October 1, 2014 | 1818 users online

Hair - Nioxin - Thinning Hair System 4 (coloured hair)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2014 12:04:00 PM More reviews by justilou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I am getting desperate..... I have thyroid disease and my hair and eyebrows are coming out in clumps. To top it off, I decided to dye my fine, naturally medium, beigey blonde hair myself. KHAKI - it went KHAKI!!! Many bleachings to kill it. If you have ever tried to brush the hair of a well-loved Barbie doll that goes everywhere and sleeps with it's six year old owner, you are getting an idea of the state of mine. It's matted, stretches and breaks when I comb it (only with conditioner in it) and basically looks like the homework after the dog got it.
I have used this system twice now. My scalp loves it. I love the minty smell, so that's not an issue..... It certainly looks fuller, but it's kinda, um..... crispy. I decided to use the leave-in scalp treatment only on the baldy bits at the side (still crispy) but the rest feels better. Will delay my verdict until I've given it a more thorough work-out.

Their reconstructive treatment is WONDERFUL as well.......

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2014 1:36:00 AM More reviews by bearpawz

My hair is thin, fine, and gets oily within 24 hours so if I don't style it, it's limp, heavy and thin. Not a good combination!! I'm on my second round of buying this stuff and I'm still loving it. The first thing I noticed about this product is I can now go every other day without washing my hair, sometimes 3 days! As far as it making my hair grow back in I can not really say. I can say it makes my hair much thicker and stay less oily. Before I damaged my hair horribly (2 color corrections and 4 colorings...) it made my hair feel and look sooo healthy. I would get compliments about my hair often. Now, it's making it so my hair doesn't get any worse. The conditioner is very moisturizing but since mine is so damaged I recently bought redken extreme conditioning plus and I'm hoping that will save me from having to use so much conditioner. Over all, I will always buy this because I can go days without my hair feeling as heavy, oily and love how it makes my hair thicker.

I give it a four only because of the price..

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2013 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Marykathleen1995

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I am a hairstylist with curly, colored(many times), thin, and fine hair. I used to have a very full head of pretty blond hair(now red haha), and after getting on Nuvaring I lost AT LEAST half of it. I started Nioxin after my salon manager recommended I give it a try, and it seems to work nicely. My hair now appears slightly thicker, and much healthier. Being a stylist the products I use are generally a bit pricey so the slight difference didn't bother me, the shampoo and conditioner together are only 10$ more than I already pay for my Paul Mitchel set anyways. I highly recommend, the system does what it says it will. Cleans buildup off the scalp and makes hair APPEAR thicker. Whether or not I have more strands on my head I am uncertain, but it does make it appear that way.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2013 9:39:00 PM More reviews by 4EVR16

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just finished my 4th week of System 4, which coincided with a visit to the salon. This product is working.

I have thin, fine hair. On my last visit to the salon, my hairdresser noticed a huge change from my previous appointment 5 weeks earlier. My hair seems to have succumbed to stress.

I have shampooed my hair every day for 4 weeks, and used the scalp treatment and scalp therapy religiously. Other than hairspray, I did not use any other products, and I also stopped using the flat iron. I relied on my fingers, a round brush, and in some cases some velcro rollers on the top.

A week into the treatment, I noticed some frizzy ends, but those have disappeared. Although my hair is gray and not chemically treated, my hairdresser went with the kit for color treated hair for the moisture.

I have been given the ok to use quality water soluble styling products such as Aquage (not the wax - it is silicone based). I may look into the Nioxin styling products, but truthfully my hair does not look bad just using the kit. I might add that some reviewers who say this did not stop hair loss or otherwise improve the condition of their hair may have continued to use products that work against Nioxin.

I do see the difference in texture, new growth and thickness. It was a blessing to hear this confirmed by my hairdresser.

These products are no more expensive than other salon products, and really do the job. The scalp therapy needs to be shaken well to get the foam consistency required. The scalp treatment IS rather thick and hard to get out of the bottle.

