April 24, 2014 | 1886 users online

Eyeliner - L'Oreal - Bare Naturale Gentle Mineral Eyeliner

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2014 6:05:00 PM More reviews by liplickity

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I rated this 5 Stars via Lipsticks.This is the " Only " Eyeliner and I emphasize that because It does not irritate my eyes. So many liners have irritated my eyes that I cant keep count. I have tried liners from every boutique, shop, catalogs and Bare Natural By L'Oreal Eyeliner in Defining Onyx is super black and non irritating. There is the Cons and that is the Packaging and The bulky complicated slanted Brush, however there is a fix for that. A MAC 210 brush or brush like or thinner then the 210 does the Job fabulously. I always make sure my eyelids are primed. After I prime my lids I dip my brush into the non irritating black powder and I line my eyes. For a more intense look I add water or non irritating gel. I highly recommend this liner for those eyes that become irritated from liners. This is a fabulous eyeliner. I have searched for awhile and found it. This does not mean I wont try other liners but this is my A List regular liner and staple at the moment.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2012 9:01:00 PM More reviews by Dlou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Long ago, in a more civilized world, Lancome made a powder eyeliner in a pencil with two sides. It was called Stylo Ombre Duo; you could pick one color for each side of the pencil. The powder went on rich and smoky, and it stayed on well. It gave a really smoky bohemian sophisticated look--I ADORED it. Made my eyes look huge. Then it was discontinued. And the angels wept. Or maybe just me.
Today I bought 2 of these Loreal eyeliners, and they are the closest I've been able to come to my beloved ombre stylos. The bronze is a dark brown, the cocoa an even darker brown. The packaging sucks, but application is ok if you are very careful to tap the powder off the brush and do NOT throw out the little white stopper to the container. If you do, this stuff goes everywhere. The effect again is smoky, boho, cool as hell. It stays on as well as the Lancome (which wasn't super long lasting but decent enough). Bummed this has now been discontinued, but at least I have something good again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2011 9:40:00 PM More reviews by angelinuh

This product is hard to use because the packaging is terrible. The brush is great, but it's hard to see how much you have on the slanted brush. If you have too much on the brush, then it will get on your face and in your eyes. It is absolutely necessary that you use some sort of liquid sealer with this product, as it has a lot of potential for falling, rubbing, etc. However, despite the massive drawbacks I love the color, it makes my eyes look amazing, and the brush is awesome. I just shouldn't have to have a multi-step, bracing process for applying powdered eyeliner. Life is hard enough.

EDIT: The color I use is "defining olive" and I have hazel eyes - my eyes are wide and almond shaped.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/19/2011 11:52:00 PM More reviews by KiwiPi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I thought this eyeliner would be great when I bought it...I like a lot of the other Gentle Mineral products from L'Oreal...and I figured that since it was a powder, I could easily smudge it up for a quick smoky eye, going from intense black to a soft blur with one product. Not so. It might technically be possible, but this product is SOOOOO MESSY that I've stopped even trying to use it for anything at all. You open the sifter and there's black everywhere - on your hands, your clothes, your sink...and naturally, no matter how much you tap off the brush - whether you use the one provided or a different one - it falls all over your face. I am REALLY experienced with eyeliner - I've been doing a cat eye or smokey eye nearly every day for the last eighteen years - and I can't make this work. It's unfortunate, because the pigment is a nice, rich black...that much, I'll give it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2011 12:50:00 PM More reviews by DollParts7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Too messy. The brush was too soft and flimsy, and because it was attached to the cap, it was hard to move. The cap was too wide, and the brush was too small. You couldn't sweep the eyeliner on, and had to pat it, or you'd get fallout ALL over your face, and you'd look like you were just digging for coal.

Dark, and black, but it could be much blacker. I'd only use it to set very runny or smudgy eyeliner pencils, or as a black shadow.

Sadly, it's just too loose. If it came wet, or as a liquid, perhaps in a pressed pan with a separate brush, it would be MUCH better. Cake eyeliner anyone? But, it went a different route, and ended up being a disappointment. It did have potential though.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2011 1:36:00 AM More reviews by brittanybert

It works pretty goood, i love my eyeliner to be dark and stay on for a while and this does the job. Only downfall to this is that it is powder so it can get a little messy putting it on but over all its a buy (:

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2011 11:08:00 AM More reviews by Lyndyn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Discontinued product.

