4.3

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have to say, I was a little skeptical at first, but after researching the science behind it, it made perfect sense. I have been using it once a month (2 mm) for about 8 months and have seen a significant difference in my skin. I had deep scars from a previous skin infection, severe hyperpigmentation (melasma) from birth control pills, and mild wrinkles (I'm 37). I tried several EXPENSIVE prescription creams for the hyperpigmentation, and even after months of consistent daily use, I did not see any improvement. I got a derma roller on Ebay for about $8 (.5 mm) and thought, why not?
I saw a huge improvement after about 3 months of once a week use, and gradually increased to a 2 mm. I use it once a month as advised, and have seen an even more drastic difference. The deep scarring has faded (not completely gone, but very light), the hyperpigmentation has gone from severe to mild, and I am pretty much wrinkle-free.
LADIES: FOR THIS DEVICE TO WORK, YOU NEED TO DO IT CONTINUOUSLY AND CONSISTENTLY.
The downside of this is that it is mild to moderately painful, depending on the length of the needle. I would advise anyone who uses a 1.5 mm or longer, USE A NUMBIMG CREAM FIRST (you can get 5% lidocaine on ebay for pretty cheap), because if you use this device correctly, IT WILL STING AND YOU WILL BLEED A LITTLE. If you're using a 1 mm or smaller, the redness it will cause will go away overnight for the most part. If you are using over a 1 mm, think about taking off work and hiding out in your house for about 2 days, as it will produce redness similar to a very bad sunburn. And don't try to cover it with cosmetics. This will only further irritate it and may cause infection, as this is a slightly invasive procedure. Make sure to cleanse your face twice a day for 3-4 days afterwards with a mild astringent.
THE BOTTOM LINE: THIS DEVICE WORKS-WITH PERMANENT RESULTS-BUT ONLY IF YOU DO IT CORRECTLY, AND AS OFTEN AS RECOMMENDED!
I really hope this post will encourage all of you considering using it!

i have so much acne scaring, and now my skin has calmed down in terms of break outs.
BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO ME. my friend recommended and my skin has never looked better. started with 0.75 and now m onto 1

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I started derma rolling this past summer and just finished up my 4th session. And the results are amazing! The first 3 sessions I didn't really see lots of improvement but by the 4th all my pitted scars have improved drastically I'd say 60-70% gone. i have 1 round pitted scar that was so noticeable on my cheek and i was so self concious about it and its almost completely gone! Half of the circle filled in and the other half is almost gone. I think 2 or 3 more sessions and it'll all be gone! My skin looks smoother and more even now:) I use a 1.0 and I recommend pulling your skin taught and most important puffing up your cheeks so the derma roller can get into those pitted scars better if you dont it might not go deep enough to get them. I derma roll every 4-5 weeks. You don't want to roll when you have active acne cause if you roll over it you'll spread bacteria and get more acne. If you have lots of acne get a derma stamp

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Did something to my skin in my forehead. Would never do this again.

I've just joined this website and wanted to share my experience with the dermaroller! I know this website is mainly for face products and I've only used the dermaroller on stretch marks on my boobs but stretch marks are scars, as are acne scarring. No, they're not exactly the same but the dermaroller works the same way on both, by inducing collagen. Also, this website is mainly for ladies, and an estimated 90% of us have stretch marks so I'm sure this review will be very helpful!

I'm not going to explain how it works because there is so much info out there, even some of the other reviews on this website explain how it induces collagen! I'm also going to skip the whole "how to" process because if you're interested, there is more than enough info online! One thing I will say because I believe it's EXTREMELY important, is to respect the down time between roles!! Do NOT use it too often or you risk damaging your skin (1mm=once every 4 weeks; 1.5mm=once every 6 weeks; 2mm=once every 8 weeks)

I started with a 1.5mm dermaroller over a year ago on my breasts which are COVERED in stretch marks from puberty. It really bothered me because I don't have big breasts by any means, I think I just developed too quickly. I've had the since the age of 13 and at around 17 I lost about 30 pounds, which means my boobs shrunk.. That wouldn't bother me except that since I literally had more scar tissue than normal skin, the skin didn't shrink accordingly and I was left with deflated, wrinkly breasts. For two years they really didn't get any better, I was expecting over time for them to resume a smoother "perkier" shape but that didn't happen. Also, for some reason the stretch marks were red since the day I got them. I've never found an answer as to why, normally they should fade to white but that never happened either..