You can also order travel sizes in refillable bottles - but be careful as I saw a travel "kit" that was not refillable. You could probably use regular travel size bottles from the drugstore, but I would still buy the travel size scalp therapy because of the foam application.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2013 11:21:00 AM More reviews by TrainedDreamer

As I write this review I am 21 years old (1/8/2012), but my hair started falling out about 2 years ago after a drastic weight-loss & illness following close behind. I have maybe 1/3 the amount of hair I used to.

The shampoo is great. It really cleanses & left my hair with amazing volume, as if I never lost any hair. Even if it doesn't aid any regrowth, I'd still repurchase based off of that.

For those of you with female pattern balding, buy this shampoo ASAP. It's one of the few that will wash away sebum (from DHT...which is the cause of your hairloss).

As for the conditioner & leave in scalp therapy included in this set. Ehh...I'm not really impressed. The conditioner is sort of drying. I'm sure I could find a better, cheap, volumizing conditioner. Another reason I wouldn't repurchase the conditioner is it will do absolutely NOTHING for your hairloss. Conditioner should not touch your scalp, & thus it is useless here. Shampoo & leave in scalp products made for this sort of issue are your best bet.

Now for the leave in product included in this kit...absolutely horrible. How does ANYONE use this??? It left my hair crunchy, my scalp irritated, & worst of all - did more harm than good. After 1 night's usage I can tell my hair is even more damaged because this mousse crap hardens your hair to the point that itll break off when anything touches your hair.

I think I will return this kit, & just buy the shampoo. That would save me some $$$.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by Pcrate

I gave this a 4 overall rating because I used this system once before with the follicle booster and was on biotin and properly taking care of my hair.... this was a few yrs ago... now I'm on the system 4 again with Biotin 10,000 mcg and hoping this product will show me favor on what I think is thinning hair. So I am 3 weeks into this treatment again along with the Argan Oil conditioner and a protein leave-in condition with the Biotin... My edges are destroyed compliments of micro-braids on already stressed edges (will NEVER do micro-braids again). Nioxin pls don't fail my edges!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2011 11:28:00 AM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My hair started to become much thinner (they are fine already) and they are coloured. So I was looking into getting some good hair treatment. Also started using coconut oil but wanted to use another treatment as shampoo, conditioner. So I heard about Nioxin and wanted to get it right away. Too bad its so expensive in Canada, one small bottle (250ml) cost $20 but 500ml - $40. Therefore I looked for it in the States and was so happy when I found a Kit of Shampoo, Conditioner AND the Scalp treatment for only $23. Yeay, I bought it in # 4 right away, they are size 250m. My boyfriend got the Shampoo and Conditioner too, # 2, both for $20. He bought it for me innitially but I told him he can use # 2. Right away he was very impressed with the results (said his hair is felling out less - just after one wash!) and I also noticed some results. First of all, I love the smell - smells minty a little but it has that weird cold feeling on a scalp afterwards - cold like mint. My hair felt really full body and nice and I will keep using it for a few months to see the results.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2011 9:01:00 PM More reviews by Smanga

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have used this system twice now (cleanser and the scalp therapy - shampoo and conditioner) and so far have been *very* impressed. My hair is clean and soft (I have typically dry hair that most product make worse).

My hair appears thicker, because it is so clean and not weighed down by oily ingredients. I purchased the smaller tubes from Strawberrynet to just see how it went but I will definitely be buying the larger ones when I run out.

I didn't find the smell a problem at all (it's like pepermint) and I know some people reported a tingling sensation on application, which I didn't but then again my scalp is pretty pain resistant so not that sensitive to sensations I guess.

Overall - for me it is an excellent product that I would recommend to anyone who is after more fullness in their hair. Or anyone who is after a shampoo and conditioner that actually cleans your hair squeaky clean without drying it out. This is (for me) the best I have used to date.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2010 8:30:00 PM More reviews by gaspgirlox

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I only use the #4 cleanser, but I love it.
It REALLY deep cleans your hair. My hair is already thick but I use it to clarify, for the minty tingle, and to help my hair grow faster (hopefully).
But I have not found anything this clarifying before. Love it!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/22/2010 9:59:00 PM More reviews by biancaymark

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

made no difference on my thinning hair after months of use...