November 24, 2014 | 1653 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Aliage

rated 2 of 5 on 10/25/2014 10:26:00 PM More reviews by Aimbl

Two star, meritorious, but I visit this infrequently. I have a vintage bottle of aliage sport fragrance, written vertically down the side.

It is a VERY acquired taste that evokes mid century classic green chypres in all their mossy, fusty, bitter leathery glory.

If you can wait for the dry down, it becomes a softer soapy scent (referencing a time when luxury soap was finely milled and heavily scented).

A spray is way too much, try dabbing a cotton ball and then touching one wrist to the spot very lightly. Honestly.

Modern niche luxury perfumers like Roja Dove and others are returning to such scents, possibly in reaction to EU and IFRA regulations limiting the use of classic ingredients. Before buying fetish or Nuwa for an enormous amount of money, it's worth visiting vintage classics for far less.

If you are a fan of current gourmand fruity scents, such as Estée Lauder paradise or pleasures or some such, this will be impossible to handle - don't even try. If you blanch when you smell Clinique aromatics elixir, or if you feel EL private collection, vintage frosted bottle, needs sweetener, Aliage is way too green and dry and bitter and retro.

If you feel that you must try a classic green chypre for purposes of your olfactory education (like I felt), I would recommend EL private collection instead. PC is a unisex classic green, but more straightforward, less funky, less chypre, unsweetened pine. PC is not a scary masculine leather animalic pine leather like Caron Yatagan, or overly phenolic like Piguet Bandit. And it's available in tiny inexpensive frosted glass miniatures all over the web.

If you want something classic, green and chypre, but more Galbanum esque, but far less hard core, try Niki di Saint Phalle vintage EdP. You could also try vintage Fidji EdT, but I don't recommend investing a large amount of money unless you are certain you like Fidji. Fidji admirers have driven the prices up.

More rose, vintage Chanel 19 EdT; more floral green, Cristalle vintage EdT
More Galbanum, but not as much leather, Vintage Balmain Vent Vert extrait, square bottle, not the bottle that looks like it was topped with celery fronds. (I personally adore Vent vert extrait). It's totally different, not musty at all.
Floral leather chypre: Miss Balmain vintage or Miss Dior, vintage EdC.
Fruity chypre with strange gourmand note, not sweet, diorella vintage edC.

You will not smell like anyone else around you.

If you buy a vintage bottle of Aliage or PC, the color of the liquid should NOT be too dark.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2013 1:36:00 AM More reviews by kstone1964

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

ew ew ew I so did not like this fragrance. I had been so hopeful I remember smelling it on a teacher in high school and hoping the green would bridge me over until I could buy Cristalle my all time favorite green fragrance (I have YSL In Love Again but prefer Cristalle 2 thumbs up) I took one spray and just cannot stand it too strong even for a men's fragrance. luckily I ordered it from Nordstrom no questions asked I'll mail it and just remember that memory is not always a good substitute for first hand knowledge.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2012 12:29:00 AM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My review is of vintage Aliage. It starts out with a blast very reminiscent of Cristalle. It quickly turns fresh and GREEN bursting with spring time promise. It then settles into something very close to sweet grass. The sweet grass dry down persists all day. Unfortunately, the oakmoss annoys me to the point I need to take a shower to get this scent off by the end of the day. I have a love/hate relationship with oakmoss. I get lots of compliments though and enjoy having it in my collection.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/23/2012 7:57:00 PM More reviews by allureveil

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

There are already reviews here that describe Aliage very, very well. However, let me just add, be warned that at first this seems terrific, then it turns into something really scary, and that bitter odor takes a while -- over an hour in my experience -- to morph into the base note territory. I was afraid I had made a big mistake with this purchase: sprayed it on my wrist, loved it, sat down at the computer and was really turned off by what developed, shrugged it off and went to the grocery store, and by the time I returned home, there was a superb fragrance going on for me! Give Aliage a chance because for me it could be well worth it. UPDATE: I have given up. This just settles into a real stinker on me. Too, too bad. Seems impossible to find any vintage that is still of good quality. Such a drag that they had to change what was, according to reviews here, once a real winner.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2012 2:48:00 PM More reviews by HRH_UK

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

The info on the notes below comes from the UK EL website. Maybe there's been a formula change since the below posts.

