July 31, 2014 | 1471 users online

Fragrances - Lancome - Cuir de Lancome

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 1:12:00 PM More reviews by theresasampson

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Cuir is a refined floral over a soft buttery leather almost amber base. It is luscious but not overwhelming in any way. For me the manderin & saffron opening feels like a very slightly spiced organge glaze. Round and flowing into the floral heart of jasmine & ylang. To me this is not a fresh burst of citrus but an orange that melds with the floral w/out too much sweetness.

You do detect the "leather' birtch & styrax accord underneath, but this is a fine soft leather scent from a luxury purse. Round & proper without any edges, dryness or cracking. I feel that the. floral notes blooom from the leather keeping it soft while the leather ties around the florals to keep them from growing too big.

This would be a great introduction to leather accord in perfume or if you find other leathers too much for you cuir may be the one. I think if you like florals you may find it interesting in how a base can keep a floral reigned in as a well manicured garden.

I find both sillage & longevity to be moderate. Very reasonable price even after a bit of raise due to its discontinuation.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 11:18:00 PM More reviews by darted19

I am absolutely enamored with Cuir de Lancôme! It is elegant and classic and makes me feel very French when I wear it. I do not like the typical sweet girly fruit or flower smell and although there are some hints of flower in this scent they are mostly hidden by the rich luxurious leather, citrus and wood. I wear Cuir de Lancôme day to night and it transitions quite well. The longevity is decent but I generally spray more than once a day. The bottle is minimalist and timeless it reminds me of what I saw on my Grandmother's dressing table. The cap is ill fitting but that is the only flaw I can find. I have already purchased a new bottle while my current one is over half full; I do not want to run out of this beautiful scent!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2013 10:02:00 PM More reviews by vmalenfant

I like this perfume I purchase it blind on a website, and it is lovely but just doesn't last. 1hr and almost all gone .... last more on cloths it is a floral leather, smell more floral then leather but just wish it has more longevity :(

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/10/2013 11:47:00 AM More reviews by confuzzled

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was all set for a soft leather scent but got a sickly sweet amber. What a disappointment. Although it was a spray, I could smell it even though it had never been sprayed. The bottle and stopper are elegant, but the stopper doesn't fit. At all. Just sits on the glass. I'm hoping I can return it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2012 6:38:00 AM More reviews by heyfattybumbum

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

Edit 14/08/2012......Ive changed my mind....after my initial test of Cuir I put it away as i was disappointed ..but a few days ago decided to give it another try ...this time not on my skin..but up in the air & walk through....ahem ahem....It is stunning!!! so much so Ive ordered another bottle...I had french ladies.(I live in France) following me around the supermarket sniffing me!!...When I first spayed it on my arm all I got was quite a sharp mouldy leafy garden smell with a huge hit of old leather ..it took a good 30 mins to dry down to a lovely soft buttery leather which I really liked ...it reminds me now of the vintage Charles of the Ritz from the 80's ...which I abs adored back in the day...I obs cannot wear Cuir on my skin ..its my chemistry as it is with Rive Gauche..but sprayed into air & walked through it misses out that first initial 30 mins of sharp leaves for me and all I can smell is the lovely soft floral leather/suede drydown...The bottle top is faulty but I did my homework on this & app back in 2007 upon Cuirs relaunch ...the bottles left the factory with damaged ill fitting tops ...both mine are ..its quickly fixed but this is why app they were never really distrubuted to Lancome counters (only the minitures) but sent to perfume discounters instead....I do like it ..its not a favourite...but on the days I want to be ladylike ..wear my pearls and hair in an 'updo' & dont mind ladies following me around sniffing me ...I'll wear it!...

7 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/26/2011 4:55:00 PM More reviews by VBT1002

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was trying to find a more accessible and less expensive alternative to Chanel's Cuir de Russie. I was eager to try Cuir de Lancome based on the great reviews. The beautiful opening which validated all of the accolades only served to make the contrasting cheap and synthetic drydown so shocking and disappointing. I will keep searching but perhaps there is no comparison or replacement for Chanel's Cuir. I just wish the Chanel were longer lasting...

