April 20, 2014 | 928 users online

Lip Gloss - NARS - Lip Lacquer in Chastity

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2013 10:16:00 PM More reviews by plumblush

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Has NARS discontinued this? They may have. But, I like this product a lot, so I thought I would leave a review just in case. These lip lacquers feel gross when you first put them on your lips. They are thick and goopy, and it comes in a little pot, so you have the choice of gumming up your fingers or using a lip brush. In addition to that, they smell vile. If you have used Turkish Delight, just imagine the peculiar plasticky smell that gloss exudes. But, honestly, the look of this stuff makes the other peculiarities of its odor and texture unimportant. When you look at it in the jar, it is a disco ball sort of lavender. But, if you have pigmented lips like I do, then you know that products with a bit of a gray tinge are just the ticket for toning down your lip color to a nice pearly pink. This lacquer does just that. The most similar lip product to this I can think of is another of my favorite glosses, Harlow, also by NARS. I like to layer this over Oh Lilac, a Maybelline lip balm.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2010 9:00:00 PM More reviews by cainca

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I hate the packaging. It comes in a pot and I don't like lip stuff that comes in pots b/c it forces me to use a lip brush since I hate putting my fingers in the pot and this pot is too small for that anyway. So it makes it next to impossible for me to carry this arund as I dont want to carry abrush with me. But I love this color - a lot. It is a sheer pearly lavender/pinkish gloss. Also, surprisingly this lacquer has great staying power considering how sheer it is. I mean it stays on FOREVER. Some people here are bother by the smell (plastic-y?) but I wasnt. I bought this in 2005 and I just finished it today so the fact that I used it all up means good things. That said I will not repurchase as the packaging annoys me. Great color though and love the staying power.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2008 3:49:00 PM More reviews by ml176

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a fun shade because it looks so mauve in the pot, but really it just shows up quite sheer on me. I enjoy the shine, and that barely there icy mauve that is hardly detectable. Chastity just gives my lips a shiny polished look. These lacquers are my favorite because of the way they feel on my lips and the color selection. I am using the Chastity that is in my NARS palette, not in the pot, so it does make me wonder if that changes the color at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2007 1:05:00 AM More reviews by miaaaaa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great lipgloss, or as it is more accurately titled, "lacquer". I personally love the consistency of NARS lip glosses. People have been complaining about the thickness and stickiness of the gloss, but to me that's the appeal of this. It lasts a lot longer and somehow looks much better than most other glosses. It has the perfect amount of shininess (not extremely shiny, but a nice dewy, moist and healthy look) and makes my lips look fuller. The color is very very unique and suits my lip and skin tone perfectly (fair/medium neutral yellow based skin, no tan, medium pigmented lips). It is a sheer, delicate lilac with pink tones. It has a gorgeous fine shimmer that makes it appear multi-dimensional. It also really improves the overall color of my complexion because it's so flattering. Chastity gives me a fresh, young look, but the soft lilac color makes it very sexy and different from your typical lipgloss. I highly recommend giving this a try.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2007 3:10:00 PM More reviews by AimeeO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Why do I continue to keep purchasing NARS lip lacquers? I started w/ Cabiria, which was too orange, and then got Eros, which was too bright for me. The smell & taste is like melted plastic, and it is STRONG. The lacquer is very sticky and thick. However, it doesn't look plastic-y or superthick on lips. It spreads very nicely and leaves a thin layer on lips.
Chastity is a very cool lavender pink. The NARS site describes it as mauve, but I don't see mauve at all. It looks almost purple to me. It goes on my fairly pigmented lips as an icy cool pink.
The reason I won't repurchase is that the taste/smell is just nasty. Also, the colors, while GORGEOUS, don't transfer that way on my lips. They show up much sheerer.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/20/2006 10:33:00 PM More reviews by hothippiechick

looked great in the pot, light, silvery lilac color. but when i put it on.....ugh. smelled bad. tasted bad. looks great on, but the smell/taste thing ruined it for me. will not buy again :o(

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2006 8:19:00 PM More reviews by Lippyloo

I got this as a gift; it came with another Lip Lacquer (Baby Doll) and a lipbrush. I love the minimalist NARS packaging, but this product is a dud for me. It's a very cool silvery pale mauve that just doesn't work for this yellow-toned PPP. It seems to suck color from my face instead of adding to it. I think this just doesn't work on warm skin tones. Some deeper mauves do, espcially if they have a touch of brown, but this is just pale, frosty, and makes me look dead. Plus, the NARS lacquers all smell like wet sheep. I gave it two lippies because it is a very thick and long lasting gloss.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2006 2:10:00 PM More reviews by blyss

I've tried a few lacquers and we all know the concern of the pot gloss and scent. This one has those concerns but the colour truely shines through to overshadow those issues.

This is a complex colour cause what it looks like, what the Nars description is, and it looks like me are 3 different things. The description is a simple shimmery mauve. In the pot, it looks like neutral and hint of pink. It's far from the truth on me. On my NC30 skintone with medium pigmented pink lips, it's a nude with a mauve/bronze undertone. It's seriously pretty... shimmery, long lasting, and super shiny. This is a very nice gloss that compliments a lot of skintones. Though it is a gloss, pigmentation is very nice and stays on the lips for a while too. Definitely recommend this to try out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2005 4:22:00 PM More reviews by ashleybabes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is actually really pretty on. The picture on beauty.com looked kind of scary and too purplish. In real life, Chastity in the pot looks kind of nudish with a hint of mauve. When applied this looks really natural and nude-mauve with just a hint of shimmer. I was rather impressed with this Lip Lacquer. I would rebuy this one if I ever use it up!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2005 11:43:00 PM More reviews by trempot

Am still on the fence regarding this lip lacquer. This is a pretty pearly champagne color which turns into a nude shade on my lips. However, I feel it isn't very versatile with my current color collection. Also, it makes my plump lips look bigger. I prefer brown toned colors over pearly ones.