November 27, 2014 | 1279 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Feria Hair Color in Espresso (Deeply Brown)

rated 3 of 5 on 10/14/2014 10:37:00 PM More reviews by madisonblanch

This last year has been awful to my hair (August 2013 saw it bleached after being dyed with first henna, then black drugstore dye, which turned spots blue/green, so it's been chopped/colored repeatedly close to my natural shade-warm level 4 brown). The 7 or so inches of hair that didn't go through the bleaching process don't hold dye well at all; even when professionally dyed, it pulls lots of red while the ends remain a dark brown. So after dropping another $60 on a salon job that faded after two weeks, I thought I'd test out this. Tons of research and (supposedly) color protecting shampoo/conditioner later, I dyed my hair with this. A strand test showed up fine, and the actual process was as expected-the smell was strong but once I turned the fan on and opened doors/windows, it was fine, and it wasn't unusually messy. Per the instructions, I rinsed out all the dye, squeezed out the excess water, and just conditioned with the included shampoo.

After allowing to air dry then curling (with plenty of heat protectant) my hair was soft and shiny. I thought I was all set. But now, (exactly two weeks later), the color has faded from everywhere but the ends. I will say that the exact same happened when I had my hair professionally done, so I'm assuming it has more to do with my hair than with the dye used because besides the fast color fade (which I actually saw starting the first time I washed my hair after dyeing, about two days later) this is a great product. I definitely saw a variety of tones that played up existing highlights and the conditioner made my hair feel great (although can cause build up very quickly, so I use a clarifying treatment before using the conditioner). :My personal experience definitely impacted this review, but overall, I'd recommend it.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/19/2014 4:50:00 PM More reviews by Anitamadria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

WORST HAIR DYE EVER! I've also never written a review on makeup alley, so you know this is serious. So I'm 22 and I've been dying my hair since I was 15. Every hair color product I've used over the last seven years has always worked perfectly. I bought this hair dye because my natural hair color is espresso, but I have some light brown streaks in my hair from past coloring that I wanted to get rid of. I wanted my hair one color. So I went to Wal-Mart last night, and thought, hey ferias box is really pretty, let's try something new! When I got home, I dyed my hair, rinsed it out, let it air dry and WTF..... my light brown streaks ARE STILL THERE :| UGH!!!!! What really irritated me was that I recently cut off seven or so inches off of past colored hair, and I was really trying to stay away from coloring because of how damaging it can be. So if I was going to dye my hair, it had to be a legitimate reason. So I just damaged my hair for nothing. IT IS ALSO SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE THAN OTHER BRANDS THAT I've been using for YEARS that I should've just stuck with. I have probably dyed my hair nearly thirty times. Whether it was over colored hair or not, I have ALWAYS received the results I wanted. So disappointed. Now I have to spend MORE money and damage my hair even further :/ I am just baffled that my light brown streaks STAYED THE SAME COLOR?!?!? I'm just going to stick with what I normally use which is Revlon and some other brand I forget the name.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2014 5:16:00 AM More reviews by skim6926

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A really nice haircolor. The color is truly espresso, not at all brassy and covers all your gray. The smell is not so great but not horrible either.

