September 22, 2014 | 1004 users online

Top/Base Coats - Zoya - Anchor

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2013 2:16:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I like both Armor and Acnhor - Anchor is a great base coat and Armor is an OK (not a HG) top coat. I prefer Seche Vite as a topper - but that can get "gloopy".

Anchor is a very good base coat in that it hels my manicure last longer, applies nice and thin (and smoothly without bubbling) and the brush is a good width,
I's a fan of Zoya in general.

No issues for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2013 10:55:00 AM More reviews by leh529

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've just recently discovered zoya polishes and have been slowly replacing my collection. Since I am in graduate school for my field we aren't allowed to wear colored polishes during certain times so I made sure I got this clear base coat. I think it works wonderfully by itself to give nails shine and is a good base coat for color. I love that it doesn't have harmful chemicals. Since switching to zoya & taking calcium pills my nails are much stronger, longer, & healthier. I will continue to buy this line of nail polishes!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2013 12:54:00 PM More reviews by gna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I didn't like this base coat. Polish takes longer to dry when wearing it. Anchor also dried out my nails and was not easy to remove. The base extends the wear of certain polishes for a day or two, but not significantly. One good quality is that it did not yellow my nails.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2013 11:28:00 PM More reviews by nailaholic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i really love this base coat, never had issues with bubbles at all. protects my nail well, they no longer break nor feel brittle. best when paired with zoya's armor. let this base dry before putting nail polish to prevent bubbles.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2011 11:48:00 AM More reviews by hooplehead

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Nothing but bubbles, regardless of the fact that I don't shake my polishes. Every manicure is the same. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2011 8:53:00 PM More reviews by adudle00

I really like this basecoat. I use this interchangeably with Zoya's other basecoat, Get Even (Which I also love!). No, this won't fill in your ridges, but it also doesn't claim to. This applies very nicely and helps to make my polish last a bit longer. Will definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2010 7:40:00 PM More reviews by dancer156

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I purchased this after my OPI nail envy ran out. I didn't like that OPI used formaldehyde in the majority of their polishes, so I decided to try Zoya (formaldehyde-free!) after reading good reviews on the product.
I really like this Anchor Base Coat-- I actually use it by itself! I apply 2 coats on my nails (waiting for each coat to dry in between). It makes my nails more firm, shiny, and lasts over a week (with constant hand washing/sanitizer use!) I have a ton of Zoya's colored polishes that I use on my toe nails, and those last a long time too (even without a top coat)! My favorite color is Paige (beautiful purple-pink). :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2010 4:12:00 AM More reviews by StarbrightSparkles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Anchor is my absolute favourite base coat as it strengthens my nails quickly and helps guard them against breaks.

Anchor does go on quite thick but I find it does thin down a little. Not so much as to show my ridges though.

It also manages to stay at the same consistancy the whole way from start of a brand new bottle to having to tip my bottle all sorts of directions to get the last bits out.

I will be buying again, and I already have :D

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2008 12:39:00 AM More reviews by violetcobra

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

At the moment, I'm not feeling very comfortable with this product so I won't be buying it again. However, it could work, I just don't know how to make it work.

The box's directions are clear and short: Clean nail thoroughly. Apply one coat of Zoya Anchor followed by polish and one coat of Zoya ar mor. That's it! But elsewhere on the box Zoya touts Anchor's UV blocking, anti-yellowing, and glossy and flexible. Also, the website Zoya pushes Anchor as a part of the Color Lock System (it's Step 2), it's a "revolutionary polymer" that forms a "tight bond . . . preventing chipping and peeling, while strengthening the nail with complex protein chains." Sounds scientific enough but I am left with confusion as to how to apply it.

APPLICATION: I think Anchor is like CND Stickey. It applies thick and shiny but it dries to a thinner coat and ridges are definitely NOT filled in by Anchor. It seems to be the type of basecoat that somehow acts like glue that grabs the polish and grabs your nail and it just hangs on like mad. But this function doesn't necessarily make it smooth to apply. Of the Zoya colors I've tried, 2 of 3 Zoya colors bubbled. (I mean the color, not the topcoat.) The Zoya colors were very thick compared to the older OPI formula I used, and I had ok (but not fantastic) results with the OPI as far as application.

I painted my free edge a la french manicure (in two swipes from each side of the free edge to the center) then I painted the traditional 3 stripes on the nail plate and I did let this dry. Bubbles! Next time I still painted a la french the free edge but I glooped the Anchor, which applied very glossy and smooth without bubbles, and I let this dry. Bubbles! Do I use thinner coats? Was I wrong to use the french tip (I was attempting to protect my nails from further peels between the layers), did I use too little of the recommended Zoya Remove+ or too little, should I have not dried the Anchor, etc. etc? I'd love to know what I did wrong.

WEAR: So I have used Anchor 6 or 7 times total and have had ugly bubbles in my nail polish (both the lifted bumpy kind and the pinpoint kind) 4 or 5 times. However, warts and all, Armor does pretty much wear like mad. To such extent, I actually wore the lovely Zoya Whitney, ugly raised hive-like bubbles and all, for over a week, with little tip wear (and two peels that were no fault of the Anchor).

I think it works to connect nail and color but I'm still not sure I need to be getting bubbles in my mani but I'll keep on trying this stuff until maybe I see how to apply it with no bubbles. Maybe I'll break down and just call the help line since trained professionals may actually care to assist me, this does sometimes happen. continued >>