October 2, 2014 | 1838 users online

Moisturizers - Rodin - Olio Lusso

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 7:28:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

First off, I wouldn't recommend even trying this if you're not a jasmine fan. I've never been fond of jasmine, particularly in perfumes, so I assumed that this would bother me but I actually love the scent. It's a green tinged jasmine that mixes with the other aromatic oils in here and just smells soothing and fresh. I don't find it overpowering, though it lingers for about an hour. I'm a die hard anti-fragrance in skin care type of person (even natural botanicals can irritate me) so I was extremely hesitant to give this a shot. But it's made a huge difference in my skin and I love it.

I don't write many reviews for skin care simply because my skin's so sensitive that once I find something that works I stick to it, and I rarely ever try any new products out. I'm so sensitive that just smelling certain scented candles can sometimes give me hives. So I approach skincare cautiously. Luckily other than being sensitive my skin's pretty good. I'm religious with sunscreen so I don't have dark spots, no fine lines yet, and it's fairly even in tone and texture. I have some slight redness around my nose from perpetual allergies, but no acne or other big concerns. I fall in the normal range, sometimes dry in areas, sometimes more combination.

I was interested in this because I've been wanting to add another step to my very basic skin care routine that would hopefully add more moisture and some brightening effects without aggravating my skin. I hate thick creams and heavy products, artificial fragrance, and anything greasy. I've tried oils before and didn't have success with them... Clarins Lotus, which irritated my skin; Josie Maran Argan Oil, which always felt like it left a film on my face that didn't completely sink in; Josie Maran Argan Milk, which did absolutely nothing. But this is amazing stuff.

This sinks in completely and quickly, feels silky, thin, light, and works so well under makeup. It feels nourishing and I saw results within the first couple of weeks. My skin looked more even and healthy, and the annoying little dry patches disappeared completely. Two months later, my skin looks like it has a bit of a glow. I dispense two small drops on my fingers, then pat onto my slightly damp clean face, including my eye area. I follow with my moisturizer and sunscreen (for daytime) and I'm set. I don't feel like I'm wearing a greasy oil at all, and it doesn't leave a residue. I also use two drops on my neck and décolletage area.

The glass bottle is minimalistic and functional with an easy to use dropper style dispenser. It's 1 fl. oz. (30mL) for $150.00. Expensive but considering how well it works I consider it well worth the price. Maybe even more so considering how few products I've found that don't cause issues with my skin, and how few products I actually use on a daily basis.

Ingredients: Jasmin Officinale (Jasmine) Oil, Prunus Amygalus Dulcis (Almond) Oil, Simmondsia Chinesis (jojoba) Oil, Oenothera Biennis (evening Primrose) Oil, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Calendula Offincinalis Flower Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (orange) Flower Oil, Helianthus Annuus (sunflower) Seed Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Benzyl Benzoate, Linalool.

I'm happy to see actual results rather than just some additional moisture. For me, this really lives up to the hype. I honestly am surprised at the difference this has made in my skin. I'll update when I go through my bottle so I know how often I'll have to repurchase. But I know that I'll absolutely be keeping this in my routine.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2013 6:11:00 PM More reviews by Makeup_Obsessed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using a luxury size sample almost exclusively for over a week. I was dubious of any therapeutic value that the product might offer and was more attracted to the smell and "luxury" of the product. I have been proven wrong. My skin looks even and any breakouts have disappeared. It sinks in very quickly and leaves your skin feeling soft. It has a very strong jasmine fragrance, but I love the fragrance so its fine by me. For the reviews that say it is a very expensive product, I agree. However, for anyone who has any bought essential oils, they will know they they are expensive. Jasmine is particularly pricey and given that it is the first ingredient on the label, the cost is justified. The luxury body oil is also very good, but I will stick to this product for my face just as the jasmine content is higher and is likely the reason why the result is so good.

EDIT: I have gone on to buy a full size bottle of this. I still think very highly of this product. Compared with most other face oils, I am so happy that it sinks in and doesn't sit on top of the skin like an oil slick. This makes it possible to wear makeup on top and wear during the day, this isn't possible with most of the other oils.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2013 12:00:00 PM More reviews by kmichael

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I hate that I love this stuff. It's got everything I should dislike - "unnecessary" botanicals, fragrance, a dropper, a ridiculous price tag, I use it up quickly - but boy, do I slather it on my face like there's no tomorrow.

