October 2, 2014 | 1272 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultra Sun Protection Cream Spf 50

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2014 9:00:00 AM More reviews by purplerose95

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have infinite love for Shiseido's Ultra Sun Protection Cream spf 50! It is pricey at $27 cdn for 1 oz, however, I will likely use it more to get out my money's worth unlike getting a $10 sunscreen I may throw out (since it's cheap). I wear this sunscreen whenever I will be outside for more than 10 minutes. I love the application of the product, it goes on very matte and it leaves no white cast! My skin tone is about nc 25-30, a white cast is pretty noticeable on me so I've got to be careful with sunscreens. The sunscreen sinks right in, there's no greasy feel. This product is perfect for one if they wear makeup, you don't have to wait to long to begin applying makeup, I usually like to wait about ten minutes for the sunscreen to set but it's your choice. The scent of the cream is pleasant, I can't put my finger on the smell. I will tell you it does not smell like typical sunscreen. I will continue to repurchase this, however, I may try out Biore's sunscreen (Japanese brand) or Elta MD.

Oh and if you're Canadian. I noticed at Sephora the sunscreen sells for $27 at 1 oz but on the Canadian Sephora website, the price lists that it should be about $20 for 1 oz. I am confused as to why I saw different prices.

I may get the Shiseido sunscreen marketed towards the face AND body because I noticed they have similar ingredients and it's a little more budget friendly than the one for the face.

I should mention I have acne prone and combination skin (oily t zone and slightly dry cheeks).

Edit: Forgot to add, I apply about 1/4 tsp on sunscreen on my face, that is the minimum requirement to ensure proper protection. Apply less than that, you will not get the advertised amount of protection.

Edit: REMOVE WITH OIL! I realized this after I got pimples on my nose. Since the sunscreen is advertised to be water-resistant, it won't easily remove with water based cleanser. I first remove with baby oil then I use my cleanser (PC hydralight cleanser atm).

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2014 6:12:00 AM More reviews by Karinakinn

I've used this sunscreen for about a year under makeup. I lost my no makeup sunscreen so I wore this one on my one hour walk. I rubbed it in well and made sure it was well blended. After my walk I went to Target and Chipotle. I came home, walked past a mirror AND NOTICED I HAD A VERY NOTICEABLE WHITE CAST ON MY FACE! I went out in public like that! I don't worry about it usually Because of makeup but since I wasn't wearing any today I made sure I used less and blended more. THIS IS ONLY A UNDER MAKEUP SUNSCREEN FOR PEOPLE WITH MY SKINTONE(nc 37) I might as well ditch it and you use my drugstore under my makeup as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2013 3:45:00 PM More reviews by lashandbrow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

There's a woman here on Makeupalley who is in her 40s and swears by this stuff. Apparently she gets carded frequently. And her husband is telling her "whatever you are doing -- keep doing it." Well that testimonial was enough for me to get off my butt and shell out the $35 bucks.

This leaves a matte finish with a white cast. You can cancel it out with a foundation - I use Supergoop CC Cream in light OR you can cancel it out with Dr. Hauska's bronze concentrate. Whatever floats you boat.

If you are looking for a drugstore alternative try Coppertone Sensitive Faces -- similar sun protection, just slightly less zinc, and significantly less money.

By the way, the reason I use this is the ZINC CONTENT. I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO USE A PHYSICAL SUNBLOCK. Chemical sunscreens age you. Zinc and titanium dioxide are the ingredients you would want in your sunblock.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2013 4:40:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

the cream leaves a major white cast on my NC42 face so returned. the lotion is much better. very effective sunscreen but thick consistency, a bit greasy (i have oily skin so thats no bueno). $35.00 for 2.1 oz at sephora. returned.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2013 3:49:00 PM More reviews by Suzie1717

