August 1, 2014 | 1678 users online

Sunscreen - Kanebo - Allie Comfortable Sunscree EX (Perfect)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2013 1:53:00 AM More reviews by wagashi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I believe this is called "Perfect Alpha" now. This is my current favorite SS! I had previously not paid much attention to the Allie line, preferring to use Biore and Shiseido Anessa instead, but once the PA++++ rating came out I think this was the first one to put it on their packaging so of course I immediately ordered some. The price is comparable to the Shiseido Anessa full sizes. This one is supposed to be the strongest sun protection, but also the most water/sweat resistant and therefore the best for oily skin of the line. I'm pretty oily, and when I use the Mineral Moist from the same line, I get a good amount of oil breakthrough during the day. This isn't as dry as Biore Perfect Face milk, and that might be a good or bad thing, depending on who you are! I have recently started seeing some fine lines around my mouth (sad face) and the Biore Perfect Face milk can accentuate that, while this sunscreen has just enough moisture that any lines don't look noticeable, but I also don't turn into an oily mess throughout the day. I also have to say that I like this product a ton more than the Anessa gold bottle, which used to be a favorite of mine. I think this is much superior, since it's got a bit less silicone and more slip. The Anessa gold bottle stays great throughout the day and has great protection, but I find that if I don't meticulously blot any areas that have even the tiniest bit of streaking or extra before it dries, it will then be streak city all day once I apply my powder foundation (this probably isn't as much of an issue with liquid foundation, to be fair). But this product allows me to get great protection without drying me out, and also is very forgiving when I don't pat away every excess molecule in it. This is why it's become my go-to daily SS, and I'll be repurchasing forever and ever until I find an even more forgiving one.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/13/2008 8:12:00 PM More reviews by kissmark

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

EDITED: I downgraded this to 2 lippies. I find that it irritates my eyes if I use it around my eyes. Burns and makes me tear up. Will not repurchase.
***************************************************************************
This sunscreen from Kanebo is in the same price range as Shiseido's Anessa and Kao's Sofina, maybe a couple of bucks cheaper than the other two. Allie was reformulated in 2008 with 3 different versions: Perfect, Watertouch, Whitening. This review is for Perfect, which is supposed to be the strongest of the 3. Compare to Sofina and Anessa, which feel like milk, the texture of this is similar to a mixture of milk + serum. I've used this for 3 weeks and feel that it's too moisturizing for the hot and humid Japan summer. I prefer the finish of Sofina over this one. Sofina is more mattifying and does a better job in evening out my skintone. This summer I tried 3 different new susncreens: Shiseido Anessa 2008 reformulated in Gold bottle with Tinosorb S, Allie, and Mentholatum Skin Aqua Moisture Milk, all spf50/pa+++. Here is how I would rank them:

Mentholatum: most moisturizing of the 4, texture is more serum like than milk. Too heavy for me to use in summer time and gave me some whiteheads. Will try again in winter time. (this is also cheaper than the other three)

Allie: 2nd most moisturizing of the 4, texture is a combination of serum + milk. A good choice for those who find Sofina and Anessa too drying, but might be heavy for very oily skin to use in summer. I will use it in winter

Sofina: best finish of the 4, mattifying, smooths out my pores, and evens out my skintone. Texture is milky. This is my HG in summer time, but too dry for me to use in winter

Anessa: the most mattifying of the 4. Texture is milky. This one feels like a coat of paint on my skin since it's very water/sweat resistant, and is hard to remove. But the protection is excellent and it's good for outdoor sports, because it's so tenacious. Probably not good for daily use.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No