It sinks in instantly and, since I'm used to thicker, less-refined oil blends for my dry skin, I thought that meant I had to add more until I got the usual grease layer I'm used to. Not so! My skin just drinks it up and it never gets gooey. I can now place my face directly on the pillow if I'm applying before bed! What is this witchcraft?!

It's not heavy enough to use as a night cream on its own for me in winter, but in the summer, it's perfection. As a day moisturizer, I love it in all seasons. It sinks in so fast that I don't have to wait long to apply my sunscreen/primer/whatever.

The best part, frankly, is the smell. I can't say I've noticed any super-intense brightening effects, but I don't care because it smells like a freakin' wonderful New Orleans summertime (sans trash smell). Even though my skin is sensitive, I'm a sucker for scents and this is often disastrous. Finally, a product that smells good and doesn't break me out in hives! I know it's unnecessary and I'm paying out the arse for potential irritants but dammit, it's delicious. It costs as much as a bottle of perfume, anyway. Sigh.

I know this is a product that anyone could DIY-ify, but I hate to DIY (DIM?). I'll just continue to buy it and grumble about the price until someone makes a reasonable dupe, I guess. Frankly, it's probably making my skin feel better because all my soda/cocktail/junk food money now goes into replenishing this stuff. :P Oh, well.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2013 8:58:00 AM More reviews by Andee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Updated Review 10/31/13: Changed my mid a bit. I have since repurchased after trying Clarins Santal face oil. This is so much more moisturizing. Still hate the fragrance, but, on 2nd thought this is really great for lazy moi at bedtime. No cleaning the CdLM scoop and warming in my hands. This spreads evenly and I wake up with plumped, moist skin.

Original Review from 9/29/13:
This is a good moisturizer for me in the evening and in the morning if I am extremely dry. I hate the smell. I'm a long time Crème de La Mer original formula lotion and I did not find it any better at moisturizing my skin, plus CdLM works very nicely as a makeup base, negating the need for a primer, which this oil doesn't do. This is the second face oil I've tried, the other is Darphin 8Flower Nectar. Both moisturize, but don't seem to do any more for me than CdLM, so in the interest of simplicity, for now, no more oils.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 1:33:00 PM More reviews by janet1028

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I gotta say that I love this stuff. (You really have to like the scent of jasmine and neroli, though!) And here's why: The oil blend is pretty perfect. Yes, you can put any of the skin oils on your face and get the same benefits but if you don't know your oils you will end up with a greasy mess. I formulate my own products (no plug here!) and I still like this product!

If you use any gycolic/salicylic products, you'll really like this because you can hide the peeling that you get when you use them. And believe me, nothing hides the peeling of a salicylic acid treatment!

Yes, it is obscenely expensive. Trust me when I tell you that buying the jasmine and neroli oils are probably half the cost to make it! And the bottle is...pretty but awful. It would do much better in a amber glass pump bottle but that would take away from the whole "chic" factor.

Actually I don't care much about that. I just like a clean and simple product that softens my skin without the addition of emulsifiers and waxes.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/12/2013 12:28:00 AM More reviews by lambiedewie

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Omg, the smell. I just opened the bottle, used the oil on my hands and neck because I was afraid of the strong scent, and now have to wash it off completely. Feel like an idiot because I didn't pay attention to the strong scent issue when I researched this.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2013 4:13:00 PM More reviews by nikrou

