows up in the tube and when swatched on the back of my hand, but sadly doesn't show up as much on my lips. It's still a pretty color though a bit warmer than I prefer. It has a very comfortable feel on and a decent wear life. Feel much better on than the old school lipsticks from this brand, IMO.

My three main complaints with this product, though: the price, the packaging and the taste. $22 is a bit more than I've come to expect from UD, and I don't know that this lipstick is really worth $22. It's nice, but no nicer than something from MAC which is 40% cheaper. The packaging is pretty too look at, but the tube is heavy and much bigger than it needs to be. The dagger on the end is cute, but bothersome as it keeps the lipstick from being able to stand open on its end and has the potential of stabbing you in the thigh if you carry it around in your front pant pocket. I'd much prefer more streamlined packaging, even at the sacrifice of aesthetic. The old school UD lipstick packaging was better IMO. Finally, this lipstick tastes AWFUL. I'm not really sensitive to the way my lipsticks taste so I was surprised by how grossed out by the way this tastes. I don't lip my lips often so it's bearable, but still. It tastes almost like bug spray. I've noticed that the shimmery lipsticks that I've tried from this new line all have that horrible chemical taste, but that the ones with cream finishes do not so I'm guessing whatever they use to get the pearly finish is to blame. Still weird as I've never noticed that shimmery lipsticks from other lines tasting different from their creamy and matte sisters. Not pleasant!