April 21, 2014 | 1220 users online

Foundations - Zuzu Luxe - Oil-Free Liquid Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2014 2:52:00 PM More reviews by shamrock

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product is not consistent between batches. I loved the first tube that I bought in 2011 in L3. The second tube, same shade, was very chalky, as though it contained too much sunscreen. I returned that one. The third tube was okay, but was not as moisturizing as the original tube. I used it up, but had to mix it with a little moisturizer. The fourth, purchased a few weeks ago at Whole Foods, had the same great texture as the original tube, but it was way too dark on me and orange. Grrrr. I returned that one to Whole Foods, and am looking for a new brand. It's too bad, because a little more attention to quality control would make this a great product for mature, dry skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/30/2013 9:13:00 PM More reviews by kponce007

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I usually buy the Gabriel moisturizing foundation but since the Zuzu luxe is advertised as a heavier foundation I thought I'd try it. I'm not sure why they market it as a medium to full foundation, it is so sheer! It doesn't blend in well either. It is a little more expensive than the Gabriel foundation and not definitely not worth it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2013 1:12:00 PM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is hands-down the BEST foundation I have ever used. I have very oily, acne-prone skin, and after I set this with powder, it lasted all day without getting shiny or turning into a swirly mess like every single foundation I've ever used before. It really is amazing!
I have the shade L-11, which is quite light and has a neutral tone to it, which is great because my face is sort of in this weird in-between state of being cooler on the cheeks and warmer on the nose and forehead.
Anyway, the color matched perfectly, and when it dried, it set down to a silky, natural-looking finish.
It has SPF, so I set it with a powder to tone down any potential white-cast if I'm having photos done, and it looks so gorgeous in the photos that I was practically fawning over how wonderful my skin looked on camera.
I've tried so many foundations in the past, both drugstore and high-end, and none have even come close to this. I can't rave enough.
The packaging is great too. I love the squeeze tube - it's more hygienic. The price is high-ish, but only about $30, and I've seen lesser-quality foundations go for much more than that, so for price, I gave it a 3.
I will buy this again when I run out. I'm tempted to go buy another tube now to have on hand, in case they discontinue this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2012 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Gracious_Lady

I've tried it and I really like ZuZu oil-free foundation because it meets my specific needs. I'll be the first to admit that if you are looking for full coverage, keep looking; this provides lighter coverage. Personally, I had a need for a lighter formulated foundation suitable for on-the-go makeup retouches during the day, and also suitable for wear during the warmer months. I already use Origins stay-tuned balancing foundation and I love it, however, during the warmer months, it's a little thicker than I prefer to wear. (I live in Georgia, it's too hot & humid during the summer months to have on a face full of foundation so I was motivated to find a solution to this problem!) I'm allergic to parabens in face makeups so I browsed Whole Foods cosmetics section recently looking for something to meet my needs. I was immediately attracted to the ZuZu display because it had a few foundation shades suitable for women of color (big plus!!). Next, I was intrigued with the ingredients (this foundation contains aloe vera juice and calendula - which are 2 ingredients known for their soothing qualities plus Vitamin C & E and it's SPF 18! Lastly, the tube is perfect for purse carry. I bought the shade L-21. It matches beautifully my complexion beautifullly -- not too orange and not too beige - perfect! I'm very happy with this product. I've been working on my skin, trying to practice better skin care habits and using a prescription retinol to prevent acne. As my skin is improving, I need less makeup so I can even see using this during the fall/winter months. So far, it has not broken me out, and I pray it does not. However, if for some reason it starts to do so, I will definitely update this review.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2012 12:31:00 AM More reviews by sweetgoldilocs