The jury is still out on this one, gals. I don't know, I'm a little bit on the fence with this product. It does moisturize very well and smells divine (when I read reviews I was afraid I would be the few that learned they did not like the smell of Jasmine). But that's about it all it does. I get that this is a luxurious oil but I still cannot justify the $150 price tag. Do I regret buying it? Absolutely not. I wanted to purchase this oil to see how it worked and get my own take on it -- and now I do. I can finally sleep at night knowing that this oil really isn't all that cracked up to be lol. It's a great moisturizer but honestly, coconut oil or any other oil for the face could do just the same. Actually, to be honest, I started using Rodin Olio Lusso for about a week before I found myself going back to using Coconut Oil for a bit. Now yes, I am back to using the Olio Lusso, but like I said - it's no miracle oil. I think the packaging is a huge blocker -- you think that this pretty little bottle is going to hold holy water when in all honesty, the bottle could hold just water and it would make water look HG. I personally believe that if this bottle were to look any less extravagant that people would not feel so luxurious. But again, this is my opinion, my review. I find myself looking at the bottle and reaching for it more so of how pretty it looks. The jasmine does smell divine...but are we really paying $150 to make our faces smell nice? I just don't know about that...

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2013 11:42:00 AM More reviews by joypvb

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been using this product for three years. It is worth every cent. I use it twice a day and three times a day if I workout. In the morning I just splash warm water on my face and apply the oil. It takes about 3 drops for me.

I am 60 years old and get raves on my skin. I live in a beach community on Florida's east coast, I have very sensitive skin and this has never irritated it. I use this exclusively for a moisturizer. Occasionally, when I remember it, I use Renova (probably only 3 times a month or so).

To remove my makeup I use pure jojoba oil massaged in and then just was my face with a very mild soap for sensitive skin (L'Occtane Shea Butter Ultra Rich Face Soap). Then I apply Ollio Russo. I use an eye cream around my eyes (Clinique All About Eyes). That is my routine and I have very few wrinkles, little redness and only a few brown spots which I lighten occasionally with different products.

I would highly recommend this product and plan to use it for a long time. I recently bought the body oil and also the hair oil and have been equally impressed with them.

Hope you will give it a go!

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2013 11:01:00 PM More reviews by sbender

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is really nothing special for that price. Actually, it is a joke. I do not know what happened in my head that I purchased this face oil. It does nothing to my skin. It is not even moisturizing as it claims. The transparent bottle only looks nice, but it actually is a joke since oils have to be stored in a nontransparent bottle. Do yourself a favor, and make your own oil blend in a proper drop bottle.

8 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2012 12:14:00 AM More reviews by respectedmemberofmua

Skintype- Dry, slightly combo, breakout prone
Skincare concerns: Uneven skin, some breakouts, dryness, antiaging

I am a complete skincare junkie. In my country (Korea) women put on very minimal, dewy looking natural makeup and are much focused on skincare, always striving to achieve the perfect complexion. There is literally a facialist and derm on every other block in Seoul! So even coming to America I am always on the quest for amazing HG skincare and don't really hesitate on the price tag as long as it works (and pricey this oil is)

I naturally have very dry, breakout prone skin but my obsession with skincare has made my skin quite nice and I hardly wear makeup anymore except for a bit of concealer around my nose where I get a bit of redness. I have a plethora of ahas, vitamin c serums, peels, and other actives that I use on a regular basis but to balance that one needs to have the rest of the skincare be very natural/simple in order for the actives to remain effective and to soothe the skin so it doesn't become over processed. Therefore, my cleansing oils, face wash, and basic moisturizers are usually natural with minimal ingredients and I throw actives into the mix.

I got a bottle of the Rodin oil at a huge charity gala gift bag and did extensive research on it when I went home. It's strange, my skin usually results in cystic acne with jojoba oil which it has in its ingredients and so I used it very hesitantly but I awoke in the morning with healthy looking, glowing skin and this was after a night of quite a bit of drinking which usually results in my skin looking grey and parched. I kept using it every single night and it evened out my skin, has done a great job of moisturizing, and truly leaves the skin with a healthy, slightly luminous glow,

I give this a five not because it is a miracle worker but because it fulfills what it is said to do to the max. The website doesn't make any claims except that it will leave one's skin "moisturized with a luminous glow" It is the perfect moisturizer for me and my skin loves it. It seems like it has helped even out my skintone and resulted in a truly luminous complexion (me starting up exercise and a clean diet may have helped that along too) I personally love the smell (smells like a slightly pungent essential oil" and it lulls me to sleep but those who are sensitive to scent may want to sniff before purchasing as it is a very distinct smell.

I am now on my third bottle and I absolutely love it!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No