April 16, 2014 | 1916 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Lanacane Anti-Chafing Gel

rated 1 of 5 on 3/24/2014 2:49:00 AM More reviews by snazzyjazzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This was in my pharmacy as an alternative to monistat, which is suggested for a primer. While it works fantastically as a primer, it caused my acne to flare up terribly, and turn cystic. If you are acne prone, I wouldn't recommend using this as a primer.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2014 6:56:00 PM More reviews by Emily1994

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this product for what it was actually intended for; to stop chafing. I tried finding reviews for this before I bought it, but only found people banging on about using it as a primer, which wasn't too helpful. Anyway;
When I'm on holiday, wearing short shorts or skirts, it's always been a problem since I was about 9, and I'm not saying it was the cause, but the first year it happened it caused my inner thighs to bleed and when it healed the whole area was covered in stretch marks. Last year (aged 19), I finally bought this product, fed up with a trip to the beach meaning pain, blood and rashes for me. I had ordered a sample about a year before that, but never received it. It's probably a good thing I didn't for Lanacane, because I definitely would not have bought the full sized tube. It makes my inner thighs feel moist, which is fine whilst the product still forms a significant barrier atop the skin. But as soon as it's worn off, which happens literally after a few minutes of walking, the chafing is more aggravated than it would be if I hadn't even applied the product. And the temperature makes no difference, it worked the same in England as it did in Greece. Needless to say I've given up wearing anything short on holiday now, and have resorted to wearing jeans in 30 degree + heat and will continue to do so until I find an anti-chafing gel that works.
Hoping to find a use for this stuff though, I did try it as a primer. It definitely measured up to Benefit's Porefessional, but I'm not exactly enthusiastic about that either. It feels nice, but it really isn't noticeable, doesn't make your make-up last any longer (at least if you have oily skin) and is categorically what I call a 'mythical' product. The idea is nice, it feels good and it's great to believe it works, but in reality it's a tube of gunk.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2014 5:04:00 PM More reviews by dyanp989

Best primer i've found (so far) for my oily skin. Thanks mua!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2013 12:57:00 AM More reviews by knitknit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This works well as a primer. A bit drying. I used it with MMU with good results.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2013 8:14:00 AM More reviews by snowwgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A loyal Monistat user I thought this might also work as well as that one does for me as a primer. No, it burned so its not the same.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2013 6:10:00 AM More reviews by Kittykatss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am fairly new to the world pf primers , I am 40 yrs old and have been left with some deep acne scars and skin discoloration from teenage acne. I dont really want to use liquid foundation and have not used it for around six years now - I needed something that would even out uneven skin texture jwhich I could wear under my mineral powder.

I recently bought Smashbox primer ( light ) was very impressed indeed , but whilst researching read about using Lanacane as a substitute - I have done this for a few days now , it is summer , and I can say so far so good - it spreads as well as the smashbox and has not caused any breakouts as such - my makeup seems to sit well on top - and also it does not leave a whitish residue which the smashbox can if you use too much.

Today I experimented with mixing a tiny bit of my concealer into the Lanacane Chafing Gel before applying - seems great so far , I got the pigmented coverage without full on look of liquid foundation , and its not ' settling in ' to my pores and scars either creating those unsightly tell tale signs.

It's a little too early to tell about the oil control - it is summer in the UK at the moment - I'll test it for a few days and report back. Bargain at £4.49 online !

rated 2 of 5 on 6/25/2013 11:49:00 PM More reviews by Rocklover

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

If you have normal to dry skin...this would be a decent primer. Combination and oily skin types - steer clear of this! I'm no primer expert but I have tried a few, and this is by far the worst at controlling oil. I get a little oily on my nose during the day and with other primers I usually have to touch up once in the afternoon. With the Lanacane, I could see oil on my nose at 10am and little oily pore spots coming through my makeup! Eww!

Yes it's cheap. Yes it is smoothing. Yes it goes on fine under makeup. But if you're looking for anything to combat oil, this just ain't it. Spend a bit more and get something half decent.

I gave this 2 stars because I think it would probably be OK for dry to normal skin types. If it weren't for that, I would have given it 1 star!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2013 6:22:00 AM More reviews by mardi6546

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is fantastic as a primer. I bought it because I had heard about monistat as a cheap alternative to primer, and this is the equivalent that we have in Aus. It has a smooth velvety finish, you only need a tiny dollop. It makes my garnier bb cream glide on seamlessly and have much more coverage. I have very very sensitive skin and have found that if I don't use it around my eye area I have no problems. It cost $14 at my local chemist.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2013 3:41:00 PM More reviews by countrygyrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh wow! This stuff has become my HG face primer. It has even helped me use a much cheaper more natural looking foundation - Wet -n-Wild Coverall instead of my old HG Revlon Colorstay. This is a must have for me now. I use a teeny tiny amount- about half of a pea to a pea sized dollop total. I dab a touch on to my cheeks, chin and nose then blend, blend, blend. It feels so soft and silky while blending and it makes my pores look smaller and my skin "perfected". I really do work it into skin because you can feel it, its very velvety and smooth but if you use to much it feels very heavy and you will wind up having a greasy mess. Less is truly more with this stuff. I let it set up for a few minutes before applying my foundation. My foundation goes on so much nicer and I can use less. I top it off with my cornstarch/cocoa powder face powder and my face stays damn near flawless all day even in the heat and I have super oily skin. Lanacane anti -chaffing gel is simply silicones and cornstarch so it does have the potential to break you out. I am meticulious with my skin care so I have no problems with this. The tube is kind of fugly but it is utilitarian and sanitary, plus , its only 6 bucks at my local grocery store so I won't complain. I am in love with this stuff!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2013 10:46:00 PM More reviews by pulsesync

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I found this in a local pharmacy when looking for the Monistat anti-chafing gel. All they had was this Lanacane one. It smells a bit chemically to me. It gives your skin an amazing smooth texture and diffuses the appearance of pores immensely. Between this and the Monistat one (I eventually got Monistat when Lanacane ran out), Lanacane is more pore-diffusing. I would not repurchase this or any other primer because I have personally noticed no difference in the wear of my foundation when I stopped using them (however, I will say my blush and contour fade much faster since I stopped wearing primer/anti chafing gel). I also had much less cystic acne since I stopped wearing primer. If you're not prone to breakouts from silicone products go ahead and try this Lanacane anti-chafing gel.