Redken Rough Clay ] [DISCONTINUED]

4.9

on 5/26/2011 6:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the BEST texturizer for short hair!!! Comes in a small container, but only takes a small amount and last forever. Went to purchase more today and this has been discontinued....so sad now on the search again for my HG texturizer AGAIN.....

on 1/28/2011 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have had this product for a long time but just can't seem to get through a container. It works great for texturizing when used right, but it is easy to overdo. And it has a really strong smell! It's not bad, but I can smell it in my hair all day, and it overwhelms my perfume. So I use it when it is really important that my hair look perfect, because even though I like how it works, I can't handle the smell all day. I just got Garnier Fructis Survivor putty, and while the hold isn't as good, I prefer the lighter weight and fragrance of the Garnier product. I wouldn't buy this again.

on 3/2/2010 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Quite possibly the best texturizer i have used ever...and i've vertually gone through every texturizing clay, putty, wax and pomade on the planet. Gives extreme hold which i need on my strong wavy hair. You can change your look as often as you like with this product, some days i go for a punky pieced out look, otherdays i can smooth it in to give me a separated matte look. Really love this product!

on 10/6/2009 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I use this product all the time! I have longer hair with lots of volume and this product is great! I use it for smoothing down fly aways, teasing, and for texture. It holds and smells great. I will definitely re-purchase when I run out!

on 8/20/2009 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this product.I have a piecy Pixie cut that I used to use Sebastian Xtah crude clay on, but I wasn't thrilled with how hard the product was to work with.This stuff is GREAT. Just a small amount rubbed in hands to warm up and messed wround in my 'do and I am out the door.It was well worth the search

on 6/14/2009 2:14:00 PM

I recently changed my hairstyle from a sleek bob to a short layered style and I have been trying to find some good products to give it texture. Having used some Redken styling products before and been pleased with them, I went for this one straight away and was not disappointed. On the Redken numbering system it's a 20 which indicates it's a product intended to give a good hold and is a strong product.

This is really good at giving texture to a short layered cut. I use it on dry hair. Just a smalll amount rubbed in the palms and then run fingers through the hair. I add a little more a bit at a time to get the right effect. I find it bettter to do it this way otherwise it's easy to use too much. Recently I tried a slightly different approach because my hair is fine and tends to go very flat. After washing I turn my head upside down and then, with the clay rubbed in my palms, I apply it close to the roots. Flip head over then style, adding a little more at a time. I do find this gives it a bit more body.

on 4/4/2009 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Redken has an easy to understand, goof-proof 'Hold Level' system. On every single one of their styling products is a big ol' number, ranging from 1 to 23. Starting at 1 (no hold/control) going up to 23 (maximum hold/control) you can pick and choose exactly what you want or need.

With that being said, Rough Clay (it is a 20) is phenomenal if you are looking for a strong holding, matte clay texturizer. IMO this is great on short hair, as well as long hair. I always use this in the summer to hold my side-swept bangs in place before I use hairspray. I also use it at my root to 'pat' down my little frizzies. It doesn't lose it's hold or texture no matter what I am doing and no matter how long I am doing it. The only thing I don't like about this is the matte finish. I would like it for shorter styles or even men, but on my long hair, not so much. Easy fix, though... I just use Pureology Glossing Mist after I'm all done. I like the girl under me; her comment about teasing with this. I am going to have to try that. Sounds like a great idea! Will repurchase. I think you get a LOT of product for little money. A little goes a long way with this one. Love it!!

PS DO NOT use this on wet or damp hair! Only use it as a finishing product.

on 3/9/2009 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a creamy wax that gives your hair grip. I use it at the roots to give my hair soft volume and texture. It dries matte, so doesn't make hair greasy, however, your hair will look dirty and a bit greasy if you use too much. I have also combined it in the palm of my hand with Thermal Setting Spray and it works nicely as well to give lift and hold. Best paste/wax I've found. All others I've tried left my hair greasy looking, but not this one when used properly (a little does it)!

on 8/22/2008 5:20:00 PM

L O V E this product. its a dry wax, so it doesnt look greasy or oily, just completely the matte look. it is good for teasing ur hair as well....i blow dry my hair put the product in it, wait a bit and then tease it for a nice perfect beehive look.

on 7/14/2008 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Now that I have shorter hair with layers, I like my hair to look piecey. Using this product definite does that. it gives my hair lots of texture and adds a slight amount of weight which my thick hair needs because it gets puffy real easily. i also love that this has a good amount of hold in it so i can separate the layers of my hair the way i want it to look and it will actually mold into place.

Popular Styling Products