If you want that lustrous, deep, dark brown hair then this is a good formula to try.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2014 11:51:00 PM More reviews by BrunetteinBranson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have naturally dark brown hair with warm tint to it. I started going grey in high school. I used Loreal Superior Preference Dark Soft Mahogany Brown. Though I love the color and I got lots of compliments. It is a bit darker than my natural color and I wanted to go. 2 years ago, I got a make over and went red. I loved it, too. But, I got bored and tired of having to refresh it every couple of weeks. I asked my stylist for recommendations on at home color and she suggested a natural shade. I looked in the Loreal Preference line because as I said, I have a little grey. Well, all the colors looked too dark or too light. So, I looked online for reviews on good colors that also cover grey and Loreal Feria Espresso had rave reviews and everything I was looking for. I tried it. I LOVE IT!! It's the first time I've ever gotten the same results as the box! It looks almost exactly like my natural color, too!! It covered the grey pretty well even though Feria is not intended to cover grey, this shade does. The after conditioner is wonderful. It's a bit messy so make sure you have everything covered and some color remover pads for your skin. Other than that, this shade is wonderful. It's not too dark that it's black but it's not too light that the red shows through a lot. It's a very nice chocolate brown shade with definition.
*UPDATE* It's been about 3 weeks since I colored with this color. I still really like it. It's way more brunette than red still... It has faded slightly. Before, it looked like a dark chocolate color, now it's more of a milk chocolate color. Think of espresso with a shot of milk. Still like it, though. I am about 90% sure I will use this color again in a few weeks when it comes time to refreshen.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2013 6:15:00 PM More reviews by luissa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have to admit I read the reviews and was totally frightened to try this product. However, I had already bought the boxes and so I took a chance. My hair was highlighted with light brown streaks in medium brown hair. The end result is beautiful. My highlights are covered and it got the little bit of grey hair I had on my roots. I started putting the hair dye on my mid section down and put my roots last. Maybe that's why I didn't end up with "hot roots." My hair feels healthier than it did before I even dyed it. I am in love with the color, it is not too dark and it does have highlights through out. This is my forever dye to go to. I will UPDATE if results change dramatically. Happy Hair Dyeing!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by memorgan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

Horrible!!! I tried this even after reading other reviewer's "hot roots" comment, something I was really afraid of getting. I have dark brown hair with probably 50% gray mixed in. Been coloring since early 20s (I'm 47). I never imaging the lovely rich dark brown color on the box would turn my roots orange!!! It did. I had to recolor with clairol to fix my roots.
This product may work well on someone with little or no gray. Beware if you have gray. What a mess.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2012 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Msgdfx1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used this product today. It didn't wreck and ravage my hair, fortunately. But, I developed hot roots. I have been using Ion Colors in lt, med, and dark brown. The colors are so true and beautiful in the Ion Line and I never have this problem. But, back to Feria. I decided to use this as it was at a special price. Well, the color on the length is ok, but, I hate the orangery roots. Will not purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2012 1:57:00 AM More reviews by rcrystal

Feria said it was multidimensional and all in one step. So, to start off, it was only $8 for a good amount of product (the conditioner tube in my opinion is large compared to others.) It is not ammonia free but it didnt smell bad. It was quite pleasant actually. I didnt use anything but what came in the box and left it on for the 25 minutes. When I rinsed a lot of it came out but to my extreme surprise, it is absolutely beautiful! A true shimmery, glossy, silky, rich, dark golden brown. My hair was virgin hair and its still even softer, glossier, and more healthy looking than before. I dont see any red, any dull, flat, or brassy color. Also, it didnt burn my scalp or make it itch or anything like that. The process was very comfortable. Best results I could ever wish for! But be careful, your hair WILL be the color match on the back of the box!
***UPDATE***
So, my hair got really light. Its no longer dark brown. Its this light golden/orangy color. Its pretty though. I love it, my bf loves it, and its still shimmery. And no damage. :D

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2012 4:33:00 PM More reviews by NoirCitydame

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Thanks to all for the reviews. I gave the product a try and it looks great. Like most brunettes on this board, I've tried all the dark browns - Preference 4, Perfect 10 #4, most recently Nice & Easy 129G, but they the two former gave me flat, black witchy hair. 129G is great at first but fades too quickly. So, trying Feria #40 I had about 1/2 inch growth of grey roots and hair on top was considerably lighter than the rest of my dark brown hair. This did cover my grey (which I would rate as stubborn/resistant), did not give me "hot roots" and the color is fabulous and shiny. Very Parisienne/Audrey Tautou-ish. Details: #40 is no more than 1-2 shades darker than my existing color, per Feria's suggestion. I also followed the directions for all-over color, working the color through my hair evenly, starting with the roots. I did leave it on maybe10 minutes or so over their 25 minute developing time, but did not have it on my (grey) roots any longer or shorter than the rest of my hair, and the stubborn greys are covered. If anything changes as time goes on, I will not forget to return and update this review, but for now I love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/22/2011 9:16:00 PM More reviews by jill9

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this product when it first came out. The box said that it covered 100% gray. I ended up with a ring of gold(called hot roots) where it covered the roots. I called L'Oreal and they said Feria is not for covering gray.