This sunscreen leaves a slight white cast on the face. Before I was on Retin-A Micro, my skin was a bit more oily and this sunscreen was pretty good at keeping my face less oily. However, after I started using Retin-A Micro, my skin became more dry and this sunscreen would accentuate the dryness (especially the flakes) and the white cast became more visible. Despite this, the sunscreen was very good in protecting from UV rays and never irritated my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2013 1:10:00 PM More reviews by Rea24

I love the product. It's not as oily as Vichy that I used before, didnt make my skin break into pimples, it doesn't have any colour I.e. it is white, but applied, it doesn't give any tint, I just wish it had bottle rather than tube. Overall, I love this product and would definitely buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2012 10:53:00 AM More reviews by Radchickee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm on the fence about this one. It is a bit thicker than I prefer, but it is winter right now and the air is very dry so my dried out skin drinks this up. I don't think this would be as suitable for daily wear on the face in the summer. For a day at the beach, maybe, but not for daily use. I think I'd find it too thick. I do like the high SPF rating, and I love the pretty scent. I think its a bit too high priced for the what it does and how much you get, though. You can get a high SPF cream for a lot less. The packaging is opaque, which is a plus, but the tube doesn't stand up very well on its own, so if it tips over, the product tends to move away from the nozzle and because of the thick consistency, it doesn't flow back very well, which gets frustrating as the tube gets emptied. I think a better package design is needed for this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/26/2012 4:46:00 PM More reviews by rewound

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have very mixed feelings on this product.
It is an extremely effective sun block. It only requires one application to last all day, even in very hot sweaty conditions. There were times when I would realize that I missed a spot because there would be a small strip of severe blistered sunburn, while the rest of my face had no sign of sun exposure. That level of endurance means that specific cleansing is required to remove it. A normal foaming cleanser didn't work and I needed either an oil-based makeup remover, or MIA brush. It is non-irritating. I have very sensitive skin that was diagnosed with rosacea, and this does not bother it at all - if anything, it is calming. Due to the rosacea, I am supposed to use high level SPF every day, and at first this seemed to be an ideal choice. The matte finish subtly perfected the appearance of my skin and it would look flawless in photos with no makeup. There was a slightly pale cast but it looked fairly natural on me. However, after about six months I started noticing that my skin looked dull and unhealthy and the fine lines seemed to have gotten worse. The Shiseido seemed to be dehydrating and aging my skin. Most oddly, my nose got noticeably larger. It seemed to be slightly swollen all the time. Maybe there was a very mild allergic reaction, or something to do with the rosacea? That aspect could have been unrelated to this product. I carried on using the Shiseido for about a year in total because of the difficulty in finding something else that my skin would tolerate. I tried using a moisturiser underneath but it was still drying. Since I stopped using it, I think my skin is improving and my face looks healthier.
Another negative was that the mattifying effect seemed to diminish as I worked my way through each tube. For the first month or two, there would be the nice matte finish, then it would just stay slightly shiny (while also dehydrating my skin).
One final caution - Shiseido sells similar looking products in different countries under similar names - but they can be entirely different. I bought the 50+++ version (both cream and lotion) when I was traveling and it was completely different - extremely shiny, extremely white tone on the skin. Very unnatural.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2012 4:48:00 PM More reviews by kimannpossible

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My favourite sunscreen after trying many!

My skin is combination, dry but I get shiny and I break out really easily. Doesn't break me out and I find it really helps mattify and control oil. Is great with makeup, almost like a primer and does not feel dry. Thicker, creamy consistency and feels very smooth, silky on skin, no greasy feeling at all. I love that it is a physical suncreen and I don't notice any whiteness but then again I am a bit tan so probably wouldn't notice.

Higly recommend for controlling shine and people with combo skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2012 10:37:00 AM More reviews by ElegantStyle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am basing this review from one application. I went to the beach and no tanning at all! But parts of my body got lobster red where I missed application and I can tell that this works!
I can't comment on how this is under makeup and over my lotion. I can't comment if this will break me out, but I think it won't becuase this had an opportunity to melt into my skin under extreme heat & sun and nothing happened.
$30 for 1oz. This tube does not last very long for what you pay for.