October 24, 2014 | 1803 users online

Shampoo - Jonathan - Green Rootine Nourishing Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2011 2:30:00 PM More reviews by StickyFingers

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Has anyone else noticed a formula change to this shampoo?

i've used this shampoo off and on for about two years and there seems to've been at least three formula changes. i have two bottles right now that produce different results, and one shampoo when poured out looks like brewed tea and the other looks like really watered-down milk.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2010 4:34:00 PM More reviews by Kayelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This checks all the boxes for me: free of many harsh chemical ingredients, nice scent, and effectively cleanses and adds volume. Most liquid shampoos don't lather nearly enough and get used up almost instantly, but the foaming nozzle on this bottle creates perfect suds (without SLS!). I'll buy this again and again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2009 2:40:00 AM More reviews by goldensyrup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love that this is silicone and SLS free and that it's a foam shampoo which makes it incredibly easy to dispense with little waste. Unfortunately this great smelling spearmint shampoo simply did not do a great job of cleansing my long mass of hair, even when I do a double foam up my scalp seems to get dirty and matted so much faster than with other SLS free shampoos.
I bought this whole range and was rather unsatisfied with both the shampoo and conditioner but the leave in treatment was the stand out of the three items. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2009 3:53:00 AM More reviews by yyou

This is a really great product, especially you have eczema-- it is Sodium Laureth Sulfate free but ALSO free of all the other SLS replacement additives they sneak in there (which other green lines are guilty of). The foaming head is a great solution to the fact the shampoo doesnt lather, there is no buildup no stickiness- which is scary if you aren't expecting it because we've been brainwashed to think that lots of foam=clean.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2008 3:25:00 PM More reviews by Lanier

Ingredients:

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2008 8:10:00 PM More reviews by MDgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

As of late, I noticed that my scalp has been sensitive and my hair a little oily at the scalp but dry throughout. I read about the Green Rootine line in Oprah and decided to check it out.

The shampoo is very interesting to say the least! It is a foam!!
The foam did not lather up so I just distributed it throughout the hair and scalp and went through the motions. My hair and scalp felt clean after the rinse. I might have been a little heavy handed w/the pumps but I am used to a *little* lather! The scent is a pleasant peppermint/spearmint....almost like old school Doublemint gum after a serious long chew! My hair was left clean and soft...not greasy, limp, or tangly.

I liked the all natural ingredients...no silicones/no sulfates!
I used the conditioner w/this and received wonderful results from the blowout! The price is around $22 but that is what I normally pay for shampoo anyways! I will interchange this w/my new OJON shampoo.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2008 3:38:00 PM More reviews by Meritorious

I love this shampoo. I took a real chance on it because Jonathan products have been hit or miss for me. But I'm trying to simplify and go basic with my beauty routine (rootine?) lately and this really fits the bill. It is synthetic-, paraben-, sulfate-, protein-, petrochemical- and silicone-free. That's quite an accomplishment and really the only shampoo I've seen that pure. The ingredients: Water, Saponified Cocos Nucifera (Coconut), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba), Olea Europaea (Olive) and Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oils, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Extract, Mentha Spicata (Spearmint) Oil, Citrus Sinensis (Orange) Peel Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract. It comes in a 5.1 oz. foaming pump bottle.

I've been using this for three weeks (there's still plenty left in the bottle) and find myself using it every day even though I have Giovanni, Fekkai, Jane Carter Solution, and Aveda sitting right next to it. It does not seem to strip my hair which can be a little on the dry side in the summer. The scent of this is invigorating and fresh-- mostly minty. There are some secondary herbal scents but they blend very nicely. Great for the morning when I need a little jump start. The mint also makes me think that this is clarifying in some ways. I usually only need two pumps of product and my hair comes out squeaky clean just as the bottle promises.

The foaming pump dispenser is a great idea. I have used plenty of styling products (hand washes, anti-bacterial foams, etc.) with the same mechanism that produces a light, airy foam. This is no different. Plus, it travels very well. I'm aware that this type of dispenser allows the manufacturer to use more water and less of the other ingredients but it also allows me to easily customize how much I use more than the usual pourable shampoos. And I appreciate that I can use the bottle over and over for other purposes. Perhaps Jonathan Product should consider adding to their line a concentrated refill for this shampoo that can be combined with purified water in the bottle for reuse. Eco-wise, that would be even better than the recyclable bottle.

I purchased all three available Green Rootine products and this is the hands down winner for me (I will add reviews of the conditioner (I'll score it at 3 1/2 lippies) and the Silkening Creme (3)). Do I think this is overpriced ($20) for a shampoo? Yes. Will I continue to purchase it? Yes. It does everything I want a daily shampoo to accomplish with none of the side effects that usually make me rotate in a new product. And the purity of the product makes it a real winner for me.

EDIT 6/21/09: Still using and loving this. When I'm not 'washing' with conditioner, this is what I use. Only.

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No