July 23, 2014 | 2132 users online

Hair Treatments - Kevin Murphy - Leave-in.Luxury

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2013 8:47:00 AM More reviews by MiddleCyclone

I am pretty impressed with this leave in.

Let me clarify my hair situation - up until 2 years ago I really didn't do much with my hair. I didn't color, straighten it or do anything really intense to it. My biggest issue is that my hair is very fine and very prone to frizz and flyaways. The most I would do is get a professionally done blow out every now and then. Then I started working at a salon and got a total hair makeover turning my naturally dark brunette hair to a highlighted blonde and got hooked on flat ironing it pretty much every day. I now of course have some damage and split ends and have recently started seeing some breakage in the lengths. I knew this damage was the result mainly of so much flat ironing and have really cut back on that, however I knew an intensive product was needed to repair the damage that had been done. After a few disappointments with some damage remedy serums I decided to give this leave in conditioner a try.

First off I found the scent to be somewhat overpowering though it disappears quickly. The texture of it is the same as a body lotion, not super thick though not super runny either. I massaged it into my wet hair and combed it through. The comb literally slid through my hair when I usually have a ton of knots. This was the first pleasant surprise! I wrapped my hair in a towel for about 10 min then combed it out one more time and started to blow dry. My hair felt very sleek and soft. That was the second pleasant suprise!

A few hours later my hair still looked shiny and smooth and was very soft to the touch. Unfortunately though I am stuck in some late summer super humid weather so my hair still has some frizz, however I've given up on finding a product which can keep my hair smooth in the humidity as my hair just loves to turn into a frizz fest. This leave in definitely helped more than any other frizz fighting products have though!

I would highly recommend this to anyone with over processed frizzy and dry hair. After a few uses my hair is definitely looking and feeling more moisturized!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2011 4:11:00 AM More reviews by hippihanna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product for my thick hair. Its the only leave in conditioner that i like 'so far' and ive tried many (i say so far because I'm a product junkie and am always on the look for better hair products).
More on the product... It keeps my hair felling hydrated and soft. It doesnt feel heavy for my type but rather it leaves my hair feeling conditioned and protected from the elements.
I dont heat style anymore so i feel this is good to keep my hair in tip top shape whilst groowing it out. I cant comment on how it would work for sleek hair styles that require tongs and flat irons.
I dont give it 5/5 because i feel it could do with a bit more of something in it. I took the advice of one reviewer down below and I mix it with something else, she uses Argan oil. I would like to try it with pure Argan oil but at the moment my bathroom cabinet is full with oils and serums that I plan to use them up before purchasing something else. So, in the meantime I mix it in my hand with a few drops Schwarzkopf Professional Bonacure Oil Miracle and the two together work wonders for my hair. I do feel that i shouldn't have to mix it with anything else for it to do its magic and thus my reason for not giving it 5. I will repurchase nevertheless, it's the only product that seems to work for me at the moment.

EDIT: I went to buy it again only to find that it has been discontinued :(

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2010 9:21:00 PM More reviews by Kayr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a pretty good leave in conditioner, definitely better than the drugstore ones that I've tried. When I found a salon that carried these Kevin Murphy products, they only sold the leave in that had the Amodimethicone version; but it doesn't build up and is water soluble because it is followed by Trideceth-12 and Cetrimonium Chloride. I found out via the Hair Board that they now make a cone-free version, so I'm on the lookout for that one.
It did moisturize my hair a bit, not as good as I wanted it too, but I did like the way it worked. It didn't cut down too much of the frizz but it did help some; I found that if I put a couple of drops of jojoba oil mixed in with the leave in dish that it did perform a hell-of-a lot better. Hopefully, when/if I do decide to buy this again, that I'll find the cone-free version. That is the version that I really wanted to try.
It did make my hair soft, which is what I really liked about it. I also liked the shape of the bottle which makes it very convenient to get the last of the product out. Also, I noticed that the product does tend to separate in between uses, so be sure to shake the product well before applying to the hair. I found that if I forget to shake the product my hair tends to feel a bit dry; but if I shake the product beforehand, my hair feels great!
UPDATE: I've learned that this is the only leave in conditioner that I've tried so far that I really like and keep going back to. This has become my HG, especially when I mix a little dab of jojoba oil into this before applying to my hair. This is a great leave in!

