4.2

on 8/18/2015 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is such a gimmick product and I'm so glad I researched it first. So let's see...you're puncturing holes in healthy skin, destroying collagen and opening up portals of infection, letting products potentially penetrate too deeply and leaving your skin in a constant state of inflammation & stress to repair itself. Not smart. Exfoliation is easily achieved through the right alpha or beta hydroxy acid amongst other healthy ways.

Don't fall for the hype, do your research and use a heavy duty sunscreen & quality (has nothing to do with price) products. That's the ONLY way to prevent wrinkles.

I am very pleased with my last two dermaroller sessions. I used a 1mm during my first session and a 2mm for my section session. I have had some significant results and I cannot wait to see what my skin is going to look like after several more sessions. I have noticed a 5-10% improvement in my acne scars (rolling and box scars) and a 30% reduction is hyperpigmentation. I space my dermaroller sessions 8-9 weeks apart to set aside enough time for the collagen to starting filling in the scars on my face. Immediately following a session I use a copper peptides serum to further induce collagen production and follow up with 100% jojoba oil and shea butter to keep my skin moisturized. The texture of my skin was rough for the first three days following the microneedling, which made it difficult to go out in public. However, once my skin began peeling on days 4-6 I noticed that my skin looked amazing. Remember that your skin will look 100% better immediately following the dermaroller session and this is only temporary. The needles cause trauma to the face which induces microswelling that will dissipate within 7-10 days. You should judge your results after 2-3 months following a session after you have given your skin enough time to produce collagen. Overall, this is a must try home procedure for scars and hyperpigmentation! I have never please so happy with a scar treatment in my life. Highly recommend.

PS, I use Owndoc dermarollers (reasonably priced and well made) and a Deep Numb 5% lidocaine gel to temporarily numb my face prior to derma rolling.This can be found on amazon and eBay.

on 8/2/2015 10:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sooo glad I found this product - this really is one of the best things you can buy for your skin, especially if you have scarring or large pores. I bought my dermaroller from Medik8 for around 80 USD$ / 40 GBP£. Brand doesnt really matter, though I do recommend getting one with titanium / medical grade stainless steel needles if possible, and make sure the roller comes with a storage case (helps with hygiene). Mine came with free disinfectant solution which was a cool bonus.

In terms of needle size, the Medik8 site suggested:

Home use - 0.2mm
Clinical use - 0.5mm
Medical use - 1.0mm, 1.5mm, 2mm

Since purchasing I've read different things about what size of needle is best - some people say scarring can only be fixed with a longer needle size like a 1.0 or higher but I bought a 0.5 and it's helped my acne scars a LOT. I had shallow ice pick, rolling and boxcar scars on both cheeks, as well as a deep circular chickenpox scar on the bridge of my nose. I use my roller once every 3 or 4 weeks, covering the areas where my scars are. After using it for the last 12 months I can honestly say my skin looks great. The scars have minimized drastically and some aren't even visible anymore. The worst, which was the chickenpox scar, has almost totally disappeared. I actually feel confident enough to go out without makeup now; something I would never have done before I started rolling. My foundation used to sit in the pores/pits of my skin, even with primer, but now I have a really smoothed-out base.

I recommend starting out with a clean, exfoliated face. Disinfect the needles before using and let them air dry. When you roll you should ideally be drawing small amounts of blood (ice pick sized drops). You shouldn't be rolling hard enough to damage your skin but you have to apply pressure or else you won't pierce the dermal layer of the skin, which is the whole point of using the dermaroller. The needles break up old scar tissue and force the skin to repair the tiny puncture wounds by producing new collagen, which - in turn - fills in scars. Each time you roll, new collagen builds up and eventually you end up with smoother, plumper skin.

Rolling *does* hurt but the results are definitely worth it. Afterwards your skin looks like you have minor sunburn and feels quite tender, but this subsides in a few days. The downtime is about 5 days in total - if you have somewhere important to go, keep this in mind. The first 2 days after rolling you get skin tightness and micro-swelling, and slight flaking the day after that. After rolling, run the needles under hot water, disinfect and allow to air dry.

I'd say its probably a good idea not to roll more than once every 3 weeks. It takes around 3 - 4 weeks for the skin to heal and for new collagen to build up. If you roll more frequently you risk breaking down the collagen, which kind of destroys the purpose.

I think whether or not the dermaroller is for you depends on your level of pain tolerance, and how bad you want to fix your skin. If you have scarring then I really do recommend buying one as it really does help. I've heard dermaroller is also beneficial in terms of anti-aging but being 21 I don't really know how effective this is yet. I guess it'd probably work on fine lines and wrinkles, because of the collagen build up and tightening effect. Either way, at the very least it helps products (moisturizers etc) absorb better, so even if you don't have any major skin problems/scarring, its worth buying one just to enhance product absorption. I don't recommend using a dermaroller on sensitive skin or active acne.

Just to update my review – I’ve been checking out my bare face in the mirror recently in different kinds of lighting (harsh sunlight, sunset, white light etc) and not to sound conceited but it looks truly flawless in all of them. It used to be that I couldn’t stand seeing my face – even with makeup – in natural lighting as you could really notice my scars/large pores and how my foundation just sat on top of them. Now my skin actually glows when I look at it in natural lighting. The pores are almost invisible and the scars just aren’t there anymore, it’s like they’ve been totally filled in. I don’t mean to gush but after having acne (some of it cystic) I honestly never thought I’d have perfect skin again, and yet thanks to the Dermaroller I have. You can’t even tell I ever had skin problems.