Anyways, I researched the dermaroller for about a year before buying it and finally taking the plunge. I started with a 1.5mm dermaroller for the first two sessions then moved on to the 1.5mm dermastamp for about 8 sessions and for the last 2 sessions I've been using the 2mm dermastamp. I DEFINITELY recommend the dermastamp over the roller for scarring, it's more precise and even though it takes longer per session, the results are much better (I've read A LOT of reviews, and I'm not the only one to say this). I have also been using vitamin C serum every few days and recently started using infadolan. All of which I order through Owndoc, which I highly recommend. Products are great quality, not expensive and customer service is great. (No, I don't work for them. I'm saying this because they mention on their website that to keep prices down they don't advertise, so they rely solely on recommendations from happy customers!)

RESULTS: Incredible. Amazing. No, my stretch marks are not completely gone but the improvement is beyond what I would have thought. Patience is key though, this is a long process and I think I'll be using the dermastamp for at least another few years before I get where I want to be. At the moment though, my stretch marks are breaking up (patches of normal skin within the stretch mark) and are losing their deep red colour, now they are pink and blend in more with the skin around it. They are also shallower so they're not as "wrinkly-looking. Most importantly, now that the skin is healthier, it has tightened up and my breasts are looking perkier, despite the fact that I've lost another 5 pounds this year and they are even smaller (I'm trying to get really lean, I might just lose my boobs all together and I'd hate to have empty stretch marked flaps in their place). They look less sad and droopy now haha
I'll be honest, it's been over a year and only now I wouldn't die of embarrassment if a stranger saw my breasts in the changing room at the gym or something. I'm still not confident enough to go topless at the beach, but who knows, if I continue maybe a couple of summers from now I might!! Yes, it does take a while but if you truly want a permanent change that doesn't damage your skin and is inexpensive than this is the best way to go. The way I see it is, time is going to go by regardless of wether or not you do it, so do future-you a favor and start now (This was originally my motivation for losing weight, getting healthy and going to the gym every day.. I have to say, present-me can't thank past-me enough for thinking that way!!)
I definitely recommend this for any scarring, but do your research before and be committed if you want to see any improvements.. It's not going to happen overnight. At the same time though, it's really cool to see your skin slowly change! As with any slow changes, sometimes you don't notice them until you compare it to before, so definitely take pictures to compare!!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Excited for my first post on MA.

I've been a member for two years — yes, two years — and have never uttered a single word. Shame on me!

I'm a certified-closet-beauty-junkie, spending hundreds of dollars each quarter trying new things. That said, I'm by no means a dermal-champion. Quite to the contrary, I still feel like I stumble around 75% of the time — looking for Mr. Right-Product — as I jump from one product to another to try and solve the hot issue of the moment. That said, I still have the ability to show some brand loyalty — a "for lifer" product from time to time.

Derma-Rolling: I started rolling 7 months ago; twice a month with 1.0 titanium needles. Despite having used Sculptra, Juviderm, Radiesse and Botox, needles are a rough one for me. That fear started after using Radiesse prior to (their) adding Lido to the product. I would cry, not weep, but literally, ball my flip'n eyes out, during the procedure. Now that they've added Lido, it's not as effective. Go figure!

That said, I do NOT look forward to rolling. I have an existential crisis every time my calendar beeps that I'm due to ROLL. I'm a bleeder (no, I'm not a Hemophiliac, thankfully) and, yes, I'm a gross-horror-mess after rolling. The results, however, keep me rolling.