UPDATE of previous Update: WOW, this stuff is a million times better when you mix a couple of drops of 100% pure organic Argan Oil in with this leave in. My hair become really soft and moisturized and tangle free all day. Didn't feel oily or greasy either. Both of these products have become my ultimate HGs for my hair and now I'm very happy with my hair!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/22/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by tracygray

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm with the reviewer below...Rather than hydrating your hair it coats it leaving a dirty residue feel....I do like the smell and the idea of a heavier leave in for the thirsty girls but this does not deliver. 3.5

rated 3 of 5 on 2/8/2010 4:15:00 PM More reviews by cdowning410

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use this for extra moisture and protection for my fine, damaged, color treated medium length hair. Usually follows L'anza Healing Shampoo and Terax Crema conditioner. This is a little heavy for how I use it, but since it is a leave in conditioner I understand why. I just use a bit less of it and concentrate only on the ends to compensate. Have been using for a few weeks and so far I like what it is doing for my hair, leaves it silky and I feels like it helps protect from the heat of the blowdryer, which I use sparingly. My only complaint is the smell - I despise the smell. Smells like a piney, woodsy mens cologne with some kind of undernote that resembles patchouli. Luckily the smell of my Crema (which I actually like even though most others don't) and the Bonacure Sealed Ends that I use along with this seem to make it tolerable. If it smelled better, or even was unscented, I'd like it a whole lot more.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2010 11:46:00 PM More reviews by Kayelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Unfortunately I'm in the minority on this. My hair has become slightly damaged from heat and color, so I went from not using conditioner at all to needing something pretty rich. Instead of making my hair soft, smooth and bouncy, this just weighed it down and made it feel unwashed and straw-like. The scent is nice and I like that many of the ingredients are natural, but this is not something I'd buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2009 9:45:00 PM More reviews by Milena

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

What a great leave-in! This is a little richer and more moisturizing than my old (discontinued) HG, Kiehl's leave-in conditioner. And since my hair is long, damaged and colored, I can never have too much moisture :) It has a nice, creamy consistency and a woodsy-citrusy scent that smells like a soft men's cologne (it fades on my hair quickly though). And it really smooths my hair (especially the super-dry ends) without weighing it down it all. Love it!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2009 8:58:00 PM More reviews by MissRini

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh no. I hate writing bad reviews when all the rest of the reviews are so good! In fact I only bought this because I read what was on here. Unfortunately, this product did not work for me at all.

Firstly, it is expensive. Secondly it smells EXACTLY like men's aftershave. It's not an overly strong smell, but it's there and it lingers for an hour or so and makes me feel sick. Thirdly, I tried using a small amount and my hair felt dry and frizzy. Then I used a more generous amount and my hair was stringy and thin looking. In both cases my hair felt slightly softer, but somewhat coated. There was no shine at all. My hair did not look good. I don't know if it's just my hair type (very wavy, fine, but lots of it. It's in good condition).

On the good side, the packaging is great. I also like how my hair feels when I wash the product out. I might use it up as a regular conditioner, rather than a leave in (but even then, I don't think it would be rich enough).

I'll keep looking for something to replace my Kiehl's leave-in, but this is not it sadly.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2009 7:29:00 AM More reviews by penny_xox

I really like this product. Used on wet hair and let air dry it made my usually slightly frizzy, dry hair look smooth, felt very soft and had a slight shine. It has a pleasant, non offensive smell. Overall am impressed and will continue using as a leave in conditioner.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2009 5:26:00 PM More reviews by daniargie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a very nice product but I dont think the detangling power is that great.
I would say it's a different kind of leave-in conditioner, it's more like a styling aid that helps with frizz and makes hair sleek but wont help you if you have a head of knots after washing your hair.
When I put it on my hair and it didnt make my hair soft right away, makes it feel kinda weird and crunchy. When my hair was dry (air dried) it was frizz free, shiny and soft!
Good thing for me was that it doesnt weight my hair down at all, in fact my hair had volume and bounce but no frizz, which I really liked and it's hard to get when you have fine hair like I do.

Good product overall.