July 29, 2014 | 1987 users online

Gels/Soaps - Desert Essence - Vanilla Chai Body Wash

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2014 6:44:00 PM More reviews by aisabelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I love this; smells amazing and full of natural ingredients. Unclogs pores on the skin so your body feels smooth and hydrated.

I bought this at Winners (basicallly the Canadian Marshall's and don't know where to repurchase).

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2012 3:09:00 AM More reviews by smurfkitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really like how this shower gel actually lives up to its name and kind of smells like chai and contains real tea. The vanilla chai scent is lovely and unique. I like how this product does not contain SLS, which is a must for me. I also appreciate the reasonable pricing of this brand and how this gel lathers well. However, I have to say this is a non-repurchase for me, because I found that this shower gel was making my skin dry with regular use. It's a shame, as I liked everything else about it, but even if I was only using it every second day or so, it was leaving my skin feeling tight and dry.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2011 6:44:00 PM More reviews by Ehrial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this product almost a year ago now (time flies). I like the scent a lot, I have sensitive skin and most body washes with fragrance burn my skin and give me patches of eczema. This one definitely does not do that. I like that I can use something that doesn't smell like nothing and not have to suffer consequences for it :) It's gentle and it works well, a little goes a long way and the spicy vanilla smell fits well into both the summer and winter months. I still haven't finished the product mainly because I've been switching between this and bar soaps. I'll probably try out some other body washes just to change things up, I may or may not come back to this but, at least I know there's ONE I can come back to. (Plus, I hear the coconut one is awesome too.)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2010 4:55:00 PM More reviews by Xya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Violet

I have sensitive, acne and eczema prone combination skin. Anything too moisturizing clogs my pores, anything to combat acne usually dries/irritates my skin and might inflame my eczema..it's fun. I started using natural products after becoming vegetarian, wanting to use non-animal tested products, and found they were often much gentler on my skin (though often also more expensive). Nonetheless, I never found anything that actually greatly improved my annoyingly finicky skin (tea tree oil and other "miracle" products others rave about usually irritate or do basically nothing for me, or have very inconsistent results).

But a while ago I was looking through the natural products for some type of body wash that had green tea in it (one of the only decent acne cleansers that don't irritate my skin) and happened to notice the word "Repairing" printed on this bottle so read the ingredients. The first two are black and green tea, and the rest of the ingredients were also very gentle (it does have salicylic acid which can irritate my skin, but it's WAY down on the ingredient list and hasn't bothered me at all - I've been using this stuff for over a year now). I decided to give it a try and noticed the improvement pretty much immediately. I use it every day (sometimes twice a day on my face and any problem areas) and my skin is now the healthiest it's been since before my teens (I'm now in my late 20s). It drastically calms oil and inflammation without irritation or dryness, minimizes my pores and makes my skin so soft.

$10 (Canadian, I get it at the Superstore) might seem like a lot to pay for 8oz, but once you lather it in a facecloth (microfibre's best for sensitive skin) a little goes a long way and the results for my entire body (my eczema's improved to the point I barely get it anymore, it also cut down on ingrown hairs and irritation when I shaved though now I epilate and still have no issues - I use pure aloe gel on any inflammation I do get or to moisturize if I have to) are more than worth it (the bottle opening doesn't allow much to squeeze out at once, but you can use scissors or something to easily widen the hole). "Repairing" is definitely an apt description for this, I won't bother trying any other body wash when this has done what no other cleansers or acne products have ever managed to without eventually making my skin worse. And while this technically has a scent, it's so minimal/subtle and natural that it shouldn't be a problem for anyone (smells like an extremely diluted/watered chai latte, and doesn't linger at all). I definitely notice the difference if I DON"T use it now, so anyone with skin like I've described or anything less severe should give this a try, it's an extremely gentle but quite effective cleansing body/facial wash.

EDIT 9/27/10: The last bottle I bought had a MUCH wider opening than those previous - instead of having to widen the hole with scissors and even then really squeeze, it's now very easy to pour too much with more than the slightest pressure. I'm not sure if it was just that bottle or if they altered all the packaging as such. Be careful of how much you pour as you don't need much - a pea-sized drop works for the face, and a quarter-sized amount's generally good for the whole body. It's best to lather it in a face cloth for the body as it does lather but not extensively (it isn't overly thick, but at the same time it isn't so thin it's watery so it does give some lather..it's about the same thickness as liquid honey), so it wouldn't last long in a loofah and too much would be wasted just washing by hand.

EDIT 1/13/11: I found this to be just a bit drying for daily use in the winter (it can get down to -10 degrees C or even colder where I live) and tried the same brand's Fragrance Free body wash, which seems to work just as well (in the winter at least, not sure if it's strong enough for summer or humid climates) as the Vanilla Chai. This bottle I bought had another ridiculously small spout I had to widen, so whether you get one that's too small or too wide may vary (this may be an old bottle or they might've stopped making the wider spouts, I don't know - be careful when first pouring it until you know). Also, I put this in a travel bottle when I go anywhere as the packaging really isn't a very good design for that.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2010 3:24:00 PM More reviews by prettykitty1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I purchased a small tube of this shower gel as part of a four-pack of Desert Essence products in trial sizes. The scent is wonderful, and it lathers nicely.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/1/2008 9:50:00 PM More reviews by MaryFran

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This part of the Desert Essence Organics line. I actually like the Vanilla Chai scent despite not being a fan of most vanilla scented products. The smell is pretty much the same as the lotion. Great for layering scents. My biggest complaint is that the packaging sucks for travel. This is true of all the DE Organics line.