I don't have acne and never did. I roll for pigmentation, fine lines, and a bit of sagging. Did I just admit to... sagging? Moreover, my skin looks dewier post roll (7-10 days out).

I'm not promoting any one roller brand. The reason I finally jumped into MA as a "submitter of words" was my delight in reading other's reviews of the Derminator and the lessening of pain in the process.

I caved and added this item to my budget this month — and ordered it!

I don't have it yet. When I do, I'll do a full review.

So, thanks to those that spoke about that item!!! I want to continue to roll, but I find it challenging to psych myself into dinging myself with needles. (I don't use numbing creme as I'm trying to avoid nerve damage that I've read about). Yes, I'm a mild (on the scoville pepper scale) paranoid about what I put in and under my skin. Read: pretty particular with lots of research behind purchases.

Hoping that I can add some of my finds here that will help others as I was helped in making my latest purchasing decision!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Idek about collagen production but I have been using this for 2 months now (I bought mine off amazon for 10$) and I have to say my skin is brighter and much less dry and I have a noticeable difference. I would say though don't use this more than once a week and if you're rolling so hard you see blood, you're doing it wrong.

I am very pleased with my last two dermaroller sessions. I used a 1mm during my first session and a 2mm for my section session. I have had some significant results and I cannot wait to see what my skin is going to look like after several more sessions. I have noticed a 5-10% improvement in my acne scars (rolling and box scars) and a 30% reduction is hyperpigmentation. I space my dermaroller sessions 8-9 weeks apart to set aside enough time for the collagen to starting filling in the scars on my face. Immediately following a session I use a copper peptides serum to further induce collagen production and follow up with 100% jojoba oil and shea butter to keep my skin moisturized. The texture of my skin was rough for the first three days following the microneedling, which made it difficult to go out in public. However, once my skin began peeling on days 4-6 I noticed that my skin looked amazing. Remember that your skin will look 100% better immediately following the dermaroller session and this is only temporary. The needles cause trauma to the face which induces microswelling that will dissipate within 7-10 days. You should judge your results after 2-3 months following a session after you have given your skin enough time to produce collagen. Overall, this is a must try home procedure for scars and hyperpigmentation! I have never please so happy with a scar treatment in my life. Highly recommend.

PS, I use Owndoc dermarollers (reasonably priced and well made) and a Deep Numb 5% lidocaine gel to temporarily numb my face prior to derma rolling.This can be found on amazon and eBay.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sooo glad I found this product - this really is one of the best things you can buy for your skin, especially if you have scarring or large pores. I bought my dermaroller from Medik8 for around 80 USD$ / 40 GBP. Brand doesnt really matter, though I do recommend getting one with titanium / medical grade stainless steel needles if possible, and make sure the roller comes with a storage case (helps with hygiene). Mine came with free disinfectant solution which was a cool bonus.

In terms of needle size, the Medik8 site suggested:

Home use - 0.2mm
Clinical use - 0.5mm
Medical use - 1.0mm, 1.5mm, 2mm

Since purchasing I've read different things about what size of needle is best - some people say scarring can only be fixed with a longer needle size like a 1.0 or higher but I bought a 0.5 and it's helped my acne scars a LOT. I had shallow ice pick, rolling and boxcar scars on both cheeks, as well as a deep circular chickenpox scar on the bridge of my nose. I use my roller once every 3 or 4 weeks, covering the areas where my scars are. After using it for the last 12 months I can honestly say my skin looks great. The scars have minimized drastically and some aren't even visible anymore. The worst, which was the chickenpox scar, has almost totally disappeared. I actually feel confident enough to go out without makeup now; something I would never have done before I started rolling. My foundation used to sit in the pores/pits of my skin, even with primer, but now I have a really smoothed-out base.