I found this for buck at Big Lots and decided to give it a try. It is very unlikely that I would have tried it at its original (about 9.00) price, but for dollar, I was willing to give it a shot. Having tried it and fallen head over heels, I now WOULD pop for the nine bucks - ironic since it has been discontinued.

I have been using it for a couple of weeks and these are my impressions.

Note: I have not tried this applied with a wet brush, only dry.

I like this product very much. The container is compact and well designed with a fantastic built-in applicator brush. It gives a nice soft shadowy line when used as a liner and can also double as a shadow.

The brush is stiff and angled. It is proportionally rather large compared to the eye and if you have a smaller eyelid area, you may want to try using a smaller, finer brush. It works fine for mine, but I do have fairly large eyes. =o)

Tips for use:

If you have very oily eyelid skin (as I do,) prepping the skin with a mattifying product (foundation or something like Avon's MagiX Face Perfector) will make this last longer.

Since this is a loose powder, it could get messy if you aren't paying attention. Opening the container over the sink and not putting on that white silk blouse before you apply it are good ideas. :)

Take the cover off the brush first and then unscrew the brush top from the powder section. Be cautious when opening because if the container has been jostled (as would happen if carried in a purse, luggage - or the first time you open it after purchase) excess powder may have come through the sifter top. (One way you can prevent this from happening is to put a tiny piece of tape over some of the holes.)

DO NOT press and swirl as you do with mineral foundation - this will put too much product on the brush and make application messy.

In order to get a neat line - and not end up with flecks of the product on your cheeks, press the angled head of the brush flat into the powder. Tap the applicator against the side of the bottle and use the sides of the container to scrape each side of the brush to remove excess powder. You want the brush to have only product that is meant for the line of the lashes.

I start at the outside of the eyelid and gently press the brush against the edge of the lash line. Press it into the skin so that the pigments get a good adherence. As with other powder products, less is more - you can build up to the intensity of color that you prefer.

For lower lashes, it is even more important that you start out with a very "dry" brush so as to not get too much product and have a messy line.

A little practice on the back of your hand (or in my case, my bare leg) will quickly bring you up to speed on application.

Colors:

From what I can tell, this was produced in five shades:

Defining Olive #303
Defining Cocoa #807
Defining Bronze #809
Defining Onyx #903
Defining Slate #905

I have Defining Cocoa and Defining Bronze. Both have the mineral shimmer that one would expect. It is subtle when used as a liner, more pronounced when smudged up the eyelid to use as shadow. Both are a deep brown. Bronze has a warmer tone with a bronze shimmer, while Cocoa has a cooler, gunmetal shimmer.

Conclusion:

With the popularity of mineral based foundations, companies began to jump on the band wagon and look for other ways to capitalize on this trend. I believe that this product was a result of exactly that. I find it very easy to believe that users got disappointing results from this product - there is a def. learning curve for a successful application compared to a pencil, but I mastered it pretty quickly - something I have not been able to do with liquid liner. :)

So, why use it instead of pencil or a liquid liner? This is not a super long lasting, waterproof product and expecting it to behave like one will lead to frustration. What it does offer is a completely different effect - soft, smoky and deep. The colors that I have tried (Defining Bronze and Defining Cocoa, see notes below) are gorgeous. It makes a lovely, sexy evening eye when built up to the higher end of the intensity spectrum, but also works for day when applied with a lighter hand.

I really love this product and am going to stock pile a few for future use.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2011 6:58:00 PM More reviews by makeupnoobie143

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this product in 'defining cocoa' and I LOVE the color! I like to use it as an eyeshadow but if i don't use a good base it will crease on me, but then again practically everything does :(

I took two lippies off because the packaging is too messy and I definitely would not recommend using this in the morning when you are in a rush.
Also, I wish this product was pressed it would be much more convenient and clean! Overall a good product but theres stuff much better out there

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2010 7:59:00 PM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like how dark this stuff is. I got the black color. However it's just too messy. To make this work I layer it over black pencil, using a little bit at a time. If they pressed it, I could probably use this every day.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2010 9:11:00 PM More reviews by jpxstarz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is very messy to use. Once I apply on my upper lid, the mineral falls all over my face. In addition, it smudge. This product is very pigmented.