The Body Shop Seaweed mattifying moisture lotion SPF 15

3.1

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 6/30/2015 5:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

So sad to see this didn't get great reviews, because I love this product. I have very very oily skin, so much so that around the afternoon my makeup looks like it's swimming in oil, and everything starts to melt off like a wax figure left in the sun (okay maybe not that dramatic but you get the idea). Now, I apply this lotion after toner, then put on my makeup (Body Shop Wonderblur, Estee Lauder Double Wear and Shiseido Finishing Powder) and it STAYS PUT ALL DAY until about late afternoon/night time, where I will start to get a bit oily. No greasiness, no excess shine, no sliding (that may be attributed to the Double Wear, but with my Etude House BB Cream and Revlon Age Rewind, none of them melted either).

The smell I find to be pretty pleasant, light and refreshing. Not sure why people complain about the smell /after/ buying it, since TBS offers testers aplenty...? (Protip: ASK FOR TESTERS). And to be honest, I would put up with a lot worse than some smell that fades quickly if it meant it did amazing things for my skin. Anyway, I apply it right after I wash my face, and it absorbs really quickly, without leaving residue or a thick, heavy feeling even though most sunscreens do.I do have to concede however, that it doesn't really mattify my face, just leaves it looking kind of moisturised.

As for the sunscreen, yes SPF15 /seems/ to be on the low side, but if you understood how sunscreens work, it's something you have to reapply every four hours regardless of the number anyway. And how the SPF works is actually dependent on how YOU and your skin reacts to sun and how quickly you burn. A dark-skinned person could be in the sun for 2 hours before their skin feels burnt, while a very light-skinned person could burn in less than half an hour. So an SPF15 sunscreen would work by taking how long it takes you to burn, and delay that by about 15 times. SPF30 by 30 times, and etc. So unless you're very light-skinned or you burn very easy, you don't actually need that SPF90000+ or whatever ridiculous number they have these days.

But regardless of the number, reapply every four hours because it wears off/you sweat it off. Honestly, higher, more impressive sounding numbers doesn't always mean it's better.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

TOTAL fail. This is not mattifying at all. It's so NOT mattifying that I really wonder why in the world they would market it as such. I already have very oily skin, but this makes it so much worse, it's unbearable. The smell is also really unpleasant.

on 11/25/2014 9:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have extremely oily skin, and no product has ever been able to control my oil all day. This product is no exception, but considering I had some realistic expectations, it's not that big of a deal. I do enjoy and use face lotion, however, because washing my face does tend to make my skin feel stripped of moisture. That feeling does not need to be amended with a moisturizer, but I enjoy a quick fix.

Pros:
-Moisturizer absorbs into the skin easily
-Does not leave a heavy or greasy feel and doesn't contribute to oiliness
-Packing is an easy squeeze-tube

Cons:
-Does not keep the skin matte for all that long

This product isn't for me. I find it makes around my jawline feel oily. It feels amazing on the rest of my face though. I won't purchase this product for me again, but this might be a great product for someone else. I do love the fact that it has sunscreen, which is the biggest reason why I bought it.

on 7/24/2014 11:55:00 AM

Although the Seaweed line from TBS has really great facial cleansers and night treatment lotions, this moisturizer is its weakest product.

Not only is the SPF low at 15 (as are almost all of TBS sun protection products), but this lotion doesn't help at all with keeping your skin matte. I have a very oily T-zone (needs blotting/powder within an hour of cleansing) and right when I apply this, my skin is shiny with a thin layer of oil! This lotion is oil-free as well, so it simply doesn't work for my skin.

I'm also not a fan of the odd sunscreen smell. What's good about this product is that it doesn't cause any burning sensations, and my skin is sensitive (turns red and bumpy from my workout sweat).

None of the products from TBS offer good sun protection, except the Vitamin C lotion with SPF 30. I have also tried that one, and it's not good for oily combination skin. TBS has wonderful products, but I recommend looking elsewhere for sun protection face lotions.

on 3/11/2014 3:41:00 PM

This doesn't mattify at all, but it is a decent daytime moisturizer. I certainly like it better than the Vitamin E Moisture Lotion SPF 15, since it's not as greasy. It sits will under makeup and has a light, pleasant scent. Since it doesn't actually mattify and I don't think SPF 15 is good enough sun protection, I won't be repurchasing.

on 1/21/2014 7:40:00 PM

I bought this one during boxing day and it was nearly my birthday + 10% membership card so I got it almost as a free item, I was excited to try it. However, it smells like a sunscreen, also when you apply it on your face it's super super GREASY, which is a big CONS for this product, and my face feel so so heavy . I had oily skin on the T-zone, I've admitted that it has control oil pretty good compared to the other products I've been using. I'm not sure if this cause me break out or not because my skin regularly break out already so I will not blame it on the product. But however, If it is not greasy and made me feel like having make up on my face I would try it again, 2/5 but nọt 1/5 because it claim what it said, control oil .

on 12/18/2013 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have oily combination skin,oily t-zone and normal on the rest with dry flaky post acne spots. I like that it has SPF 15 better than nothing at all. I noticed its better to use this during the colder months because I think even tho' it's marketed for oily skins the consistency is pretty rich and do absolutly nothing to mattify oily face. I finished the whole tube but I didn't repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I was eager to try this because I wanted an oil-control cream that moisturizes and gives an SPF bonus. It was pretty expensive (as all TBS products), so I wanted to love it. Unfortunately, I found it merely passable. Yes, it does control oil somewhat, and yes, it feels great on the skin. But I found that it was so easy to put on too much of the products and make my face even oilier.
It felt greasy upon application and I needed to let it sit for 5-15 minutes before applying make-up.

on 9/24/2013 4:43:00 AM

This moisturizer is absolutely terrible! It did absolutely nothing for my skins and left a gross residue afterwards, despite the fact I brought it brand new. The first time I used it, I got a tiny speck of moisturizer on my eyelash, it wasn't in my eye and it was all fine, I wiped it off. 6 hours later I have a massive black eye and it stings like a ***** underneath my eye. I have washed my eye with water and everything, what appalled me the most was the fact that there was no information on the packaging what to do if it gets in your eyes. Boo you Bodyshop! I now have a massive black eye mid week, that is never a good look.