I have fond memories of Alliage from my youth. I smelled on someone on an airplane and I had to have it again. I couldn't believe it was still being manufactured and found you can only get it on EL online, Harrods or Selfridges.
When I tried it on at Harrods, I almost left without buying it. The overpowering stench of Jasmine was overwhelming. After about 15 minutes, I had another sniff, and fell in love.
It is not the Alliage of my youth - that was a very "green" fragrance. The dry down is a woody spice delight with a slight hint of floral. Glad I waited for the old lady vapour to wear off!

Top Notes

-Vetiver
-Cedarwood

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2012 3:08:00 AM More reviews by Fleurine

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Top notes: green notes (galbanum), citrus, peach
Heart notes: jasmine, rosewood, thyme, pine needle
Base notes: vetiver, myrrh, musk, oakmoss

Estee Lauder's Aliage is a complex and challenging green chypre that caught me off-guard, by kicking off with a remarkably unfriendly but head-clearing blast of bitter greens, peach, herbs and citrus. Helloooo. This opening might make you question, "Why Aliage?"
Ok, if you make it through a few minutes of that without either getting a migraine, and/or scrubbing it off, then you could be in for a real treat.
Aliage then starts opening a wonderful wicker picnic basket of surprises for you, deep in the forest, as you spread out your blanket in the shade underneath the soft fir trees.
Aliage takes some of the bitterness, and slowly start to transform it into piney powdery woodiness, with a hint of jasmine and musk, and I would not be surprised to find out if juniper was in there as well. Although marketed as a "sport" scent, this doesn't smell like a gym, or locker room shower. Aliage to me is about the great outdoors, a cold wet morning in the forest that warms and dries in the sun. Very good.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2010 3:00:00 PM More reviews by dioraddict84

This is the so called first "sport" fragrance. It is very citrus and green. Top Notes

* Jasmine

* Cedarwood

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/14/2010 7:58:00 PM More reviews by kdm1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I know I am in the minority here. I had this fragrance in the 70's. It was fresh and green and stayed true to the new green smell from start to dry down. Now...........initial spray is pretty much the same sharp new green bite that I remembered and loved. Then something went all kinds of wrong. Musty, like the perfume was old. This was a new tester bottle at the Lauder counter! I gave it a lip for the green edge and it is very different from the other fragrances out there today. I will not buy unless the original formula was reintroduced. Maybe a vintage bottle?

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2010 11:39:00 AM More reviews by perfumenut

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I voted that I would buy this product again, however I know I will never have to since one bottle will last me a lifetime. My bottle is from 2008 and it probably doesn't smell like the original (although I'm not sure because EL tends to keep most of their fragrances as close to original as possible). I've been going through the classic Estee Lauders looking for something established and unique but not wildly popular because I'm sick of all the modern fragrances....well, Aliage is not it (I prefer Knowing, PC and Azuree) but it does have a lot of merit.

Aliage is wonderfully dry, sharp and green and therefore will not get heady or creamy in the heat. However, on my skin, the nice notes develop very slowly, and I have to go through an excruciating 20 minutes of "Aquanet hairspray and scalp". Truly horrible on me in the beginning (and I'm not afraid of abscure notes) but delightfully dry and leafy after an hour or so. I'm looking forward to trying this in humid heat as I think cool dry air doesn't serve Aliage well...making it too sharp and less rounded.

Do I appreciate it - absolutely! Will I wear often - absolutely not. I will reach for this when I go to the beach or pool.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2010 7:44:00 PM More reviews by Nowheregirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

My mom had a solid perfume compact of Aliage in the Seventies that I would play with as a child. So I got nostalgic and bought a bottle. At first it smells strongly of the aldehydes in the top notes, but when it dries down it turns into a smokey, woodsy green fragrance with a hint of sweetness. It may be an aquired taste, but I like it. It's perfect fir days when I don't want an overly feminine fragrance that overwhelmes you with florals or vanilla. It's perfect with jeans on a weekend, but I wear it to work as well.