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2011 5:46:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I won't even try to equal all the eloquent - bordering on poetic - descriptions by other posters here. Let me just give you the word that immediately came to my mind when I spritzed this on: elegant. This is a very elegant perfume. It's a very subtle leather, which suits me fine because I'm not too keen on smelling SO leathery that I remind those around me of a shoe store, or something.

I've been wanting to try this for a long time because I'm going back to the classics as I am getting increasingly tired of new perfumes that smell practically all the same. Also, I don't like scents that are too flowery or too fruity (I'm not keen on smelling like a bowl of fruit salad, either). I consider those much too unsophisticated. The problem was always the price. Then I found this (which usually retails for $125) for a very available $34 at a website where I usually get genuine brands for unbelievable prices (case in point). So I decided to buy it unsniffed (which is rare for me). Oh, how glad I am I did! And yes, it
s the real thing. This scent is very feminine. More soft, expensive suede than leather. And the floral notes are just enough to make it lovely, but not cloying. I particularly get the saffron. On my skin, it dries down to a very sexy, earthy, mossy, woody smell. As I said, a very elegant scent. It talks to me of refinement, good taste, and understated luxury. Now what could be better than that?

Now I'm hunting for the rest of the collection: Magie, Sikkim, Climat (which I used to wear when I was young), Sagamore, and Mille & Une Roses. My reliable website does not carry them, worse luck. If I find them, I bet they're going to cost a fortune. :(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2011 2:31:00 AM More reviews by sassykzt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Given the hype , I was skeptical when I first tried Cuir de Lancôme, but I’m happy to be proven wrong. One wearing, and it’s up there in my leather pantheon with Chanel’s Cuire de Russie, Knize Ten, Cuir Pleine Fleur, Bandit, Derby, Oud Cuir d’Arabie, and Eau d’Hermès. That said, what were the folks at Lancôme thinking? They (re?)introduce one of the most compelling leather scents on the market, and then distribute it so erratically that nobody can actually purchase it. I see no point.

I find Cuir de Lancôme decidedly animalistic from the very start, with a well-integrated civet note no less apparent than that found in Chanel's Cuir de Russie.

Smoky, animalistic leather and bergamot dominate the top notes. They soon receive support from a reserved floral bouquet that reveals flashes of jasmine and crisp rose among an otherwise seamlessly blended accord. Cuir de Lancôme employs iris in its central leather accord, not the plush-bordering-on-indulgent iris root of Cuir de Russie. The result is a dry, woody, smoky leather accord that's very much a thing unto itself. .

The dry down leans heavily on woody notes, enlivened by a discreet touch of herbaceous patchouli. I'd further point out that moss is no more apparent here than heavy amber, so that Cuir de Lancôme eschews chypre references just as effectively as oriental leanings. I only hope that someday Lancôme will see fit to make it more widely available. In the meantime, I've just ordered myself a backup bottle.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2011 10:20:00 AM More reviews by amlang

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Polite leather; don’t look here for anything bad-girl. The opening smells a bit cheap and girlie. Then the scent becomes polite and powdery, with flowers winking in and out. This is a leather scent you could wear to high tea. It says, “Don’t worry, I won’t cause any trouble.”

Seems pale compared to Cuir Ottoman or Indult’s leather. Not even in the same league as Bandit or Lonestar Memories. Smells too budget-conscious to be compared with Daim Blond or Boxeuses.

Medium sillage. Decent longevity.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2011 3:48:00 PM More reviews by Soyonzen

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is absolutely beautiful. This perfume is soft leather- soft real buttery expensive leather. There is no harsh synthetic pleather, no plastic, no burnt rubber here. There is nothing competing with the leather either. Instead it works really well complimenting the soft floral notes. I do think you have to love leather to a degree to enjoy this. It is very obviously soft supple leather. This is a leather in the lines of Cuir de Russie by Chanel, but depending on which version of CdR you have tried, you may find this much less animalic. It also doesn't have that distinctive Chanel vibe to it. But this is not by any means any less classy and refined. What do I love most about it? That it isn't powdery, and it doesn't have a department store accord to it. I also love that it doesn't smell of cosmetics or lipstick. If you want to smell like a leather purse, your better bet is Chanel CdR.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No