Something else I noticed is that I used to have lines/line scarring on my cheeks when I smiled, like my face wasn’t tight enough. They’ve totally disappeared now and my face is a lot smoother/tighter when I smile, so I guess the Dermaroller also has a tightening effect as well as all its other benefits; which means it works well as an anti-aging tool

on 7/30/2015 7:23:00 PM

OK... let me just tell you a few things that you would be thankful to be told in relation to the use of a derma roller.

1. It does not matter whether you buy a £70 dermaroller or a £5 dermaroller, you will see the same results on your skin. The difference is one comes in fancy packaging and the more expensive one probably has stronger plastic in the handle, but who cares? You'd have to be really strong to break a £5 one anyway. Trust me on this, I am usually snobby when it comes to skincare because I really want what's best for my skin (£££££££!!!) But really with the dermaroller, there's no difference in results.

2. After reading about all of the benefits of the dermaroller online and ordering one, I thought "wow I'm going to use this so often and my skin will be so even toned". I suppose I was right and wrong, I'll explain. Ok this is why I was wrong... after you dermaroll you are quite red but some areas on your face may not go as red so you'll get this patchy red look. Not cute. I work every saturday and I'm not going to represent their business with my dermarolled face. The redness lasts for about 3-4 days for me, so I just make sure that I dermaroll at least 5 days before working. The reason why I was right is that your skin evens out with every use so if I didn't have a job then I would be dermarolling every 3 days. I am also on a summer break from school so that's why I'm using a dermaroller now rather than when my face would be seen and judged (sad but true ahaha).

3. Last but not least, if you are lucky enough to have found your holy grail mask, treatment or oil, use it after using the dermaroller because the product will absorb sooooo much more into your skin.

I've had great results with this for mild + almost moderate acne scarring! I hope you have great results too!:)

on 6/30/2015 12:31:00 AM

I have used the derma-rolling method more than a few times and I can honestly say I liked it! It didn't really hurt and I push hard! I use it when I'm breaking out (around my period) and after I roll my whole face I always apply some type of toner or acne fighting skin product. I like to use rubbing alcohol on my skin directly after rolling but I don't do this often because it is not good for your skin in the long run (using rubbing alcohol). I feel like it's a fast quick fix to stubborn pimples. I always do it at night because your face will be bright red and you don't want to put makeup on after doing this because you literally have holes in your face and you would clog your pores so bad and probably cause infections and acne if you put face makeup on after derma-rolling. Doing it before bed is the best because when you wake up in the morning all the redness is gone and the holes have closed up so you can apply some face products! I do recommend it if you have acne or scarring!! Happy derma-rolling!

on 6/24/2015 3:49:00 AM

Please, don't fall for this. In the long run, you are puncturing and wounding your skin. Find another method.

on 6/11/2015 1:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I bought mine on amazon for $6 and it is 1.0 mm. I use it once a week because it does leave redness. I use it mainly on my temples of the forehead where I have deep acne scar pits. After my skin healed I notice my scars are reduced and skin looks smoother. I've been doing this for a month now and I think in 2 more months my scars will totally disappear. I also use vitamin C creme after rolling to produce more collagen and even out the skin tone.

on 5/11/2015 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have been dermarolling for about six months. I have used a few different models ranging from 1.0 to 1.5. My favorite one is by Lilian Fache available for purchase from Amazon. I am 35 with very fair skin that is prone to broke capillaries. I originally purchased this to try and correct some mild acne scarring and some light brown skin patches. One thing I did not expect was the reduction of broken capillaries on the bridge of my nose and around my nostrils. I've had laser treatments (IPL and VBeam) in the past which helped a little but they're expensive and the capillaries always returned. I am absolutely ecstatic! Dermarolling has also improved my mild scars and brown spots. I use the 1.0 roller once every week or two. Be cautioned, it hurts (I use a lidocaine cream) and the results are cumulative. As I mentioned above, I've been doing this for about six months and so far I'm at about 40% improvement. I can't say dermarolling will work for everyone, but it works for me. With my current success rate, I will definitely continue dermarolling!

on 4/28/2015 4:33:00 PM

ordered this a while ago but wanted to wait to write a review in the chance I did see a difference. Skin is not badly scarred but I have some dark pink, dimpled marks on my chin from when I had acne. I bought this out of desperation after wasting my product on lotions and potions that promised to help. I can't belive I'm saying this . . .this thing really works! After 2 uses over a couple of weeks my skin is 80% better. And every day I wake up they have improved. If you're in two minds about getting it, I promise you it's worth the gamble!

on 4/4/2015 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

i saw this being advertised on banishacnescars.com and i noticed other beauty bloggers such as huda beauty try this. She had just bought her own dermaroller from her sisters salon and used her own creams/serums. I took initiative and did the same, i ordered it from amazon for £5 the 0.5mm needle and i love it. At first when i tried this my skin was all red and blotchy and it was quite sensitive for a few days and it dried out my skin loads however i saw results instantly. I use it once a week sometimes twice a week when i am not being lazy with a vitamin c serum and my scars have visibly reduced, my skin is so much smoother and the pitted scars i have on my face due to acne are dissapearing. This product is amazing, i love it and i dont know where i would be without it.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools