December 22, 2014 | 1802 users online

Top/Base Coats - Butter London - Nail Foundation Flawless Basecoat

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2014 11:03:00 PM More reviews by kaxel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I purchased this in a special package with Butter P.D. Quick Topcoat for $15 for both. I would normally not spend $15 on one nail polish.

As a base coat, this does a superb job of smoothing the nail surface and creating a sleek canvas. I am growing out a gel manicure (too lazy to go back to salon for removal) and still have some little bits of lumpy gel on a few nails...this smoothed them RIGHT out.

The color is also nice, as some have stated. It gives you a natural nail look (although it is more of a nude, rather than pinkish, natural) if you just put clear over it.

That said, this did not work well for me in terms of keeping nails from chipping. I have dry, weak nails that constantly peel at the tips....they peeled just as much with this base coat and P.D. Quick as they do with any drugstore base coat. In fact, I think that the Revlon base coat (it's a matte pinkish shade) was actually better.

I love the look and style of Butter polish bottles (a plus).

I'll use up this bottle, but I wouldn't buy this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/17/2014 4:57:00 AM More reviews by groovysahar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Not worth the money.
Bought it after reading the great reviews, and it's a huge disappointment. Nail polish chips after 1 day (!) and after 2-3 days huge pieced of nail polish just fall off, leaving half nail naked.

Revlon Base Coat costs way less and it's amazing. Buy it instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2014 10:37:00 AM More reviews by keyelement

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Though I'm always on the lookout for something new or better, for the past couple years this has been HG. I really can't stand BL bottles so that annoys me, but I like the nudey color of this BC. I typically use it in conjunction with SV and 90% of the time my manis wear like rocks for a full week. Every now and then, and I can't predict it or what brands of polish it happens with because it's so sporadic, manis flake off in sheets right away. Because it's such a small percent of the time it's obviously the chemistry of the color polish interacting with this BC and my SV top coat so I don't attribute it to the BC at all. This really has changed the frequency I wear polish; I didn't have the patience to put effort into manis before only to have them chip a few days later. After doing research here, I found Foundation and I am very happy with it. Minus 1 lippy because the packaging. Also this bottle is taller than BL polishes which I wish it wouldn't be; the larger the bottle, the more gets wasted when it gets gloopy, which this definitely gets about 2/3 way down the bottle. I recommend it regardless!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 11:41:00 PM More reviews by rerelove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this base coat. It's marketed as make-up for your nails and I would have to agree! It has a lovely nude matte finish which is great to wear alone as well as under a polish. It dries fast, a plus as I'm impatient, and you get a ton in the bottle - great for the price! Will definitely buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2014 1:11:00 AM More reviews by Paintedlily62

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: I must have received a poor batch or old product because I exchanged it and this is like night and day. No chipping (well...1 minor nick, but it couldn't be helped, I accidentally hit it on a stainless steel pan) and no peeling! I will update later on whether or not it stains. Fingers crossed!

OLD REVIEW: This gave me mixed feelings, but overall, the positives didn't outweigh the negatives. This has a nice transparent peachy-nude color that gives the nails a polished and tidy look. This also dries really quickly and makes colors you put atop vibrant. Unfortunately, the 20 to 30 minutes you just spent shaping and polishing your nails will be ruined by the next day. Chipping and peeling within 24 hours. Not little chips either, large ones that are about a quarter of the polish on the nail....simply chipped, peeled and *POOF* gone. I suspect that the top coat induces the chipping and the base coat enables the peeling. It's rather unfortunate because I love those first few points and I LOVE the packaging (where you can use the cover cap to open the bottle, ingenious...no more opening bottles with your teeth!). I also noticed some peachy-yellow staining after less that one day of wear. Le sigh....

rated 2 of 5 on 11/14/2013 11:23:00 PM More reviews by blackowlive

It costs $20 and it still chipped from normal everyday tasks. Disappointed.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2013 5:36:00 PM More reviews by mosefundmama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE butter polishes...but I was very surprised by this basecoat. I got it today (was so excited to get it) and It bubbled with one coat. I know how to apply polish very well so I don't think it was a problem with application. I applied one coat of Butter polish over it hoping that the tiny bubbles wouldn't show (like that ever happens) but no luck.

I am going to have to redo my manicure tonight with the same polish and see if it was the nail strengthener (coat one) the Butter basecoat (coat two) or the polish (coat three) that was the culprit...but I have a feeling it was the butter basecoat. If so I am sending it back.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2013 1:07:00 PM More reviews by mwarner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Was very disappointed w/this base coat. Is thick, gloppy, and takes forever to dry, which caused some bubbling in my manicure, not cool! I love the top coat, but am returning the base coat.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2013 6:52:00 PM More reviews by adh1006

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this because it truly stops dark-colored nail polish from staining my nails. It dries fast. I use 1 coat before I use color nail polish. It also looks great alone. I use 3 coats along with a clear topcoat to give my nails a classic, nude look. When wearing alone, 1 coat looks more like a "clear" nail polish. 2 coats was too sheer for me. That's why I used 3 coats for my nude nail look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 4:01:00 PM More reviews by Reemyn

HG.
I'm in looove, I'll be buying this forever, and believe me I'm so not crazy about nail polish.. Actually I dislike nail polish, I always had trouble applying it, keeping my mani clean&fresh. But this isn't really a nail polish, it is more than that.
Wear one coat, for an invisible, matte, but still perfected coverage. Your nails but better, anyone? This is it. For boys too.
Wear two coats, for a shinier, nude feel. Classic, timeless.
I keep staring my nails all day.
It dries super fast, love the brush, love everything about it.
Yes, it may not be the longest lasting base, or nail polish, whatever you use it for, but I'm done with my mani within 10 minutes, so applying this over and over 1-2 times a week is ok, because it dries really fast.