July 26, 2014 | 1915 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Feria Hair Color in Espresso (Deeply Brown)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2014 11:51:00 PM More reviews by BrunetteinBranson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have naturally dark brown hair with warm tint to it. I started going grey in high school. I used Loreal Superior Preference Dark Soft Mahogany Brown. Though I love the color and I got lots of compliments. It is a bit darker than my natural color and I wanted to go. 2 years ago, I got a make over and went red. I loved it, too. But, I got bored and tired of having to refresh it every couple of weeks. I asked my stylist for recommendations on at home color and she suggested a natural shade. I looked in the Loreal Preference line because as I said, I have a little grey. Well, all the colors looked too dark or too light. So, I looked online for reviews on good colors that also cover grey and Loreal Feria Espresso had rave reviews and everything I was looking for. I tried it. I LOVE IT!! It's the first time I've ever gotten the same results as the box! It looks almost exactly like my natural color, too!! It covered the grey pretty well even though Feria is not intended to cover grey, this shade does. The after conditioner is wonderful. It's a bit messy so make sure you have everything covered and some color remover pads for your skin. Other than that, this shade is wonderful. It's not too dark that it's black but it's not too light that the red shows through a lot. It's a very nice chocolate brown shade with definition.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2013 6:15:00 PM More reviews by luissa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have to admit I read the reviews and was totally frightened to try this product. However, I had already bought the boxes and so I took a chance. My hair was highlighted with light brown streaks in medium brown hair. The end result is beautiful. My highlights are covered and it got the little bit of grey hair I had on my roots. I started putting the hair dye on my mid section down and put my roots last. Maybe that's why I didn't end up with "hot roots." My hair feels healthier than it did before I even dyed it. I am in love with the color, it is not too dark and it does have highlights through out. This is my forever dye to go to. I will UPDATE if results change dramatically. Happy Hair Dyeing!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by memorgan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

Horrible!!! I tried this even after reading other reviewer's "hot roots" comment, something I was really afraid of getting. I have dark brown hair with probably 50% gray mixed in. Been coloring since early 20s (I'm 47). I never imaging the lovely rich dark brown color on the box would turn my roots orange!!! It did. I had to recolor with clairol to fix my roots.
This product may work well on someone with little or no gray. Beware if you have gray. What a mess.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2012 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Msgdfx1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used this product today. It didn't wreck and ravage my hair, fortunately. But, I developed hot roots. I have been using Ion Colors in lt, med, and dark brown. The colors are so true and beautiful in the Ion Line and I never have this problem. But, back to Feria. I decided to use this as it was at a special price. Well, the color on the length is ok, but, I hate the orangery roots. Will not purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2012 1:57:00 AM More reviews by rcrystal

Feria said it was multidimensional and all in one step. So, to start off, it was only $8 for a good amount of product (the conditioner tube in my opinion is large compared to others.) It is not ammonia free but it didnt smell bad. It was quite pleasant actually. I didnt use anything but what came in the box and left it on for the 25 minutes. When I rinsed a lot of it came out but to my extreme surprise, it is absolutely beautiful! A true shimmery, glossy, silky, rich, dark golden brown. My hair was virgin hair and its still even softer, glossier, and more healthy looking than before. I dont see any red, any dull, flat, or brassy color. Also, it didnt burn my scalp or make it itch or anything like that. The process was very comfortable. Best results I could ever wish for! But be careful, your hair WILL be the color match on the back of the box!
***UPDATE***
So, my hair got really light. Its no longer dark brown. Its this light golden/orangy color. Its pretty though. I love it, my bf loves it, and its still shimmery. And no damage. :D

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2012 4:33:00 PM More reviews by NoirCitydame

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Thanks to all for the reviews. I gave the product a try and it looks great. Like most brunettes on this board, I've tried all the dark browns - Preference 4, Perfect 10 #4, most recently Nice & Easy 129G, but they the two former gave me flat, black witchy hair. 129G is great at first but fades too quickly. So, trying Feria #40 I had about 1/2 inch growth of grey roots and hair on top was considerably lighter than the rest of my dark brown hair. This did cover my grey (which I would rate as stubborn/resistant), did not give me "hot roots" and the color is fabulous and shiny. Very Parisienne/Audrey Tautou-ish. Details: #40 is no more than 1-2 shades darker than my existing color, per Feria's suggestion. I also followed the directions for all-over color, working the color through my hair evenly, starting with the roots. I did leave it on maybe10 minutes or so over their 25 minute developing time, but did not have it on my (grey) roots any longer or shorter than the rest of my hair, and the stubborn greys are covered. If anything changes as time goes on, I will not forget to return and update this review, but for now I love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/22/2011 9:16:00 PM More reviews by jill9

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used this product when it first came out. The box said that it covered 100% gray. I ended up with a ring of gold(called hot roots) where it covered the roots. I called L'Oreal and they said Feria is not for covering gray.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/22/2011 9:08:00 PM More reviews by teedub

The worst ! I always dye my hair dark brown, usually Preferrence #2 , thought I would switch it up . Big mistake. This color gave me hot roots, which is nuts ! First time ever, tried coloring over top & it helped a bit .. Dont buy unless you want sketchy results !

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2011 6:53:00 PM More reviews by ew0308

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this hair product because it turn my hair into a rich medium chocolate brown. First of all, I have black hair and every time I try to lighten my hair I would get a bit of bronze tone in my hair. I have no problem with this product. Two months after dying my hair, the color just slight faded a bit but stay rich in brown color tone. I already purchase any bottle since I am so pleased with it. I pay 5.99-6.99 for them. For those whom want medium brown, this color would be good for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2011 1:50:00 AM More reviews by daisy17

So I have never written a review before but I feel compelled to for this. Over the years I have dyed my hair countless times. I have used this about 5 or so times. When I was younger I didn't appreciate the subtle but noticeable effect it has. It turns your hair chocolate brown but there are a few rules you must follow. With feria it has the ability to really change your hair meaning follow the rules with the only go fwo shades lighter or darker and also as with all hairdye work it through your and do your roots last. That way you can avoid the hot roots. I just dyed it to this today again and I am not gonna stray!