I recommend starting out with a clean, exfoliated face. Disinfect the needles before using and let them air dry. When you roll you should ideally be drawing small amounts of blood (ice pick sized drops). You shouldn't be rolling hard enough to damage your skin but you have to apply pressure or else you won't pierce the dermal layer of the skin, which is the whole point of using the dermaroller. The needles break up old scar tissue and force the skin to repair the tiny puncture wounds by producing new collagen, which - in turn - fills in scars. Each time you roll, new collagen builds up and eventually you end up with smoother, plumper skin.

Rolling *does* hurt but the results are definitely worth it. Afterwards your skin looks like you have minor sunburn and feels quite tender, but this subsides in a few days. The downtime is about 5 days in total - if you have somewhere important to go, keep this in mind. The first 2 days after rolling you get skin tightness and micro-swelling, and slight flaking the day after that. After rolling, run the needles under hot water, disinfect and allow to air dry.

I'd say its probably a good idea not to roll more than once every 3 weeks. It takes around 3 - 4 weeks for the skin to heal and for new collagen to build up. If you roll more frequently you risk breaking down the collagen, which kind of destroys the purpose.

I think whether or not the dermaroller is for you depends on your level of pain tolerance, and how bad you want to fix your skin. If you have scarring then I really do recommend buying one as it really does help. I've heard dermaroller is also beneficial in terms of anti-aging but being 21 I don't really know how effective this is yet. I guess it'd probably work on fine lines and wrinkles, because of the collagen build up and tightening effect. Either way, at the very least it helps products (moisturizers etc) absorb better, so even if you don't have any major skin problems/scarring, its worth buying one just to enhance product absorption. I don't recommend using a dermaroller on sensitive skin or active acne.

Just to update my review Ive been checking out my bare face in the mirror recently in different kinds of lighting (harsh sunlight, sunset, white light etc) and not to sound conceited but it looks truly flawless in all of them. It used to be that I couldnt stand seeing my face even with makeup in natural lighting as you could really notice my scars/large pores and how my foundation just sat on top of them. Now my skin actually glows when I look at it in natural lighting. The pores are almost invisible and the scars just arent there anymore, its like theyve been totally filled in. I dont mean to gush but after having acne (some of it cystic) I honestly never thought Id have perfect skin again, and yet thanks to the Dermaroller I have. You cant even tell I ever had skin problems.

Something else I noticed is that I used to have lines/line scarring on my cheeks when I smiled, like my face wasnt tight enough. Theyve totally disappeared now and my face is a lot smoother/tighter when I smile, so I guess the Dermaroller also has a tightening effect as well as all its other benefits; which means it works well as an anti-aging tool

OK... let me just tell you a few things that you would be thankful to be told in relation to the use of a derma roller.

1. It does not matter whether you buy a 70 dermaroller or a 5 dermaroller, you will see the same results on your skin. The difference is one comes in fancy packaging and the more expensive one probably has stronger plastic in the handle, but who cares? You'd have to be really strong to break a 5 one anyway. Trust me on this, I am usually snobby when it comes to skincare because I really want what's best for my skin (!!!) But really with the dermaroller, there's no difference in results.

2. After reading about all of the benefits of the dermaroller online and ordering one, I thought "wow I'm going to use this so often and my skin will be so even toned". I suppose I was right and wrong, I'll explain. Ok this is why I was wrong... after you dermaroll you are quite red but some areas on your face may not go as red so you'll get this patchy red look. Not cute. I work every saturday and I'm not going to represent their business with my dermarolled face. The redness lasts for about 3-4 days for me, so I just make sure that I dermaroll at least 5 days before working. The reason why I was right is that your skin evens out with every use so if I didn't have a job then I would be dermarolling every 3 days. I am also on a summer break from school so that's why I'm using a dermaroller now rather than when my face would be seen and judged (sad but true ahaha).

3. Last but not least, if you are lucky enough to have found your holy grail mask, treatment or oil, use it after using the dermaroller because the product will absorb sooooo much more into your skin.

I've had great results with this for mild + almost moderate acne scarring! I hope you have great results too!:)

Popular Misc Beauty Tools