April 21, 2014 | 1190 users online

Sunscreen - Peter Thomas Roth - Uber Dry Sunscreen SPF 30

rated 2 of 5 on 1/20/2014 2:39:00 PM More reviews by kellyadams

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I'm not sure how this s/s gets such positive reviews! I have very oily, VERY fair skin with a history of skin cancer, so I'm kind of a sunscreen junky. The "uber dry" moniker sold me, and I bought a bottle awhile back. No white cast, felt okay on my skin, but unfortunately this s/s pills up something awful and just flakes right off... Disqualifying for me since I need to wear it under m/u. Too bad!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2014 1:58:00 PM More reviews by reeshamaicha

So I have been using this product for a long time after trying almost everything. And there's no other product that matches this. Its non greasy and protects my skin. I use this even during the summer, I actually used this product while i went to the beach and did not get burned. SO A+ product. this product is great and i will continue to buy it until its available.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2013 8:24:00 PM More reviews by hebraic1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am an African-American with extremely oily skin. I purchased this product after reading the reviews. Some good and some not-so-good. So I decided to try it for myself. I don't usually wear foundation and powder due to the extreme oiliness I'm forced to contend with during the warmer months. Not worth it since it mixes with the oil and practically disappears. Today was my first usage; and I love it! Left a powdery feel and just a slight shine opposed to the usual extreme shine. I am so glad that I purchased it. The price point was excellent since I purchased it from TJMAXX. (It was the only tube that they had.)

8/9 -An update to my initial review. I was in the heat today and noticed that the only area of my face to perspire was the skin directly underneath my eyes. NO place else. My face was as powdery as it was before I left home. Love it! Going to see if I can find another tube of this at TJMaxx. Also, as another reviewer documented; there is no white sheen when putting it on.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/24/2012 2:32:00 PM More reviews by dianadelin

I bought this product based on the high make-up alley reviews. I don't agree with the majority. This pills not only under makeup, but also on your body. It does work as a sunscreen, but I don't use it because of the pilling.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2012 12:38:00 PM More reviews by sullenmoon

I found this really protected my fair skin, but still allowed me to toast. It's completely un-greasy and did not break me out at all. o far, I'm loving it. I'm packing it for a trip to the Virgin Islands...let's see how it fares there.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2012 8:00:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Here's the confusing literature on this product. There is a label on it saying it's "Recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation". So naturally, one would think the ingredients are good for blocking uva/uvb rays. One would think it's photostable. The problem is when you read the ingredients in this product, you find this:
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
AVOBENZONE 2.00%
HOMOSALATE 8.00%
OCTINOXATE 7.50%
OCTISALATE 5.00%
OXYBENZONE 3.50%

Avobenzone is unstable, and when combined with octinoxate it is further destabilized. Unless there is another product introduced into the ingredients to stablilize the performance, the product is not considered stable. It's not useless, just not as effective. So I would fathom that depending how much sun you plan on being outside in you want to use a product that is considered more stable.
I've used this product from the spring thru the fall and I'm lighter than fair. I didn't get any color at all this season, which is fine by me. I don't do the sun unless forced to, for example, walking my dogs. I'm not a sun-lover and never have been. I'll use this tube but next year I'll be sure to check the stability first before purchase. There are other good ingredients in the product good for your skin, and that's a definite plus. It's smooth, creamy, blends in well and isn't noticeable before/after make-up.
I have written the company asking them questions and will post their answer when received.

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2012 6:01:00 PM More reviews by XoXoSinCity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used to use this spf for years as no secret I rave about the PTR line all the time because I have always been impressed with the amazing quality of the products and have tried so many. I have insanely fussy super breakout/clog/oily prone skin. I have yet to ever find an spf in existance that isn't full of alcohol, cones, and clogging ingredients that leaves my face matte and isnt heavy. This spf was the only thing that ever did that for me and great price for the amount you get. BUT the cold hard facts are that is is completely UNSTABLE as I found out a while back. I was really surprised and dissapointed in the only amazing formula for problem skin types offers no true sun protection. In that what is the point you might as well be using a regular moisturizer. What shcocks me is PTR has so many other spf products that are actually stable protection yes all those are rediculously greasy/heavy and didnt come close to being okay for my skin. Since giving this one up I have never founda replacement and gave up on spf as not worth it ruining/breaking out my skin considering all the effort I put in with other skincare to stay clear you know lol. I have hopes one day they might reformulate and make this one stable but until then sorry ladies this moisturizer is worthless as a so called "SPF".

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2012 5:29:00 PM More reviews by kookoo4mike

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

First of all, I use this product on my face only. I have looked high and low for a good spf for my face that didn't break me out and this was it. The texture is great, it absorbs into my skin quickly and gives a nice, matte finish. And for a 4.2 oz size at around $26, that's cheap! I have oily complexion and used this product all thru summer and never once gave me a pimple where others did. Absolutely wonderful product! And btw, i used around my eye area too with no problems.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2012 6:58:00 PM More reviews by sitknee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This sunscreen leaves a nice matte finish. It's creamy and a little thick, which makes it a bit hard to blend in, but it's not a big deal. I do have some issues with it balling up, but I think it depends on what you use under it (your moisturizer or whatever), and how long you've let whatever that is, sink into your skin and dry. Also, my Hourglass primer doesn't absorb into my face if I put it on over this. This sunscreen seems to leave a kind of film, which is fine for foundation but a little troublesome for products that need to sink in (like primer). That film I mention is not something you can feel -- I just mean it must leave some sort of invisible barrier.

So this is supposed to be great for oily skin. I think it might work well for those with slightly oily skin, but not for those who have serious issues (like me). This doesn't really control oil, and it does this funny thing where it makes my foundation fade faster.

Even though I have problems using this with my make-up, I do find it to be a rather good sunscreen. It feels like nothing on your skin and leaves nothing behind -- no greasy look or feel, no shine, no white cast. You just get a smooth, matte finish.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2012 1:13:00 PM More reviews by Deandra

I have no hesitation in recommending this sunscreen for the body - it does feel dry and weightless and the SPF 30 is sufficient for most daytime activities (if you're spending a day at the beach you should probably seek a higher SPF). People who are reluctant to wear sunscreen because of the greasy feel should try this because of the comfortable finish. For the face, I think it's good for certain skin types but not all. I wore this under makeup one day and it felt heavy even though my complexion looked good - it actually had a soft dewy look even though the finish is matte. But by five o'clock I really wanted to wash my face - it felt thick. For reference my skin is sensitive and prone to small breakouts, so you can call it combination. I'll continue to get it but it's not my HG for face - just for body.