November 21, 2014 | 1564 users online

Polishes - Orly - Purple Crush

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 9:14:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Juicy summery magneta or purply-pink. Slightly sheer and streaky on the first coat, and perfectly even on the second. Needs a top coat to prevent chipping on the 2nd day. Takes longer to dry than most of my other polishes so choosing a fast-dry top coat is a must with this shade. Looks amazing on my fair skin with slight yellow undertone. I like wearing it with a glitter top coat of "Shine on Crazy Diamond".

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2013 12:44:00 AM More reviews by MES

More of a magenta shade rather than purple as the name implies. Applied two coats, then used bubble bombshell over this, then two layers of top coat over that. Had it on for over a week and there was some very minor chipping, but not bad considering how much I use my hands at work.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2012 3:43:00 PM More reviews by diram

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

hmmmm. I'm suprised at the many reviews complaining about this color's formulation quality. I just purchased my bottle of Orly Purple Crush yesterday at our local Sally Beauty and the formula I have is perfection! The polish is not thin, yet not gloppy. It went on smooth as can be, and leveled out beautifully even when I was a bit heavy handed on certain areas of the nail. No streaks or other issues at all.

I'm wondering if my success with the application has something to do with the basecoat I used? I used Top 10's "No More Wraps", which is actually a split nail "mender" and nail reinforcer. I know I have had issues in the past with other nail polishes when I've used my Orly Bonder -- so maybe that's the difference?

As to the color, I LOVE Purple Crush! It's the closest I can get to a neon, without looking foolish. lol I would say it's a red-violet or a magenta shade. I'm always drawn to warmer pinks/coral pinks, but they always make my cool-beige toned olive skin look sallow-yellow-green. This cool toned vibrant magenta, though, is very flattering against my skintone, even when I'm without a tan as I am currently, so YAY for that! :-)

The only negative I have about this particular nail polish shade is that it does dry down dull. I wouldn't say it was a "matte" finish, however. What's frustrating is that on the orly site, this collection (Hot Stuff collex) is described as being "high shine". ??

EDIT:
I used Poshe topcoat over it (I had originally mistakenly said I had used ChG Fast Forward! FF is actually a super shiney topcoat,and I will review it later!), and it (Poshe) did add a bit of shine, but not as much as I had hoped (but the dry time is fab!). Next time, once I buy some more, I'll use CND Super Shiney as my topcoat (that one always delivers!), or I will use ChG Fast Forward.

I should take off 1 pt for the dullness factor, BUT I'm soooooooooo excited to find a BRIGHT pink/red/violet toned np that actually works with my skincolor, that I am willing to forgive the finish. :) A swipe of Solar Oil, after applying the topcoat, adds some temporary high shine.

If you are cool to neutral toned and are looking for a VIBRANT cool toned reddish-violet np, I think you would like this color.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/30/2012 9:12:00 AM More reviews by Drigsby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

You definitely need to master a sort of technique with this one. Have a lot of polish on your brush, and quickly paint your nail with it: else, polish begins to dry while you paint and leaves a very nasty textured finish. Color is awesome and true, however I wouldn't wear this if you like the elegant look. The texture gives it sort of a "younger" appeal. Matte

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2012 9:14:00 PM More reviews by AmyDbaby

Wow you guys were not kidding! This stuff is really bad. The color is gorgeous and for me it looks the same on my nails as it does in the bottle BUT it dried matte (nowhere on the bottle does it say this is a matte polish ) and it really does peel off in sheets. I did a pedi just yesterday and today my two pinky toes are without half their polish. Just peeled off somewhere, somehow. I've never seen anything like it. This totally sucks. Great color but what good does that do me if it doesn't stay on? Big fail Orly.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/30/2011 12:33:00 PM More reviews by ShadowDreamr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

First of all, I thought the color was a perfect match right out of the bottle; following the instructions by applying 2 coats of paint. It matched well with my skin tone (I have a golden undertone). The color was vibrant and cheerful and to get it shiny I also used a top coat. Problem was, it did chip after one day of applying. I thought it was a problem with the top coat as I was using SH No Chip Acrylic Top Coat. The paint came off in pieces no matter what I did! Back to the point, I bought a really great base coat and in combinaton with the top coat (no matter what brand), the polish now lasts me 1 week. No chipping and no flakes of paint everywhere..
So if you decide to buy any Orly nail polish..make sure you have a good base and top coat.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/21/2011 7:41:00 PM More reviews by mariechaton

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love Orly but HATE this colour. In the bottle it looks a vibrant fuschia-purple, yet when painted on it is a MATTE, thin, flash-less bore. Apply 2 more coats & the colour intensifies, yet it is still matte/NO shine. Needed top coat for shine. Began chipping almost immediately then PEELED off in larger pieces. The only Orly colour I have ever returned. Stay away from this colour.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2011 3:12:00 PM More reviews by fus255

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I thought this was terrible. When applied without any base coat, it will literally peel off in about a day.. note that I wrote 'PEEL' not 'CHIP' off. So sad about this, it truly is a gorgeous colour!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2011 12:04:00 PM More reviews by bea2ls82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

this comes out more purple on me but it's not an HG or one of my faves. it can be fun for summer on my toes

rated 1 of 5 on 10/14/2010 10:51:00 PM More reviews by DiscoverBeauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this nail polish hoping for an awesome purple that's bright and flirty. Instead, I got RED!!! The color is not true at all. After I put on the first coat it was not purple, it was red. So I decided that maybe the second coat would do it, but I was wrong because it got even more red. I will NEVER repurchase this again. If I wanted a red colored nail polish I would a buy a red nail polish. Not something that looks purple but comes out red. Orly really failed on this one.