July 31, 2014 | 1332 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Expert Wear Eye Shadow Quads

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 3/4/2014 1:24:00 PM More reviews by lulu56

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought Lavender Smokes. Is this a new formula along with the new packaging? Well, to answer the question, this is horrible. While the colors in this are pretty, there is really no pigment in the darkest colors. The only sparkly shade is the lid which I avoided. I put the crease shade on (with primer on) and a couple of hours later, I went to the restroom and looked in the mirror and it looked like I didn't put any shadow on! Arrgh! This is going back to Walgreens, along with the new single shadow Tuscan Lavender which is very sparkly, btw.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2014 9:03:00 AM More reviews by Jmillie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have this in charcoal smokes. Its a good look for a smokey eye, though only when applying with own brushes as opposed to the ones provided. Its a basic simple kit for smokey eyes and a good place to start if you don't want to spend much one a look or are starting out with makeup.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2014 9:55:00 AM More reviews by dachua

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Maybelline has been coming out with some great products, but IMO this isn't one of them. I purchased it in Mocha Motion. It's powdery and has almost no color payoff at all. I didn't even want a very rich concentrated color, but this is ridiculous, not good at all.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2014 2:21:00 PM More reviews by Jennlw5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have this quad in Mocha Motion. I like that they aren't glittery, I like a softer neutral eye. These I have to say are very sheer. I have tried with and without lid primer but that didn't help. I layer it on but still no real color and within an hour it just looks like I forgot to put on eyeshadow.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/12/2013 10:15:00 PM More reviews by stuffaboutbeauty

I wanted to love this because in the packet the colors look beautiful and it tells you which one is for the base, lid, crease, and liner. I got the Rose Lights and the Sunlit Bronze. They were not pigmented enough and made the shimmer in it stand out so you end up looking weird like you wanted to put a bunch of white tiny glitter all over your eye. Some shimmer is good which is why I thought it could work but without the color showing up, this kinda sucks so im sticking with matte colors from now on.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2013 7:42:00 PM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

These quads are a real toss up for me. Some of them have great pigmentation, some of them have pigmentation so horrible that they should be illegal to sell. The palettes that I currently own are Amethyst Smokes and Chai Latter. The colours in Amethyst Smokes are absolutely because but you can dig your brush in to the shadows and literally not gett any colour. So disappointing. On the other hand, Chai Latte is probably one of my favourite quads, if not my favourite quad of all time and I take it literally everywhere I travel or am on the road and need some quick shadow. Its kind of annoying since you could go and gamble that you could get a good product and end up with a really awful one so I think I'll only ever repurchase Chai Latte.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2013 1:08:00 AM More reviews by tonkabeane

This review is for the Maybelline Expert Wear Eyeshadow Quads in Natural Smokes & Amethyst Smokes. I don't particularly care for Amethyst Smokes (even though my favorite colors are shades of purple/violet), however, I find myself using the Natural Smokes quad regularly. I particularly like the shade labeled "lid" since it's a nice neutral taupe/brown color with a satin finish. I also prefer satin finishes over matte and sparkly/glittery finishes. I usually use the "crease" shade for evening outings to add a little something more to my regular look. I haven't really found a use for the "brow" (in the older version; in the new version, the "brow" shade is called "base" I believe) or the "outer corner" shades. I have rather small eyes so I have a rather small canvas to work with. An all-over lid shade and maybe a crease shade are all I need.

In regards to the packaging: it's pretty cheap, but I have yet to break any of mine, and I am prone to dropping things. If you're not a fan of sponge applicators, then I would suggest throwing away the applicator that comes with the product and invest in a good eye shadow brush. However, I have found that the sponge applicators are convenient when I am getting ready for work at 4 am and I don't have my glasses on. I assume that they would also come in handy for on-the-go touch ups. The quads are the perfect size for traveling too.

Overall, the pigmentation and staying power in comparison the price of the product makes these quads a great value. So I would definitely recommend this product to others, especially to those who want to try new shades or experiment with new looks without spending a ton of money.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2013 12:42:00 AM More reviews by NaomiHa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

You can get this relatively cheap roughly between $4-$6 USD at Walmart/CVS/Walgreens etc. If you go to CVS there is always a sale on maybeline such as their bucks back or buy one get on 50% off. Sometimes you can also find this at Dollar Tree OR Dollar General for dirt cheap.

I've gone through probably 3 or 4 of these. So I believe I know a little bite about this particular item.

Packaging is average, I am only giving it a 3 because only because the clear plastic thing ALWAYS break off on me, but what can you expect from something that is so cheap.

Color pay off is great, sometimes, (as long as you don't get a dud) the pigmentation is good even without primer. Natural Smokes is my go-to. If its a day look I usually don't use a primer to look more natural, but with a primer I can turn it into a dark neutral smokey eye. I've never had a problem with fading, creasing, smudges, etc.

The blendable is easy as long as you use dry, I had a GF that recommend doing it wet and it was horrible, and ruined a quad.

Love the fact that its so small I can carry in my purse, or travel bag....

If they fix the packaging I would rebuy in a heart beat, I will always rebuy it. however I think I might venture out somewhere else, only because it always breaks on me, and I do not find that sanitary at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2013 8:51:00 AM More reviews by IheartCHA

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have this in "Moca Motion", which I totally picked up...for my brows. These colors range from white, light grayish brown to a medium grayish brown. They all have a small hint of shimmer, but it's not overpowering. Perfect amount if you ask me!

I used to dye my hair an auburn color, so I could get away with most browns to fill my brows. Once I grew my hair out, my natural, medium ashy brunette hair took its place. I bought everything and anything to fill my brows and ALL were too red, orange, or had some weird, yellowish tinge. This quad is PERFECT!

I also regularly wear this on my eyes too. Like I said, not super shimmery. I've never had problems with pigmentation or anything. Other than the packaging, I really like everything about this quad. I will repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2012 11:10:00 AM More reviews by mmmgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really don't like that the pans are unequal sizes now. I tried to even contact Maybelline about this, but their site wouldn't give me their email. Also, these shadows irritate my skin. They need to take out the talc, or get rid of whatever is causing this. I do like the shadows; however, I must put them over a heavy layer of base to minimize the irritation. I like that the shades are wearable, and they have many pretty colors that work well together in the quads. Some companies just seem to throw colors together that would look bad when all of them are used at once.