October 1, 2014 | 895 users online

Eye Shadow - Bobbi Brown - Metallic Eye Shadow - Velvet Plum 3

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2014 11:20:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

This is very pretty in my palette and gives some metallic sparkle to jazz up an evening look.
I use it as a topper shadow or with a special primer to get the full effect. I wouldn't really call it a plum or even a blackened plum like their website suggests. It's a sparkling brown with a touch of purple, but not much. And there is an overlay of golden sparkles. Mine is soft enough and not gritty or hard to work with.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2012 4:37:00 PM More reviews by AliciaLago

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

With blue eyes works fine. I thought when I bought it that it would only be for nights out, with all the metallic thing in it, but I wasn't right, it's quite versatile. You can wear it for work everyday as it doesn't show the glitter it seems to have in the pan. It's easy to apply and to blend, very nice and silky (not as silky as the Bobbi Brown velvet eyeshadows, but soft enough). Really pricey, but worthy if the colour really suits you, as it will last a long time (the pan is quite big).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2011 7:42:00 AM More reviews by jtg1968

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This shade is one of my favorites for work. I use it in the crease with BB Woodrose as a base and Navajo on the browbone to highlight. If you are looking for a plummy-bronze twist to the smoky eye, it will work well on the lid also. Use a light hand, however, as this shadow is especially well pigmented. It doesn't settle into my fine lines as some might expect, but then again I only use this as a crease shadow.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2011 4:46:00 AM More reviews by iberian

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I haven't found a way to make this work. BB metallic shadows are awful quality compared to the wonderful BB regular e/s. They're chalky and gritty, don't blend well and the color intensity sucks. This shade should be called 'Shiner' - you know when a bruise is a few days old and looks like a dirty mauvish purple? Maybe if you're very cool toned this might work for you, otherwise - skip it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2010 11:29:00 PM More reviews by rediska

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this product because BB consultant applied it to my eyes together with an eyeliner and I liked the result. The texture is really nice and not too powdery, but I find that I can't wear it straight on the lids as it doesn't blend very well and looks blotchy. I need to have a base colour first to wear this eyeshadow, which then dilutes the colour and makes it look like any bland grey. Like other people here have noted, it's subtle and strong at the same time. To be honest, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to wear this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2009 11:34:00 PM More reviews by Ssephora

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a beautiful DARK mixture of (mostly) brown, and some plum. This is too dark by itself. But it looks gorgeous as a secondary color. Love to shade it in with my main; all over color. Looks so beautiful. Fades off a few times during the day, even with primer. That's the only thing I don't like about it.

It has a slight shine to it. It isn't really metallicy though. It cost $21

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2009 4:02:00 PM More reviews by pulidobl

The MA used this in the crease of my eye with Heather cream shadow from BB and it looked fabulous. Too bad I couldn't duplicate this myself at home without my eyes looking bruised. I also found it difficult to blend. I don't want to knock lippies off an item for my in-expertise at application - it is another wonderful complex color that BB knows how produce so well (an other reviewers have described so well...). I find it DOES work great as an eyeliner!! Just wet your brush slightly and apply... I am BB sand or beige (depending on formulation and time of year) for reference.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2009 11:20:00 PM More reviews by chanelmontes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This shade looked absolutely horrible with my brown eyes, brunette hair and fair-medium skintone. It made my eyes look sunken and sore. The color is just far too dark and ashy overall making it a pain to blend. Both times I tried applying it I had to take it off immediately. I can see this working more for women with darker skintones or someone with light colored eyes and hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2009 3:24:00 PM More reviews by sweetcg49

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Velvet Plum is a mixture of plum and neutral. Others here have called it taupe, and I guess that's an ok evaluation, but it seems to have quite a bit of plum to me. I think it's simply beautiful. It isn't too light or too dark, and even though it is a metallic, it isn't too glittery. I can wear it all by itself and it looks great. Thanks, Bobbi.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2008 9:49:00 AM More reviews by pinktini007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really wanted to love this eye shadow, but I can't. I find it very hard to blend with other shades, so I can only wear it on it's own. I don't think that the formula is the problem, because the metallic e/s in "Forest" blends just fine. "Velvet Plum" is a pretty color, but I'm more of a mix and match person.