December 20, 2014 | 1130 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Facial Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2014 5:04:00 AM More reviews by silviapco

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this after seeing it was highly recommended by one of my favourite YouTube gals, Sinéad (aka TheMakeupChair). She raves about this wash in her videos as it being the only thing that helps with her acne and breakouts, so I was eager to give it a go. I quickly found a reasonably priced listing on eBay and bough it along with the moisturiser from the same range.

And then I came to MakeupAlley and read the reviews, and I was scared out of my mind. Oh *%$&, why had I wasted my money?

Thankfully my experience with the product is nothing like most reviews here. After reading the warnings about how it dries out the skin, I decided to follow an advice given by Sinéad in her videos: I dilute the product as much as I can. Meaning, I get my face dripping wet, and then I use very tiny amounts of product. I've been using it for a week and a half following this method, and I absolutely love it. It cleans my skin, hasn't caused any kind of irritation or dryness so far, and, most importantly, it clears my spots overnight. I do not have aggressive acne, but I tend to have small "colonies" of spots in my chin and forehead, and this has greatly helped to reduced them. I was especially impressed when it shrunk a huge red pimple I had growing on my chin - and this was the very first time I used it.

The only downside to this gel is the scent. It smells very "chemical", very artificial. It doesn't bother me so much as long as the product itself does what it should, but still, not pleasant. The packaging on the other hand is great, very hygienic.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/12/2014 9:18:00 PM More reviews by lalalovee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This made my face feel dry if you have oily skin maybe this will work better for you

rated 1 of 5 on 12/12/2014 11:19:00 AM More reviews by lovemeforever

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I need a good face wash that cleans off my makeup residue and doesn't irritate my skin. This irritates my skin and clogs my pores I would rather use water than this.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2014 9:31:00 PM More reviews by KyleeMcK

I did not like this product at all. after using it once, I found that my skin felt like it was stinging and was try after I finished washing my face. after a few days of use, my skin began to become very flaky and dry and painful. this lead to dry skin cells clogging my pores, creating more acne. My acne got a lot worse after using this product. I think that anyone who tries this product should have a veerrry heavy duty moisturizer on hand. As this cleanser is extremely drying.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2014 1:28:00 PM More reviews by zipt

I definitely love this product. M using it for a while and my blackheads disappeared. Cleaning my skin very well.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/13/2014 1:33:00 AM More reviews by MollyParton

I bought the face wipes from this line and loved them; my chin, which is prone to acne, cleared up, my skin felt soft, and it was nice to have something quick and reliable on hand; the products smell wonderful and are beautifully packaged to boot. So, when I ran out of my normal cleanser, I decided to try this one; it's less expensive than my usual, which was a nice perk. I really wanted to love this cleanser and was so looking forward to seeing results, but I'm four days in and my skin is itchy and red and looks and feels burned. I'm seriously concerned about how long the damage will take to repair. I thought perhaps it was the change in the weather (it is windy and cold where I am) but my lips and body are fine; just my face is burned and itchy :( so sad. I'm not willing to continue to use a product that's burning my face just because I paid money for it, so it'll probably get thrown away. If your skin errs on the dry or sensitive side I wouldn't try this cleanser.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2014 4:46:00 AM More reviews by Ditty109

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a horrible product for me. I have dry acne-prone skin and had seen good reviews about this cleanser and matching scrub so gave them ago. I had breakouts across my chin in a couple of days after using them twice a day and I had to use them up because I didn't want to waste any money. Very disappointed!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/23/2014 3:07:00 PM More reviews by nnnnnnrrrrrrr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I can't believe the packaging suggests using this twice a day. Since my skin is sensitive, I thankfully did not; I used it once a day over two days and, like so many reviewers before, it ruined my skin. I had one (annoying, large) hormonal zit and now - even after abandoning the face wash a few days ago the problems are continuing to worsen - my entire face is bright red, incredibly dry, scaly, inflamed, my eyelids are puffed up, and the zit is monstrous, cracked and seeping. Applying anything stings like hell - soothing moisturisers, E45 cream, you name it, it hurts. Even lying on my pillow last night hurt and I had to put some ibuprofen gel on my cheekbones where the inflammation is worst (that stung too).

Somehow I misremembered reading good reviews of this product on here, which is why I bought it & believed it'd be okay even on my sensitive skin. I don't know what I got it mixed up with. Nothing has ever caused anywhere near this bad a reaction for me & I'm too embarrassed to leave the house. Awful, just awful.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/22/2014 9:26:00 AM More reviews by rosebuddy581

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this product because of the hype that comes from YouTube gurus.. It is a gel cleanser that comes to a lather when you use it. Upon my first use, it seemed to be a good cleanser. The next day, I noticed that my face was red, itchy, bumpy, swollen and ratchet in general. It stung when I put on moisturiser and my skin was flakier than ever. Also, I noticed that it made my eyelids swell over my eyes. Save your $9 and don't buy this. The product is ratchet, the smell is ratchet, the packaging is ratchet. I'm probably going to dump this out and use the pump bottle for something else. Ugh. Not swaggy. Swag level=0.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2014 4:01:00 PM More reviews by DG001

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've never ever written a review, but this product deserves a special mention. I've never in my life used a product so crappy, that it gave me depression. I wish I could give a minus rating.

I generally like Neutrogena's products, specially the Neutrogena Naturals. This time, I couldn't find it in store, so I picked the GrapeFruit one. Holy Moly! my life just took a downward curve. I generally have periods of rosacea and I drink alcohol once in a while.

So when I started this product 5 days back, the second day, my skin started inflaming and I thought that my rosacea flares are back, kept trying for next 3 days and my skin had inflamed like never before. I thought maybe it was the alcohol, so I cut it down, started taking rosacea medicine, but I didn't doubt the product. No reason to doubt Neutrogena!

Day 6 (today), I got up and my skin was peeling and even touching or moisturizing the face hurts. As it is Saturday, I had some time to think if I was doing something different and casually started searching for Neutrogena grapefruit reviews. Lo and Behold! This has been the reason of my agony, my missed workout sessions, missed outings for the week. I can't hate it enough. I hope Neutrogena takes this off their shelves. I'm praying my skin goes back to normal, as I have some improtant events to attend next week.