Chanel Poudre Douce Almond Powder

4.6

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Just like the previous reviewer, it looks like I've applied a finely milled mica all over my face which could easily be mistaken for greasy/shininess. I wanted to love this because it's such a pretty compact and smells so light and pretty, but if my face is shiney BEFORE I apply this powder, it gives me an even shinier look. Sadly, I won't be purchasing again.

on 5/21/2009 10:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Meh. The more I use this, the less impressed I am. First off, I was a bit disappointed because I thought it would have a bit of warmth, a la Beige Chic. No dice. If you're an ivory-skinned PPP, this might add a barely discernable bit of warmth along with the reflective glow. However, since I'm ~NC20 & use yellow-toned foundation, this powder imparts a cool-toned, silver (!) glow; my foundation is warmer than the powder. Get it? The look you get is as though you've powdered your face with mica that has been milled & milled & milled some more. There are no chunks & there is no sparkle; just the smoothest, silkiest, uniform, mica-tastic gleam. Frankly, I wasn't expecting (or wanting) a silvery, reflective glow.

And for what it's worth, I powdered one side of my face with this, and the other side with Becca Hyawatha PSP. No difference. That's why I wouldn't buy this again. When I run out of this & Hyawatha (assuming I don't die first) I'll rebuy the Hyawatha because I can see no difference between the two & I think Hyawatha has a longer lifespan because it's a harder press. Net-net, for a finishing powder I prefer Becca Loose Powder (Sesame) or YSL (self-milling #2) or Beige Chic.

on 3/6/2009 4:42:00 PM

It's the only highlighter I LOVE to use. Yes, it's a powder and a highlighter - all in one. My face looks picture-glowing, nothing glistery or chip looking. Just a glamour look! Too bad it's LE...

on 1/21/2009 5:37:00 PM

This is truly a find...I am not much of a powder gal as I find most accentuate any fine lines and tend to tire me out, but I went to Chanel to check out their new Spring collection and the SA gave me an entire make over. She used this over my Teint innocence cream foundation, as they still had a few left from the limited edition fall/winter collection, and I am simply amazed......It is absolutely gorgeous. It adds a chic, elegant, adult like glow to your skin and gives the skin a magazine- like appearance.....It is not frosty or glittery or mask like in any way (more of a subtle shimmer)...I truly expected to not give this a second glance, until I looked in the mirror after she applied it, and I knew I had to have it. This is limited edition and from what I found most stores are out of stock, so if you get the chance, splurge and buy this...It's fabulous and your skin will look amazing...................Love, love, love this!!!!

on 1/16/2009 9:48:00 PM

This is my most prized cosmetic item. It brightens my skin and I will be sad when I hit the pan! It does "glitter" a bit very close up, but it's not noticeable from a distance and it gives my skin a beautiful glow.

on 12/23/2008 11:32:00 PM

The absolute best pressed powder. It has the most subtle shimmer--just enough to catch the light and make you look extra beautiful. This is perfect on me, for reference I wear 0.8 gentle ivory in TI foundation.

on 12/18/2008 6:58:00 PM

Never in my life did I think I'd spend $115 on my face at one time, but this powder plus the Teint Innocence cream to powder foundation was completely worth it! I've been wearing MAC's Studio Fix for years simply because I liked the simplicity of putting on a foundation that did not require a separate powder to "set" it, but this powder is so finely milled, it glides on like a cloud and helps hide those fine lines and large pores one tends to collect in middle age. My friend at work even thought I'd had Botox when I made this foundation and powder switch - can't get much better than that!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this stuff. Almond has just enough shimmer to highlight, yet it is subtle enough to use it all over your face. After I put my TM and powder on, I lightly brush this all over my face, and then I dip in the pan again and run the brush just under my eyes, on my temples and down the bridge of my nose. Almond really gives me a soft glow without being discoball. I have tried to lay off backups but I am going to make an exception for this.

My only minor complaint is that I would have gladly taken a thicker compact if they would have added a brush compartment like Shiseido powders.

For reference, I am NC15.

on 10/4/2008 12:09:00 AM

This is a gorgeous powder. The counter clerk put this on one half of my face during a makeover and compared it to the half that hadn't had it applied yet. I couldn't believe the difference. My skin was brighter and more alive looking. I had to have it.

The Color: The color of this powder is a very light peach with some subtle shimmer to it. I'm a MAC girl at heart and I love me some shimmer, but this is shimmer with elegance. The overall look reminds me of a less-white version of MAC Lightscapade MSF, my HG highlighting powder. With Lightscapade I only applied it around the outer edges of my face, Chanel Almond I can wear over my entire face.

The Feel: This is so silky... I've never had a powder feel this good.

The Packaging: Ok, Chanel had to justify the price somehow so they threw in a little brush and put both the compact and the brush in their own velvet bags. Yes, it's nice, but come on. Do I really need the bags or the brush?

Bottom Line: If you're at all interested, go for it. This is a quality product.

For reference I'm MAC NC15 and Chanel Teint Innocence in Albastre. continued >>

I love this powder. It really does improve the look of foundation, and the slight shimmer brings out the colour of your cheeks and eyes. I've had the SA put it on for me twice, now.

But at $50, I can't bring myself to buy it.

**EDIT ** 1/19/09
I finally gave in and bought this powder. I love it. I think it brightens my cheeks and gives me a very pretty glow. I feel so much fresher and prettier with this on. For the instant boost in confidence, that $50 was well spent. My HG powder when I never used to see the point in powder!

Recommended for Normal Skin