July 26, 2014 | 1339 users online

Top/Base Coats - Butter London - Nail Foundation Flawless Basecoat

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2014 10:37:00 AM More reviews by keyelement

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Though I'm always on the lookout for something new or better, for the past couple years this has been HG. I really can't stand BL bottles so that annoys me, but I like the nudey color of this BC. I typically use it in conjunction with SV and 90% of the time my manis wear like rocks for a full week. Every now and then, and I can't predict it or what brands of polish it happens with because it's so sporadic, manis flake off in sheets right away. Because it's such a small percent of the time it's obviously the chemistry of the color polish interacting with this BC and my SV top coat so I don't attribute it to the BC at all. This really has changed the frequency I wear polish; I didn't have the patience to put effort into manis before only to have them chip a few days later. After doing research here, I found Foundation and I am very happy with it. Minus 1 lippy because the packaging. Also this bottle is taller than BL polishes which I wish it wouldn't be; the larger the bottle, the more gets wasted when it gets gloopy, which this definitely gets about 2/3 way down the bottle. I recommend it regardless!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 11:41:00 PM More reviews by rerelove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this base coat. It's marketed as make-up for your nails and I would have to agree! It has a lovely nude matte finish which is great to wear alone as well as under a polish. It dries fast, a plus as I'm impatient, and you get a ton in the bottle - great for the price! Will definitely buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2014 1:11:00 AM More reviews by Paintedlily62

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: I must have received a poor batch or old product because I exchanged it and this is like night and day. No chipping (well...1 minor nick, but it couldn't be helped, I accidentally hit it on a stainless steel pan) and no peeling! I will update later on whether or not it stains. Fingers crossed!

OLD REVIEW: This gave me mixed feelings, but overall, the positives didn't outweigh the negatives. This has a nice transparent peachy-nude color that gives the nails a polished and tidy look. This also dries really quickly and makes colors you put atop vibrant. Unfortunately, the 20 to 30 minutes you just spent shaping and polishing your nails will be ruined by the next day. Chipping and peeling within 24 hours. Not little chips either, large ones that are about a quarter of the polish on the nail....simply chipped, peeled and *POOF* gone. I suspect that the top coat induces the chipping and the base coat enables the peeling. It's rather unfortunate because I love those first few points and I LOVE the packaging (where you can use the cover cap to open the bottle, ingenious...no more opening bottles with your teeth!). I also noticed some peachy-yellow staining after less that one day of wear. Le sigh....

rated 2 of 5 on 11/14/2013 11:23:00 PM More reviews by blackowlive

It costs $20 and it still chipped from normal everyday tasks. Disappointed.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2013 5:36:00 PM More reviews by mosefundmama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE butter polishes...but I was very surprised by this basecoat. I got it today (was so excited to get it) and It bubbled with one coat. I know how to apply polish very well so I don't think it was a problem with application. I applied one coat of Butter polish over it hoping that the tiny bubbles wouldn't show (like that ever happens) but no luck.

I am going to have to redo my manicure tonight with the same polish and see if it was the nail strengthener (coat one) the Butter basecoat (coat two) or the polish (coat three) that was the culprit...but I have a feeling it was the butter basecoat. If so I am sending it back.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2013 1:07:00 PM More reviews by mwarner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Was very disappointed w/this base coat. Is thick, gloppy, and takes forever to dry, which caused some bubbling in my manicure, not cool! I love the top coat, but am returning the base coat.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2013 6:52:00 PM More reviews by adh1006

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this because it truly stops dark-colored nail polish from staining my nails. It dries fast. I use 1 coat before I use color nail polish. It also looks great alone. I use 3 coats along with a clear topcoat to give my nails a classic, nude look. When wearing alone, 1 coat looks more like a "clear" nail polish. 2 coats was too sheer for me. That's why I used 3 coats for my nude nail look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 4:01:00 PM More reviews by Reemyn

HG.
I'm in looove, I'll be buying this forever, and believe me I'm so not crazy about nail polish.. Actually I dislike nail polish, I always had trouble applying it, keeping my mani clean&fresh. But this isn't really a nail polish, it is more than that.
Wear one coat, for an invisible, matte, but still perfected coverage. Your nails but better, anyone? This is it. For boys too.
Wear two coats, for a shinier, nude feel. Classic, timeless.
I keep staring my nails all day.
It dries super fast, love the brush, love everything about it.
Yes, it may not be the longest lasting base, or nail polish, whatever you use it for, but I'm done with my mani within 10 minutes, so applying this over and over 1-2 times a week is ok, because it dries really fast.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2013 7:39:00 AM More reviews by Sambalina82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I LOVE this. I don't even like putting polish on top because I love the nude satin/matte look it gives my nails. Great for when I dont feel like putting polish on but can't go naked due to uneven colouring caused by polish and weak see through patches. Awesome.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2013 9:16:00 AM More reviews by Peskypixie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is really a PITA to work with. Just a warning- I don't have healthy nails, I have a gluten intolerance and my nails are the first sign that there is a problem with my nutrient intake (then my hair starts to thin). However, I have found some products that will reduce / prevent these problems.

The concept is great - I've been looking for something just like this for years. I did not find that it evened out the color of my nails. The white tips of my nails are really low and uneven from years of... stuff (I kept them trimmed to the point that there was no free edge because they would bend backwards otherwise). Goes on very very sheer, as a base I find I have a big problem with chipping-- just does not work with my chemistry. I usually only wear it alone and that requires several coats to give a nice natural nail look for a day or two, which is fine but that's not why I bought it.

I have really thin nails, so even with several coats this is not really substantial enough to support my rather delicate nails. I also found that using this as a base for a few weeks resulted in my nails reverting to their original problem state. I had to trim them back to teensy tiny nubs. It took about 8 months of trimming and treatments for me to finally have nails again. :*(

This is probably a great product for someone without problem nails who has never had issues, and has more normal tips than I.