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't wear makeup. This is my first time buying any foundation. I spent a lot of time in Whole Foods trying different brands and shades. This was perfect. The coverage is natural and undetectable. I am forty but I certainly don't look it in this makeup. I love it. A bit pricey though.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2012 11:15:00 PM More reviews by TattooVi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wasn't convinced I liked this when I got it. I have been using Josie Moran's argan oil self adjusting color match foundation for a while. However, it's very expensive and I wanted a cheaper option. After getting it home, I blended the foundation with argan oil I already had. It ended up having a very silky texture, and the argan oil helps it blend smoothly over the face and neck. So....after a few adjustments I'm very happy with this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/20/2011 12:14:00 AM More reviews by sparkleandshine79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So, I bought a whole buch of ZuZu Luxe stuff all at once when I got this. I had decided to overhaul my makeup and make greener/healthier. This was the only product I got that I didn't like. I will not use this ever again. It took me a little while to figure out this was what was breaking me out. I also don't like the consistency of it either. It feels heavy for being oil free to me. It might work for some people but definately not for me. It was also expensive (I think I payed $20 or more for it) for only getting 1oz of product.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2011 6:49:00 PM More reviews by queenfluff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ok, I was using the Gabriel Color line in Pale Ivory - perfect color and awesome coverage -but it made me breakout!!! WAH! I was so bummed because this covered all my redness, dark circles and didn't fall in my lines. So I figured it was one of oils in the product that was making me breakout so since the oil-free Zuzu Luxe is made my the same company I figured lets try the oil free and see. I go the L-3 which is closest to Pale Ivory. The other reviewers are right - this foundation provides NO coverage at all. WTH??? And it is more expensive. It actually has less ingredients in it - why would it be more expensive than the Gabriel Color line by the same company that has more ingredients (and honestly is better quality)? On the website, it says "medium to full coverage" My butt! This has less coverage than the Physicans Formula Organics Tinted Moisturizer I have. It covered NO red on me. And it is not like I am a lobster or anything. My cheeks are just have a little redness. The color match seemed Ok - cool/neutral undertone but I honestly couldn't even tell because well, I used twice the amount that I used for the Gabriel Color and it still didn't cover ANYTHING. What was worse is how much I paid - $31! Back this goes to Whole Foods. Another thing is that when I took the tube out of the Whole Foods bin, it was laying on it side and I could clearly tell that the tube was NOT full. I honestly thought it was a used tube but all the other tubes looked like that too so I figured it was just the way it was but it still irked me that I was paying that much the tube was obviously that even full. Right now it is standing upright and I bet in the morning I will be able to tell it is not full. Doesn't matter anyhow -because it doesn't do what I need - back it goes! I just ordered some Ecco Bella online and we will see how that works for me. So, if you don't break out from foundation, get the Gabriel Color line of this foundation - not the Zuzu Luxe one and you will get the coverage you need. I have lots of acne scars and uneven skin tone - and it covered pretty well for me. Don't get the Zuzu Luxe - unless you want no coverage for 31 bucks. I am pretty disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2011 11:54:00 AM More reviews by melaniesusan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my new favorite foundation! I use in conjunction with the matching Zuzu Luxe powder foundation, and the two together provide light to medium coverage, yet allow my skin to breathe. Neither causes my combination/sensitive skin to break out. The liquid alone leaves my face an oil slick, and the powder alone does not provide sufficient coverage, but the two together work perfectly. During the day, I touch up my oily areas as needed with blot sheets and Jane Iredale beyond matte translucent powder. At most, I only need to reapply the Zuzu powder once during the day. It holds up very well.

Prevous foundations used were: Jane Iredale pressed powder (not enough coverage; needed to reapply constantly); MAC studio sculpt (rubbed off on my clothes; caused me to break out consistently after 1 month of use); Paula's Choice Best Face Forward (good coverage, breathable skin, but led to breakouts); and Lancome Teint Idole Ultra (skin breaks out after about 1 week of use; consistent 18-hour wear results in clogged pores). The Zuzu liquid/powder combo provides more coverage than the JI foundation or a tinted moisturizer, but less than my MAC or Lancome foundations. However, since Zuzu doesn't break me out, I can get away with the lesser coverage.

Color matching is a little tricky with Zuzu. You might need liquid and powder in different shades to get a perfect match. My skin is neutral (but more cool than warm), and light-to-medium in tone. I wear C1 or NW20 in MAC; light beige or warm silk in JI; and Buff 4 (C) with Light 10 (W) in Lancome. In Zuzu I started with L-3 in the liquid (light/ivory/netural), but ultimately decided it was too light for me, and also too pink. I then switched to L-11 (light/medium/neutral) which is a much closer match. I typically set it with either the Zuzu D-7 powder (pale/ivory/beige) or D-14 powder (light/medium/neutral). At the moment, I'm not totally happy with either shade: D-7 is too light/orangey, but D-14 is just a tad bit too dark. I get a better color match with Mineral Fusion setting powder, and sometimes use that instead. However, the Zuzu powder controls oil better, so I go back and forth between the two brands.

I have the new packaging of the liquid foundation, which is a 1-oz. soft plastic squeeze tube, rather than a pump, and is eminently portable for travel. Also, I'm guessing Zuzu re-formulated the product sometime after 2009, because it has plenty of slip - it doesn't dry too quickly or go on too matte like a previous reviewer described. Both my Lancome and MAC foundations dried much more quickly than Zuzu. I apply Zuzu with my MAC foundation brush. Finally, I agree with a previous reviewer that the coverage is light, but once you combine it with the matching powder, the coverage improves substantially, so be sure to use the two together.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2011 6:08:00 PM More reviews by JodysHere

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I like this foundation very much! First, it's vegan. Maybe that's all I need to know. ;-) But the L3 colour is great for me, and I really like the super-light texture.

I will say that I have a problem with the pump action of the bottle, blasting out product in an unexpected way. Also, I like the Revlon New Complexion liquid foundation so much, I'd have a hard time switching to ANY other foundation, at this time.

But I really do see this product as my #2 go-to foundation, for everyday wear. Thank you, Zuzu Luxe!!! Great alternative to the cruel kind of make-up!!!